-100

Teaching U.S. History (or any country's history) is patriotic propaganda, amirite?

_____________s avatar Education
0 14
The voters have decided that _____________ is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Not quite. I heard Germany doesn't skimp on the details about the Holocast and WW II, and if anything they're tougher on themselves retelling that dark part of their history than other countries they are.

@What about WWI?

Germany was viewed much more as the "bad guy" in WW II considering the Holocaust and how Hitler basically took over Europe.

@SemiColin Germany was viewed much more as the "bad guy" in WW II considering the Holocaust and how Hitler basically took over...

In a way the way WW I turned out caused WW II because they had to pay money for losing the war and if i am correct they were blamed for it all practically even though though Austria-Hungary or Czechoslavakia fought with them.

@In a way the way WW I turned out caused WW II because they had to pay money for losing the war and if i am correct...

Yes, I know reparations were a major cause of WW II. If you really want to get technical, it was actually France's fault because they were the ones demanding reparations after WW I, which pissed Germany off.

@SemiColin Yes, I know reparations were a major cause of WW II. If you really want to get technical, it was actually France's...

As I recall, Germany wasn't allowed representation at the Treaty of Versailles, which contributed to the above.

Mitchs avatar Mitch No Way 0Reply

Unless you have my AP US teacher. He frequently ranted about the government, how my state is awesome and shouldn't be a part of the US, how there's more than one side to history, and spent most of the class telling funny anecdotes only vaguely related to our lessons. It was awesome, and I still got a 4 on the exam. I wish all history teachers were like that instead of the old, propaganda-spreading teachers you usually get.

That makes no sense. That's like saying that if somebody showed up late to a party and asked what had happened while they weren't there, you shouldn't tell them because it would just be bragging about the party. My history teacher didn't skip the slave trade, the civil war, vietnam, president nixon, jim crow laws, the stock market crash, etc. Those are all pretty glaring examples of how stupid our country and people can be. If it were propaganda, then why would they not skip over these clearly negative aspects of our history? How about instead, teaching a countries history is just, telling you what the fuck happened before you were born, so you can fucking know. Sounds like to me like you're just making a bad grade in your history class and can't deal with it.

Fattys avatar Fatty No Way +3Reply

Not necessarily. I think it's important to know the history of the country you're living in. Just because you're learning about your country's history doesn't mean it's propaganda. It's not like we're being taught that America did everything right in history and that every other country sucks.

No. It's educating young people aboutthe past and why things are the way they are.

patriotic propaganda? sounds like they are teaching you to be nationalist

My school doesn't do specify on a specific country for history, we cover them all. There's no New Zealand history (the country that I'm from) but this year we've covered some of Germany, England, we're about to start on the Civil War in the US etc. etc.