-150

taxidermy should be illegal, amirite?

1 74
The voters have decided that this post is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

You really should have explained why, OP.

Montanas avatar Montana No Way +13Reply

Think of what would happen to Chuck Testa!

I don't see what's wrong with taxidermy. Hunting you could make a case for I suppose, but what's so bad about what you do with something that's already dead?

To me it seems as wrong as necrophilia. Dead bodies just shouldn't be played around with.

Nacklefoodles avatar Nacklefoodle Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Nacklefoodle To me it seems as wrong as necrophilia. Dead bodies just shouldn't be played around with.

I agree that it's kinda weird that people wanna keep dead animals around their houses as trophies, but I don't think the time or money should be wasted making it illegal.

@1700650

Yeah, but it's not like the animal dies conveniently taking off its entire skin. They take the poor dead bastard, and skin him, which I am also against.

Just let the poor thing die in peace and don't bother it, is what I'm saying.

Nacklefoodles avatar Nacklefoodle Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Nacklefoodle Yeah, but it's not like the animal dies conveniently taking off its entire skin. They take the poor dead bastard...

It's.... Dead. It's already in peace.

If you are implying that you are against hunting, then allow me to give you a bit of information. For this specific example, I will use deer. If hunters did not kill deer each year, then they would overpopulate. There would not be enough food to sustain the large population and many of them would starve to death, as opposed to being (usually) more humanely killed. In addition, the amount of car crashes cause by deer would rise, further hurting the deer population as well as putting peoples' lives in danger. Also, the meat hunters get from animals they kill goes to good use, as opposed to if the animals died from starvation. The meat is also healthier than the meat in the stores and can be very beneficial as a supplement food source.

That is why I am for hunting. As far as taxidermy, it does not hurt the animal. It's one of those things where if you are against it, then simply do not partake in it.

@UmmmmUmUmUmUmmmmmmm It's.... Dead. It's already in peace. If you are implying that you are against hunting, then allow me to give you...

I'm not against hunting.

And no, it does not hurt it because obviously it's dead, but that doesn't make it okay. Hey look Michael Jackson's dead, he has no feelings anymore, let's shove metal wire into his body and make him dance for us to watch. He has no feelings anymore, so let's do incredibly crude things to his body!

Nacklefoodles avatar Nacklefoodle Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Nacklefoodle I'm not against hunting. And no, it does not hurt it because obviously it's dead, but that doesn't make it okay...

That is putting the life of an animal equal to the life of a human. I love animals dearly, but the life of a human is worth more than the life of an animal.

@Nacklefoodle But he's not alive anymore, there's no life left right? It's just rotting meat.

But it's a person. There is still a difference between a dead person and a dead animal.

@UmmmmUmUmUmUmmmmmmm But it's a person. There is still a difference between a dead person and a dead animal.

Did you know, humans are animals. Humans are a fucking species of animals.

@Nacklefoodle Did you know, humans are animals. Humans are a fucking species of animals.

I see your argument now contains swear words. You must really know what you are talking about.

@Nacklefoodle Haha no that was just for emphasis.

There are a lot of other ways to provide emphasis to an argument without resorting to cussing. The fact that you did makes me lose all respect for the validity of your opinion. Therefore, I am done with this discussion. Have a fabulous day =]

@UmmmmUmUmUmUmmmmmmm There are a lot of other ways to provide emphasis to an argument without resorting to cussing. The fact that you...

Losing respect of one curse word is really immature and pretentious. I'm not cursing at every sentence, just once. And an opinion can't be valid, because it's not a fact in the first place.

But yeah, I guess I lost the little respect I had for you, too

@Nacklefoodle Losing respect of one curse word is really immature and pretentious. I'm not cursing at every sentence, just once...

Cussing at me is also immature. Also, I never said I lost respect for you, I lost respect for your opinion on this subject. But now I have lost respect for you as a person. Remind me not to stick up for you anymore like I did the other day on a different post.

Again, have a fabulous day dear =]

I'd agree with the first part, but not the second part.
Dead bodies are inanimate objects.

@Number3 I'd agree with the first part, but not the second part. Dead bodies are inanimate objects.

Not exactly, "dead" and "inanimate" are two different forms of existence.

@Cpt_McMuffin Not exactly, "dead" and "inanimate" are two different forms of existence.

Please explain the difference.
and please do not use the words "used to be alive" because the same is true of most objects considered inanimate.

@Number3 Please explain the difference. and please do not use the words "used to be alive" because the same is true of most...

