+680

People who use the word rape in the context of "I raped you when we played Halo last night!" NEED to STOP! It's not correct, and it really hurts and offends those who truly have been raped. amirite?

Rebecca_Anns avatar
4 37
The voters have decided that Rebecca_Ann is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

... If your a rape victim I think you have bigger worries then the language your friends use while talking about videogames.

@If your a rape victim I think you have bigger worries then the language your friends use while talking about...

still, hearing it used so casually and jokingly hurts the person who sees that word as a trigger to such a heavy and scary experience.

What if they literally raped you while playing Halo?

@Courage_Wolf What if they literally raped you while playing Halo?

You mean like ON the game where you just keep crouching and stuff on their dead bodies?

Main Entry: 3rape
Function: noun
Date: 14th century

1 : an act or instance of robbing or despoiling or carrying away a person by force
2 : unlawful sexual activity and usually sexual intercourse carried out forcibly or under threat of injury against the will usually of a female or with a person who is beneath a certain age or incapable of valid consent — compare sexual assault, statutory rape
3 : an outrageous violation

You people have no knowledge of the English language. Rape can mean many things, not just sexual assault. Therefore, your point is invalid, and you are a moron. Whiny bitch.

@Language Nazi's: 1 Rape Victims: 0

careful someone may have a relative that was violated (or is that word off limits too now) by a nazi and it could bring back horrible memories to the ones that were not even involved in such situation. Really guys if you are having a hard time accepting the language go to therapy a bit more... i can understand if the name of your rapist (if you know them like i did my rapist) upsets you but calm down its a word!!!

I don't think people realize just how rude it is,, I mean that I know for me it brings up horrible memories!

Rebecca_Anns avatar Rebecca_Ann Yeah You Are +5Reply

rape used to have a much different definition than it does now. just like gay originally meant happy, rape originally meant to carry off by force.

I'm sorry that you got raped, but leave my freedom of speech alone. I'm not going to stop using a certain word because it offends a small percent of people. Hopefully some day you can cope with what happened and actually be amused by what are intended to be and are often taken as jokes.

I used to say it all the time when playing Halo. Then I found out one of my friends was raped when she was 11. I suddenly cannot say the word without feeling bad for her. I just hope none of my other friends have that happen to them. I pray for all the people who are rape victims. It really is horrible.

i agree with this post, but im nto saying im completely insensitive to rape victims. you cant get mad when someone uses it out of context, like the person said above me, if you were really a rape victim youd have other things to worry about than just gamers saying they raped someone.

I know a lot of people that have been raped. My sister was one of them, and she never got full closure from what happened. Whenever someone would say the word rape, she would freak out because it brought back so many bad memories to her and it felt like she was reliving the pain.
Why would you want to make someone go through that?

Wow.

I'm sorry for you rape victims.
But at the same time...it is just a WORD. If you are going to allow yourself to be destroyed by a word, then how are you going to go through life? More therapy, please, and get your sense of humor back.

You can't let syllables run your life or those around you. It is just noise without meaning. If you put the meaning to it then it will own you. This goes for all words, love, hate, racial slurs or anything offensive.

Like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, offense is in the ear of the listener. You got to tolerate them if you want them to tolerate you. Let them say it but make it clear not near you if it affects you. You cannot be double standarded and demand they respect your feelings and ignore theirs. They don't have to say it but you don't have to listen.

Oh and btw I was essentually raped.

Maybe I'm just insensitive, but while I can completely understand a gay person being offended when the word "gay" is used to mean stupid, this doesn't make sense to me. If someone were to say, "man, I just totally KILLED you in that video game, would you be upset that you're friend or relative was killed and they weren't taking death seriously? I'm sorry that something so horrible happened to you, but they really aren't trying to offend you in any way... I'm sorry if this comes off as rude :(

Even just reading your post made me picture the guy who raped me. And I agree that it's painful. At the same time, putting so much weight on something like that makes it seem like you're letting it control your life too much.

It's not hard to not worry about it either, some gay people are offended about ''Gay'' you don't stop using that do you?

I was raped 6 months ago and still have nightmares on a regular basis, the word does not bother me. In fact I commonly use it in my language also because technically speaking, it is using the term correctly.

you're just a cranky 14 year old looking for attention. seriously? you need to take a pill and go to therapy some more.

it IS just a word. you ARE a dumbass.

maybe you shouldn't have gotten drunk, and let that 40 year old guy fuck the shit out of you. then we wouldn't have this problem,

@you're just a cranky 14 year old looking for attention. seriously? you need to take a pill and go to therapy some...

wasn't and am not 14 you need to grow the fuck up like you know anything about life. He wasn't fucking 40. I wasn't fucking drunk. Fuck you, you're a miserable asshole that has nothing better to do than hate on people. Good luck getting anywhere in life

Thank you for this!!
And for those of you who think that we need to get over it because you don't mean it 'that way', well guess what? It doesn't matter that you don't mean it 'that way' because it makes us think about it 'that way' and then we feel horrible all over again. It's not that hard to just use a different word!

@Thank you for this!! And for those of you who think that we need to get over it because you don't mean it 'that...

no, it really isn't, but people are very ignorant, they don't care about anything but themselves. I wish people would just try to understand, but again, you can't until you've felt the hurt

I think the RAAAPEEE victims need to GETOVERIT!

this is a repost, word for word in some parts.. http://www.amirite.net/194946

rowannes avatar rowanne Yeah You Are +1Reply

well technically (sadly) in halo you can do a "t-bag" maneuver after you kill somebody which could be considered simulated rape. But I totally understand what you're saying, and all rape needs to stop in general

I'm really sorry for all of these people that have been/ know someone that has been raped. It must be so hard to life with. And for the rest if you, stfu. Have someone rape you, and tell me it hasn't changed how you think of the word.

@I'm really sorry for all of these people that have been/ know someone that has been raped. It must be so hard to...

thank you so much. I understand people think it's stupid but of course it changes it, of course its going to trigger. Thanks for standing up with me.

It's not just a word at this point in the game, it's a trigger, Not all rape victims react the same, they are all affected differently, so of course for some of them this word isn't going to bother them, but to others, it doesn't only remind them of what happened. It makes them feel like they're right back in that same place. That's not something fun to relive every day. And even if they don't mean it that way, that's the way it is most commonly thought of. Because someone was raped, doesn't make them a whore and you, need some therapy or counselling for thinkiing so, anyone who thinks so, was obviously raised incorrectly, and for that. I'm sorry. Triggers hurt, it's not just thinking about it, it's reliving it, the sights, the sounds, the smells, the touches. And for anyone who has been raped they know how terrible it is, for those whom have been raped, I'm truly sorry. I hate the idea that you've had to go through all this pain. It's unjust. If you need someone to talk to, please ...

Rebecca_Anns avatar Rebecca_Ann Yeah You Are 0Reply

I dont want to sound rude but if the word rape offends you then just turn off the volume

I know it should be simple as that, but it truly is harder than you'd imagine.

Bullshit. Yeah, it might hurt some people, but God knows if they're that easily triggered the word itself is going to be the least of their problems, almost anything will upset them. I was raped and the word itself doesn't bother me anymore, I have bigger things to worry about.

If it offends you so much, blow out your eardrums. attention whore.