-233

Why is age so important, it is JUST a number and nothing more. It says nothing and people should stop judging you by your supposedly age. amirite?

thirstypigs17s avatar
2 84
The voters have decided that thirstypigs17 is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Well, it depends. Being sixteen (seventeen this June) I always feel like I'm not being taken seriously even when I have something important to say. In that regard, I feel unjustly judged based on my age, which is wrong. I also hate it when people assume that I'm stupid, immature or high on drugs because of my age. Generally, generalizations suck.

At the same time though, I can understand why there are age limits on certain things. I can also sometimes understand why I would be seen as naive -- there are some things that you really just don't learn until you're older. Looking back at myself at age 13, I can see how much I've matured and learned.

I'm gonna give you a yeah for spirit and because I feel the same way sometimes, though. :)

SalientKs avatar SalientK Yeah You Are +5Reply

I'd say you were right if you used the word "supposedly" right in the post.

Age does matter, especially when you think about the brain of a child compared to the brain of an adult. Your brain doesn't stop developing until you're about 21 so it does actually play a role in maturity. Now, that doesn't mean that 15-year-olds can't be more mature than 25-year-olds! But that maturity comes from experience (which usually does come with age) but some of us have certain experiences at a younger age, leading to our early maturity. btw....I'm 18 so I'm basically right between being a teenager and an adult so I guess I kind of have both points of view

@Age does matter, especially when you think about the brain of a child compared to the brain of an adult. Your brain...

I agree with you. Some experiences do come younger, children who have less of a sheltered life, are often more mature then those who are lucky enough to not see some events that occur. I am 14 years old, and me and my sister are very different. She is more carefree and wild, I am more serious and thoughtful, she doesn't remember anything from when we were little. I remember things like, my parents spilting up, my mother crying on my shoulder, a friend dieing in my arms. I beleive things like this age a person mentally. No, i'm not mature and I know it. Yet, who really is when it comes down to it?

Maturity level is another word for age.
and I believe it's important, you can also know how impressionable a child is.. and plus if I owned a strip club, i wouldn't want a 13 year old douchebag and his friends, he's too young. no booze, no cigs, no sex.

Vinvus avatar Vinvu No Way +1Reply
@Vinvu Maturity level is another word for age. and I believe it's important, you can also know how impressionable a child...

maturity does not mean age... i'm 13 and i have a friend who's gone through so much bad stuff in her life, she's so mature. then i know a guy who's 13 and insanely immature. maturity does not mean age.

LAWL
a) Maturity level is 2 words.
b) First of all, age has NOTHING to do with maturity.

@bigmac14 "Age has nothing to do with maturity"? Are you high?

Not at all

I've seen 14 year olds that are more mature than some 20 year olds I know.
I've seen 14 year olds who are less mature than my 10 year old brother.

Age has nothing to do with maturity.

@Not at all I've seen 14 year olds that are more mature than some 20 year olds I know. I've seen 14 year olds who...

I agree. You ever heard things like "He is a 40 year old in a ten year old's body." or "She's an old soul"
Lots of time maturity and age go hand in hand, but age does not define maturity.

I completly agree. Its more your what you've lived thorugh then how long you've lived.

@I completly agree. Its more your what you've lived thorugh then how long you've lived.

I agree, but age, I think is a loose guideline for how mature someone might be. I'm not saying that age defines maturity, but it is loosely related.

@I agree, but age, I think is a loose guideline for how mature someone might be. I'm not saying that age defines...

(The Walrus): Exactly. A pre-teen has the capacity to act like an adult, and vice versa, but you can safely say a 5 year old isn't going to be very mature.
Just because kids have the -capacity- of high maturity does not mean that we can't establish general guidelines.

I agree, conversely, I disagree.

I've lived through a lot of hardships and what not, but I didn't mature any faster than anyone else.

@LAWL a) Maturity level is 2 words. b) First of all, age has NOTHING to do with maturity.

i completely agree. i am fourteen years old and have probably seen much more than an average college kid. on the whole, people of my age are not mature. but you can't condemn everyone of an age group to immaturaty, just because the majority of that age group are immature!

Oh, I judge my 15-year-old self. And I was above most 15-year-olds back then.
A lot of them ended up outgrowing me and some continue to be losers. But yeah, age matters. Saying is does not is denying personal evolution...
or just being a 14-year-old who does not understand why adults find him/her childish.

It really depends on what age you are talking about, what issue you are referring to, if it involves two people how big is the age gap...

Like, a 19-year-old should not be dating a 32-year-old. A 16-year-old dating an 18-year-old, however, is probably not that big a deal. Also, a 15-year-old is usually not qualified physically or mentally or emotionally to do most jobs that a 21-year-old could do in most cases. A 13-year-old may be mature enough to work at McDonalds, but is not mature enough to vote.

@its funny cause my mom was 18 and my dad 30 at the time they married..

If your mom was one year younger your father would be a criminal. It's kinda creepy.

@If your mom was one year younger your father would be a criminal. It's kinda creepy.

They had to date so he may have been dating a 17 year old. :-O

How's that creepy? Love is a good thing. People need to stop judging couples if they have a significant age difference. It's not their fault. Just be glad they've found someone to love.

That's the same arguments that pedophiles use to defend their "normal" attractions.

