+540

Isn't black technically the most colorful? it is composed of all colors, amirite?

raequinn101s avatar
5 47
The voters have decided that raequinn101 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Well, when referring to light, black is an absence of color. But when dealing with pigment, it is all colors.
Just saying

@Coday Well, when referring to light, black is an absence of color. But when dealing with pigment, it is all colors. Just...

If you look at a triangular prism with a beam of white light shining into it, red, blue, and yellow will exit the other side. Black is the absence, white is a composure of the three main ones which make up the others.

@mlpanda13 If you look at a triangular prism with a beam of white light shining into it, red, blue, and yellow will exit the...

Yes, but when you aren't referring to light, and you are talking about pigment (paint, crayons, etc.) then a mixture of all colors makes a black color.

@mlpanda13 How do YOU explain white paint?

No pigment in the fluid. Thus no color. So it's white.

@Coday No pigment in the fluid. Thus no color. So it's white.

Ok, I admit defeat on this count...
The post never specifies what was meant, so I thought I was helping your post about the light aspect.

@Coday yeah, the whole reason i said the pigment thing anyway was incase anyone got confused :s

No problem! I understand. I woulda done the same thing... I HAVE done the same thing! XD

White is composed of all colors. Black is the absence of color.

@White is composed of all colors. Black is the absence of color.

Actually, as the person above you said, this is only the case with light. With pigment, black is composed of many colors.

@Actually, as the person above you said, this is only the case with light. With pigment, black is composed of many...

exactly what i was going to say. Artistically speaking, white is the absence of color and black is the absence of light. Even though it's really the oposite when you're actually referring to light.

I was going on here to say that. :-) Great minds think alike.

i never said it was beautiful. i said it was the most colorful.

raequinn101s avatar raequinn101 Yeah You Are +4Reply
@raequinn101 i never said it was beautiful. i said it was the most colorful.

You did! My bad.

In that case, I would have to question what your definition of colorful is.

@wobbuffet You did! My bad. In that case, I would have to question what your definition of colorful is.

colorful as in having the most color. whether or not the colors are entirely visible.

raequinn101s avatar raequinn101 Yeah You Are 0Reply
@raequinn101 colorful as in having the most color. whether or not the colors are entirely visible.

Well I don't think any color contains more color than another color. In other words, colors on either side of the spectrum have equal amounts of color, they just interact with your eyes differently.

The definition of "colorful" is "striking with color". Using that definition, I think most people wouldn't call black the most striking, because even though it's a mixture of all the colors, you can't see each individual one.

Is the word colour starting to sound weird to anyone else?

@poppinyouall Is the word colour starting to sound weird to anyone else?

colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour colour

Oddly, no, not this time. That usually does happen though.

Pickles.

The art debate is ridiculous..

Actually black is the absence of LIGHT, not color. You can't make a true black with colors just a really really dark shade of another color. White is all colors. You can't make white with other colors though because what you see is the colors that the object is reflecting off of it. So by mixing all of the colors you wouldn't make white because then the object is reflecting all the colors back at your eyes making you see dark brown.

i thought white was the mixture of all colors, or the three main ones...or something...

Why would combining all the colors make the most beautiful color?

Yeah dude, white is all the colors! Black is the absence of color. Wikipedia that shit.

@Yeah dude, white is all the colors! Black is the absence of color. Wikipedia that shit.

If you'd read Wikipedia carefully, you'd see that this is only the case with light, and not with pigment.

Honestly who tought you guys art? White is composed of all colours, black is the absence of all colours.

I like how everyone who commented failed to read before they posted. Sure does help your case when you're calling people retards, when what you've said has already been said, and it's also 50% wrong. Sure are smart people here...

retard. black is a tone, not a colour.

actually white is composed of all the colors, black is a tone

think of it this way light composes everything we see so even with black pigmentation being composed of all colors the light doesnt refract from it making it the absence of light or absence of all colors not the presence of all colors

wouldn't that make brown?

Black isn't colorful. It absorbs all light, therefore emitting no color at all. White is actually the most coloful.

um that would be brown..black is a negative!

totallyawesomesomeginger, you're right.
black isn't considered a color, because it's none of the colors
white is all of the colors combined, geniuses.

here is a great idea, read the comments. you'll see that a lot of people say that. so don't repeat it. especially as anon.

First of all, pick a way to spell colour (with or without the u). Second of all, no, black is NOT all colours, it is the absence of colour...

White is composed of all colours, black is absence of colours

freddos avatar freddo No Way -1Reply

actually white is the mixture of all colors black is the absence of color

Like a few others on here said Black is the absence of color. Your a moron.