+185

Saying that atheism requires faith is as stupid as saying that disbelieving in the tooth fairy requires faith, amirite?

2 11

don't you have faith in science? or are you just nothing.

@don't you have faith in science? or are you just nothing.

... That isn't exactly atheism, and is that second sentence a question? I think I see a period at the end of it.

Buttss avatar Butts Yeah You Are 0Reply

Faith is different than knowing. Religion requires faith in a smilie god/gods. Being atheist requires the knowledge of science/knowing science is right. It does not take faith to know something and it does not take knowledge to have faith.

Faith is:
1 a : allegiance to duty or a person : loyalty b (1) : fidelity to one's promises (2) : sincerity of intentions
2 a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust
3 : something that is believed especially with strong conviction; especially : a system of religious beliefs <the Protestant faith>
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/faith

Since there's technically no proof God doesn't exist you need faith to believe he doesn't. And since there's technically no proof that he does you need faith for that too. Just like you need to believe that the toothfairy exists or doesn't exist. It requires a strong conviction in something not proven true (faith).

@ilostmyshoe Since there's technically no proof God doesn't exist you need faith to believe he doesn't. And since there's...

We need to faith to know that science is correct? Really? I'm not sure how we have faith in something that already proves itself to be right.

@We need to faith to know that science is correct? Really? I'm not sure how we have faith in something that already...

I never said anything about science. I was talking about whether or not God exists. Science does not prove or disprove his existence. Since his existence cannot be proven or disproven it takes faith to believe or not believe in him if we're going by webster's defintion of 'faith'.

richard dawkins?

Now I'm confused

athiesm requires you to have faith that there is nothing to have faith in

@SirCheekyBastard athiesm requires you to have faith that there is nothing to have faith in

exactly, its what you believe and you fight for your argument so you have to have faith in it or you don't believe it.