Age is just a measurement of how long we have been alive on Earth and yes generalizations are made based on the average maturity level at certain ages. True, there are younger people that are more mature than older people, but there are still the really immature younger people that the generalizations come from. In means of laws this is probably a generalization for the better because you don't want a ten year old driving but in terms of individual interactions, yes people shouldn't always judge you because of your age.

So you're saying it's okay for an 82-year-old to be in love with, and want to have sex with an infant?

Oh, or a pedophile. let us not forget the pedophiles.

are you serious..............my post?!? on post of the day....... O_o this post fails HAHAHA

thirstypigs17s avatar thirstypigs17 Yeah You Are 0Reply

18 = 80? I think not

@amgwolf 18 = 80? I think not

that is not what the OP said. at all.

i think you are hot

@i think you are hot

(._.): CREEPER

I agree.... to some extent.

I've dated a 15 year old, when I was 18.
She far more mature than a good portion of the kids my age, which is why I liked her so much.

However, not all kids are like that.
Also, when kids are young, they're not as strong, hence the reason certain laws were put in place.

@Iamsorite I agree.... to some extent. I've dated a 15 year old, when I was 18. She far more mature than a good portion of...

15 year old boy and 18 year old girl isn't that big of a deal in society while a 15 year old girl and an 18 year guy is frowned upon. weird

@15 year old boy and 18 year old girl isn't that big of a deal in society while a 15 year old girl and an 18 year...

But thats very odd because its been proven that, girls actually mature faster then boys in most cases.

haha yeah.
When I turned 19, she had told her mom it was my 18th birthday.
But I won't get into my life on here.
haha.

Most of the time, age has nothing to do with maturity, there's just those couple idiots who ruin it for the rest of us that make it seem like all of us are complete morons, I'm 14 and probably know more about history and politics then some adults.

@Most of the time, age has nothing to do with maturity, there's just those couple idiots who ruin it for the rest of...

I agree but that doesn't mean you know the real world. I know polictics get twisted and used outside the home.

I think what the poster is saying is that just because you're young doesn't mean you're not smart. And just because you're old doesn't mean you're stupid. Or if somebody is thinking they're too old or young they should just stop and enjoy life.

Jomskylarks avatar Jomskylark Yeah You Are 0Reply

eek :/

people cannot be defined by a number, but what they have done in the years they have lived, wether that be 26 or 14. i do believe, however, that wisdom comes with age and that an 80 year old would be more wise than someone who is 14 years old

A lot of good posts here.
Nonetheless people use age as factors in a lot of things. True you may be mature and responsible and knowledgeable but that won't make you capable of doing things. That comes with experience and age.

I'm going to venture a guess and say that you're into Twilight.

Buttss avatar Butts No Way 0Reply

YOU ARE SOOOO SMART LETS HAVE SEX

So I'm going to go find a newborn and have him run for president. If I can't do that then I'm suing, because apparently age doesn't matter.

*supposed

I think that there is a certain point where it gets inappropriate. If a 25 year old screwed a 12 year old, then there's something wrong with that.

Age is just some weird measurement man made up for no reason. Then people just randomly made up stupid things to use 'age' for. Maturity level is much more appropriate. Also, random, but why do people not count your age starting at around the day of conception? The moment you are conceived, you are living, and you are dying (getting closer to death, gradually). Even if the baby dies in the womb, it was alive at some point. Then, I guess, it wouldn't be a 'birthday' it'd be a 'conceptionday'.

@Age is just some weird measurement man made up for no reason. Then people just randomly made up stupid things to...

Yeah, sure. NO reason at all. I mean hell, why do we even have YEARS? lol.
It's a measure of time. Our age is the measure of time we've been out of our mother's womb in the world. We didn't make it up for silly reasons, it IS relevant for people to know your age.

Yes, children HAVE the capacity to be extremely mature, but in general we have have certain maturity for ages. Fuck, children/teens have different brain make-ups that don't ALLOW them to think fully like adults until the mid-20s. Even if a child is more mature, that doesn't mean that they can handle stress well, etc. Age isn't a silly thing to keep us down, it's got it's purpose.

I wouldn't consider an un-born baby alive...they don't even breathe in the womb.

Mikes avatar Mike No Way 0Reply
@They still get oxygen though. Fish aren't alive?

They never said anything about oxygen. Just breathing in general.
Sure, un-born babies get oxygen. But they aren't breathing.

@OH! Here we go again! hahahahaha

Ya this one was before the other post, though. It's only because this got home-paged so late that we're seeing it now.

Mikes avatar Mike No Way 0Reply

Everyone tells me I'm more mature then a 21 year old and I'm 13.

So because I'm 14 it means I do drugs, have unprotected sex everynight, get drunk, and say "like" every three words?

I hate when people stereotype teenagers. We are NOT all the same. (:

Mikes avatar Mike No Way +5Reply
@Mike (<3): No, nobody said that. But you aren't as mature as an adult would be.

I know this but I was implying that when people think of teens they think of zero responsibility (or so I've heard from many adults).

hmmm i agree with this post conditionally, ya its wrong to have a sexual attraction to kids (and by kids i mean 14 and under) but once you hit 18 youre an adult and free to do who and what you wish

Im currently 19 and dating a 44 yr old ... not ideal but were certainly happy and dont care who has a problem with it cuz its their problem not ours :)