It's simple, there are three forms of existence, alive, dead, and inanimate, everything falls into one and only one of those categories. Inanimate things are mostly nonorganic, as opposed to dead things. They're pretty much the same in terms of characteristics, but it would still be wrong to call a dead thing inanimate.

@Number3 http://www.thefreedictionary.com/animate Would you say that any of those definitions befit a dead body?

I think you misunderstand. Though some sources will say different, animate and inanimate are not antonyms. Animate simply means living, which a carcass is obviously not, but that doesn't make it inanimate. And according to your source, something inanimate does "Not have the qualities associated with active, living organisms." Considering that dead things are still made up of cells and carry genetic material, they still have qualities of living things.

@Cpt_McMuffin I think you misunderstand. Though some sources will say different, animate and inanimate are not antonyms...

The word inanimate was made by taking the word animate, and putting an "in" in front, that pretty much defines what it means to be antonymous.
Are you suggesting that something can be animate and inanimate at the same time?

@Number3 The word inanimate was made by taking the word animate, and putting an "in" in front, that pretty much defines what...

No, if you paying attention to what I said at all you would know that. Animate means living. I said everything is either living, dead, or inanimate, and can only be one. And inanimate was originally an antonym for animate, but its meaning has changed greatly and is very different in both science and philosophy.

Hey I want to rape you. Oh wait you have feelings and you don't want it? Okay, now I've shot you and NOW it's okay to rape you. Then I'll go play volleyball with your head that I'll chop off, because, who cares -- it's not a person, amirite?

And then I'll play fetch with my dog using one of your arms.

Nacklefoodles avatar Nacklefoodle Yeah You Are +5Reply
@Nacklefoodle Hey I want to rape you. Oh wait you have feelings and you don't want it? Okay, now I've shot you and NOW it's okay...

I didn't say murder was okay.
But if I was dead and you wanted to rape and play volleyball with my corpse then that's absolutely fine, I encourage it in fact, if someone was a necrophile, I'd much much rather they had my already dead body to do with as they pleased than killed someone else to rape because my body was inaccessible.

@Number3 I didn't say murder was okay. But if I was dead and you wanted to rape and play volleyball with my corpse then...

You're making it sound like being a donor.
I'm not talking about that though.

You were hit by a car on accident, and the driver picked you up (no one was around) and used this as an opportunity to get laid. I mean, free sex, who wouldn't want that? And then he fucking chops off your hands, and uses them to masturbate. Then he mounts your head (giving it first a funny expression with your tongue sticking out first) on his wall and shows it to every visitor to his house.

You didn't give permission, you would't want random things to be done to you. That is, if you're normal of course...

A random cat had no choice to be used as a fucking piece of cloth to make a toy. And that's wrong. Allowing necrophilia like signing a donor card would be alright I guess, but not this.

A dead body isn't just a thing, like a couch. It used to have a person in there. It should at the very least be respected.

Nacklefoodles avatar Nacklefoodle Yeah You Are +7Reply
@Nacklefoodle You're making it sound like being a donor. I'm not talking about that though. You were hit by a car on accident...

This is a difference of opinion, I don't view dead bodies the same as you do, so we won't get anywhere with this.

@Number3 This is a difference of opinion, I don't view dead bodies the same as you do, so we won't get anywhere with this.

Yeah, an opinion like this can't be argued. I just think since the dead deserve respect (like how it's wrong to speak ill of the dead, e.g. Michael Jackson was so "great" and "it's such a shame"), then their bodies should be respected too. Sounds logical to me.

Nacklefoodles avatar Nacklefoodle Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Nacklefoodle Yeah, an opinion like this can't be argued. I just think since the dead deserve respect (like how it's wrong to...

That argument aside, I would argue that stuffing an animal for leisure is better than actively killing them to make 'trendy' clothes.

@Number3 That argument aside, I would argue that stuffing an animal for leisure is better than actively killing them to make...

lolwut smilie Also it's better than the Holocaust. Let's just randomly switch to naming things that are worse than a bad thing.

@Number3 My one was obviously related

Okay, how about "and stuffing animals is better than stuffing real humans so that makes it okay." Or what about "but stuffing animals is a lot better than EATING pets who have died, so, it's okay."

Those are relevant.

@Nacklefoodle Okay, how about "and stuffing animals is better than stuffing real humans so that makes it okay." Or what about...

Right but of the things we said it was better than, which one is completely socially acceptable.
Now you're just being stupid for the sake of arguing.

@Number3 Right but of the things we said it was better than, which one is completely socially acceptable. Now you're just...

Oh no, I really don't want to continue this argument. You just made an irrelevant point to the initial argument and to the post.

Bye now.

