+247

today I was riding around on a wheelchair, just for fun... and this black girl said, "That's tight! Can you rode me around on it?" I'm not racist, but some black people really need to learn how to talk. amirite?

MikeGoLites avatar
1 35
The voters have decided that MikeGoLite is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

or saying "let me AKS you something" it's pronounced ASK, not AXE

@omgbky or saying "let me AKS you something" it's pronounced ASK, not AXE

(Lazynez):@51082 (omgbky): lol I say that all the time. It's an accent. I know how it's spelled.

and pixa instead of pizza or sangwitch instead of sandwhich. with mexicans

This is an example of a different dialect. African American Vernacular English (Ebonics) is a different way for people to express themselves. Many people grow up in households that speak it, around neighbors that use it, etc. And dialects like this are just as complicated as Standard American English (what many see as "proper English"), with its own rules and grammar. These people aren't being lazy, they're just more familiar with a different dialect than what you are used to.

Saying one dialect is "more correct" than another is as ignorant as saying one language is better than another, like French is a more correct language than Russian. They're just different, but are all just ways of communicating and expressing yourself. Just because you don't understand it or speak it doesn't mean it's wrong.

beils avatar beil No Way +2Reply
@beil This is an example of a different dialect. African American Vernacular English (Ebonics) is a different way for...

I think that certainly, in some formal situations (writing papers, job interviews, business meetings, etc) Standard American English is better to use due to more universal understanding and acceptance. But in informal situations, like the one described in this post, one dialect isn't any better than another.

It just bothers you because all through school teachers try to teach what they believe is "proper" English. So students are taught to believe any other way of speaking is wrong, instead of learning to see it as just a different way of speaking.

beils avatar beil No Way +2Reply

Everyone's a little bit racist.

@Everyone's a little bit racist.

considers singing a song from Avenue Q, but decides against it

@Everyone's a little bit racist.

It's true. But everyone is just about as racist as youuuu-uuuuuuu-uuuuuuuuuu~

lots of people use bad grammar. it's not just a black or southern thing like people seem to think. but i'm not gonna call you racist because its overused and it doesn't really apply here

I know. I rarely see whites using incorrect english, but grammar is universal. But, yea, blacks do need to spiff up their english. As well as every other race. I just see it more common in blacks at my school.

Lazynezs avatar Lazynez Yeah You Are 0Reply

...that's what she said.

Saying I'm not racist in front of this post makes it sound like you know you're saying something offensive.

@ilostmyshoe Saying I'm not racist in front of this post makes it sound like you know you're saying something offensive.

yes, I do know it is offensive. but it is also true. "Tongans are fatter than most other people" Some people may take offense to that... but that doesn't make it untrue.

Hispanic people used bad grammar alot too.. but they have an excuse, because most of them speak Spanish at home.

Black people have no excuse. They need to learn how to talk.

MikeGoLites avatar MikeGoLite Yeah You Are 0Reply
@MikeGoLite yes, I do know it is offensive. but it is also true. "Tongans are fatter than most other people" Some people may...

White people use bad grammar too. Just look at some of the posts on this site. You can't tell me that all of those posters are black and hispanic. It's not a race thing. It's a stupid teenager thing.

A lot of hispanics grew up or were born in this country, go to english speaking schools and speak english outside and inside of their homes. There's not much of an excuse there either.

there are plenty of white people that talk like that and worse so shut up. thats racist and ignorent to say black people when there are plenty of white people that do the same thing everyday all the time. your not being truthful your being just plain racist and as a black person that doesnt talk like that and knows many who don't,but also understands that these days those are mistakes in speech EVERYBODY makes, i take high offence to that.@51251 (MikeGoLite):

@there are plenty of white people that talk like that and worse so shut up. thats racist and ignorent to say black...

i love how anyone says anything that can be seen as racist and its automatically assumed there white. or people make comments about whites doing the same thing. that in and of its self is racist.

lemme guess.. she also wanted some SKRIMP?

EVERYONE, no not SOME people, but EVERYONE makes some grammatical errors sometime in their lives. You can't be ALWAYS perfect, you know. And that kind of IS racist.

@EVERYONE, no not SOME people, but EVERYONE makes some grammatical errors sometime in their lives. You can't be...

Like, how your sentence is kind of worded oddly. "You can't be always perfect" doesn't sound right to me. Maybe, "You can't always be perfect"? But then again that sounds no better.

There's a diffence between being stereotypical and racist. In this case this person was just being ignorant with a comment made. The person did not have to be described as black but the person who wrote the post decided to include this detail creating a stereotype. I hear this a lot and it's something that needs to be corrected because it's not just peolr of color that make mistakes when they speak. White people do it too.

its racist because you included their race. if you had just said, "some people need to learn how to speak," it would have been fine

I live in the South and on average I hear white people, as well as blacks, both talk incorrectly. I have a very thick southern accent, but just because I'm black doesn't mean I don't know how to talk.
Jerk.
But, I'm slightly mollified by you putting 'some' in your post and not lumping us all together.

I apologize to everybody... I'm really not racist. It was just an observation. I know that people of ALL races use incorrect grammar frequently.

However, based on my observations -- where I live and at my school -- a higher percentage of black people than white people and hispanic people use terrible grammar like this.

It's just an observation though.

It's amazing how you say some black people need to learn how to talk when I'm pretty sure that a white person saying "I like go to the mall" is not correct grammer either. Just because you say no offense does not mean people won't be offended.

ignorent jack ass.

@ignorent jack ass.

I second your opinion.

I'm not racist, but some white people really need to learn to take care of thier hair, and stop spreading lice.
Now, how does that sound to you? A little bit racist, huh?

Actually You sound pretty Racist .

@Actually You sound pretty Racist .

I know right. I hear many people of different ethnicity talk incorrectly. So it should not be some black people it should be that one person you are talking about.