+514

Why do people say "Kill two birds with one stone?" I mean, i get it, but why kill cute lil birds? Why not "Kill two spiders with one stone!" Spiders are killed easily by stones, and you keep the same meaning behind it, amirite?

Alip22s avatar
7 14
The voters have decided that Alip22 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird.

I think we should just kill mosquitoes.

iAlwaysMisss avatar iAlwaysMiss Yeah You Are +5Reply
@iAlwaysMiss I think we should just kill mosquitoes.

Do that with a stone and I will praise you forever.

spiders wouldnt work. it has to be birds because the whole point of it is that you throw a stone up in the air to kill the birds, hitting one on the way up and one on the way down, hence two birds with one stone. unless the spiders are floating, it wouldnt work.

The saying is also from a time when birds were pests that ate the crops, and had to be chased out. The spiders, on the other hand, ate the other bugs which would eat the crops.

Okay I get it, there is more merit from way back when for the original saying. However, in 2010 if you kill two of the a fore mentioned spiders or two cockroaches I don't think the world will come to an end and i really dislike spiders and cockroaches. So the phrase may not work for everyone but it works for me.

Then you say that you mean you did some 2 productive things bird are to eat are you gonna eat spiders? no. and who's gonna catch the flies for you?

Killing spiders is productive, less chance of being bitten. Fine, i revise it to "Kill two black widows with one stone" Or "Kill two brown recluses with one stone" Or "Kill two cockroaches with one stone"

PS. I wouldn't eat birds either. So you could say "Kill two cows with one stone" But i don't think one stone would kill one let alone two cows.