@FlotatiousTurd are you a vegetarian?

Nope. Are you?

And who are you anyway?

@Nacklefoodle Nope. Are you? And who are you anyway?

did that dead cow give you permission to eat its meat?

@FlotatiousTurd did that dead cow give you permission to eat its meat?

un smilie Right, let's compare this to eating meat.

Lions eat zebras and whatnot, and that's natural and normal. They don't skin them before eating, and use them as costumes for a costume party. They don't bite off their heads to use as soccer balls or as wall decorations. They eat them. Because eating animals is what's meant to happen. Playing around with their dead bodies is just wrong.

@FlotatiousTurd do you like your shoes?

My shoes aren't made of animals, thanks.

@Nacklefoodle My shoes aren't made of animals, thanks.

theres no leather what so ever on your shoes?

@FlotatiousTurd theres no leather what so ever on your shoes?

Yeah you can stop trying to be clever, I'm against making shoes from animals too. I'm against making shoes from HUMANS too, and anything that once had eyes and could breathe. You won't convince me to think taxidermy is okay.

Nacklefoodles avatar Nacklefoodle Yeah You Are +4Reply
@Nacklefoodle Right, let's compare this to eating meat. Lions eat zebras and whatnot, and that's natural and normal. They...

Humans are omnivores, lions are not, lions need to eat zebras to live, humans do not.
Would you feel any less upset if someone killed one of your loved ones to eat than if they'd done it to play with?

@Humans are omnivores, lions are not, lions need to eat zebras to live, humans do not. Would you feel any less...

That doesn't make eating meat unnatural. I only used the lion example because all animals do it, and humans are a shitty example of an animal.

And again I'm not arguing about murder at all, I'm talking about what you do with the dead body. If I'm dead, a lion can eat me. But a human can't tear off my arm and use it as a baseball bat. Eating meat is fine, playing with dead things isn't. That's all I'm saying.

Killing for taxidermy should be illegal, but using an already dead animal is fine. Also, some people want to preserve thier pets.

@B10ckH34d Killing for taxidermy should be illegal, but using an already dead animal is fine. Also, some people want to...

What? If I find a deer and say "hey I'm gonna take this to the taxidermist" that would be pointless. The deer wouldn't be as fresh as when you shoot it. When you shoot it yourself you take it to a cooler or leave it in an ice chest filled with ice. If you shoot the deer then it has meaning like you shot with your kid or something but just finding it on the road the deer would be rotted and nasty and meaningless. Sorry to jump you but this subject just pisses me off a lot.

@Dr_Awesome What? If I find a deer and say "hey I'm gonna take this to the taxidermist" that would be pointless. The deer...

Also I just looked at your profile for shits and giggles and I would like to point out that Google owns android not Microsoft.

I mean if for some reason you just want a dee head in your house. Or if you're hunting to cull the population, or to eat the meat and keep the skin or for sport(which is questionable) then you can go to the taxidermist. It's not ok to hunt specifically for taxidermy.

@B10ckH34d I mean if for some reason you just want a dee head in your house. Or if you're hunting to cull the population, or...

I hunt a lot and the reason most people I know go to taxidermists (myself included) is for the meat and bragging rights for the head. It's pretty much bragging rights over all.

@Dr_Awesome I hunt a lot and the reason most people I know go to taxidermists (myself included) is for the meat and bragging...

I said ti's fine to go to a taxidermist because you go hunting. It's not ok to go hunting because you want to go to the taxidermist.

Natural History Museums wouldn't be nearly as fun.

I agree. Not only do the poor bastards get shot and killed, usually for fun, they also get put on display. But before that, hunting (as a sport or a leisurely activity) should be criminalized. That's because if you want to take the stance that animal bodies should be given the same respect as human bodies, you must also assert that animal lives be treated the same as human lives.

lanas avatar lana Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Sturminator A lot of taxidermists work with animals that are found dead like roadkill.

I know that. But if you go and tell people that they can't road kill because a dead body must be respected, their answer would include that it's okay to hunt them, why should something as harmless as taxidermy be prohibited.

lanas avatar lana Yeah You Are 0Reply

Coming from North Dakota, I see that all of the time, and I don't really care. And to me, animals are on a different level than humans, so it doesn't matter.

What if somebody's treasured pet of many years who was well loved and cared for suddenly passes away and they wish to visit a taxidermist? I'm not agreeing one way or the other - just curious as to your thoughts.

wuts dat??

@wuts dat??

it when you kill an animal stuff its head and scare little children with it

If I kill something im proud of, I will have it stuffed. It's a trophy.