+488

It would be crazy if we all saw colors differently. Like, my blue was actually your red. We'd never be able to prove it, though, amirite?

bluegoddesss avatar
15 41
The voters have decided that bluegoddess is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I understand completely. 'Tis a "trippy" thought.

iamnotahumanbeings avatar iamnotahumanbeing Yeah You Are +27Reply

Yes, and i mean I just learned that from high school biology, the perception is like how people are Color blind, you could just point to something that you see as red.

I understand what you mean. But, if my brown was your pink and vice versa, and I said "brown is darker than pink", you would say "no, pink is darker than brown", because we see them differently.

FlyingPandas avatar FlyingPanda Yeah You Are +9Reply
@FlyingPanda What else could they be?

Switched the other way around

fruit_loopss avatar fruit_loops Yeah You Are +2Reply
@fruit_loops Switched the other way around

Well then we only have 2 different sets of colors, so it's not like most people are different.

FlyingPandas avatar FlyingPanda Yeah You Are 0Reply

Of course there are certain light frequencies that are seen in a rainbow, but all of our eyes can't be identical. You could point to the same blanket, and we would both agree that it was red, but what if what I was seeing was actually more of an orange color because of my eyes. What if I learned as a kid that that orange-like color was red becaue people pointed at a red apple, and that is what I saw with my unique eyes. We couldn't prove it because yes, everyone would say it is red, but we would have no way of knowing if what they saw as red was a different color than what we saw as red.

_Jojo_s avatar _Jojo_ Yeah You Are +9Reply
@_Jojo_ Of course there are certain light frequencies that are seen in a rainbow, but all of our eyes can't be identical...

speaking of the rainbow... if my red was your purple and your geen was my orange, then the colors of the rainbow wouldnt go gradually for everyone.

@speaking of the rainbow... if my red was your purple and your geen was my orange, then the colors of the rainbow...

Well, if people see colors differently, what they see as a rainbow could be completely different, too. If my red is your red shifted by 2, then my whole rainbow might be shifted by 2 so that it DOES go gradually.

_Jojo_s avatar _Jojo_ Yeah You Are +4Reply
@1220564

I don't know what you mean by shifted by two. do you mean shades? if yes, then yes it's possible there are SLIGHT variations in colors, we look at the same blue piece of paper maybe yours is a little lighter, but my orange is not your green. Everyones eyes, along with the rest of their bodies, is similar. If you have even one missing pigment from your eye, you will not see colors the same as everybody else, hense you will be colorblind. and if we can tell someone is color blind, we can tell everyone else sees colors the same.

@I don't know what you mean by shifted by two. do you mean shades? if yes, then yes it's possible there are SLIGHT...

What if some people saw the rainbow backwards; instead of seeing, ROY G. BIV, they saw, VIB G. YOR. I do totally get what you're saying, just what if?

_Jojo_s avatar _Jojo_ Yeah You Are 0Reply

We probably do see them differently due to the amount of cones in our eyes

I think about this almost every day...
-.-

kileysthenames avatar kileysthename Yeah You Are +6Reply

I've had this thought for the longest time.
Wouldn't it be cool?

Dude, I've always wondered about this. It's like you read my mind, then stole my thoughts and used them to create this post. Freaky.

SanctuaryExiles avatar SanctuaryExile Yeah You Are +3Reply

What if instead of the colors being switched around, they're completely different. Like if I saw what someone else did, I would have never seen any of the colors before and wouldn't know what to call them.

fruit_loopss avatar fruit_loops Yeah You Are +1Reply

Did you get this from Dan Brown, the youtuber? (Not like he's the first person to talk about this but he's the one I hear talking about it the most.)

I thought about this when I was 10 and me and my dad had a very long and interesting discussion about it.

Can't you just compare two things that are said to be the same color?

...To prove it, I don't think someone would lie about that.

@...To prove it, I don't think someone would lie about that.

No, no. It's not about someone LYING about it. It's just that you would never even know YOURSELF if you saw a color differently. I've just been raised thinking the color I see as blue was called blue and it's the color of the sky, etc. But you could be seeing red, calling it blue, seeing the sky red, etc. But you would never know anything different. Does that make sense?

@bluegoddess No, no. It's not about someone LYING about it. It's just that you would never even know YOURSELF if you saw a color...

yes!! I think about it all the time, & I've tried to explain it to my friends but they just look at me like I'm crazy.

annies avatar annie Yeah You Are +31Reply

Red orange yellow green blue indigo violet. All of those colors gradually sort of fade into eachother. If my red was your blue and my indigo was your yellow, you wouldn't see them fading into eachother.

No, because it's bound to come up another time in your life time where you point to something blie to someone andthey say no it's red.

@No, because it's bound to come up another time in your life time where you point to something blie to someone...

ono smilie They wouldn't say it's red. For example someone who can't see the the color red and you told them that the tinted gray (or whatever color they see) color is red, when ever they see that color they'd call it red even if they see it as what gray looks like to you.

Clearly this was written by someone who hasn't taken a biology... Color as we call it is the frequency of the particles that are there contrasted with the light. Colors aren't actually different. Just the waves they give off differnciate them...

@Clearly this was written by someone who hasn't taken a biology... Color as we call it is the frequency of the...

Ahaha. That's actually really funny because I am, no joke, majoring in Biology. Bahahaha. And I know exactly what you are talking about, but saying "if humans perceive colors differently" isn't near as clear and simple as just saying, "if humans see colors differently." You understand what I mean just the same. And it IS, in fact, a possibility that I see blue when you see red.

@bluegoddess Ahaha. That's actually really funny because I am, no joke, majoring in Biology. Bahahaha. And I know exactly what...

You major in biology eh? But, if we're not able to prove it, what does that have to do with anything? I agree with bluntsaregay. The colors of the rainbow gradually fade into eachother, and you have a back up story for why you know what you're talking about, and you don't look old enough to even be out of highschool.

Bahahaha that's funny cuz
if my blue was your red:
roy g biv wouldn't gradually fade into eachother
white wouldn't be the most contrasting color
red and white wouldn't be the most noticable color combination (why it's used for stop signs) bahaha
It's really funny, haha, how you're a biology major like every other person on the interwebz with a story for why they know what they're talking about.
Bahaha
Makes you look really immature. ahaha. you should probably concider the fact that nothing you said was funny. haha.

dickys avatar dicky No Way -26Reply
@dicky Bahahaha that's funny cuz if my blue was your red: roy g biv wouldn't gradually fade into eachother white wouldn't...

@1220219 (BluntsAreGay): exactly. there can be variations in color (were looking at the same blue paper but maybe yours is slightly lighter than mine, get it), but my blue being your red? no.

How does colour blindness work then, if it's so impossible for people to perceive colours differently? :P

Rainbow35s avatar Rainbow35 Yeah You Are +12Reply
@Rainbow35 How does colour blindness work then, if it's so impossible for people to perceive colours differently? :P

Obviously it's not impossible, and if people KNOW they're color blind, then we know we see colors the same. think: red orange yellow green blue indigo violet. for a color blind perosn, some of the colors might not gradually fade into eachother. for everybody else, it does.

I think what OP is trying to say is that perhaps you are both looking at the same "blue" piece of paper because, as you were growing up you were taught that that color was in fact "blue". However, to your eyes you see it as what I would call "red" because our eyes see the same color differently.There's really no way to prove it,but it's pretty cool to think about.