+382

It's stupid how people refuse to say the Pledge of Allegiance because it has "God" in it, and yet they continue to use American money, seeing as it says "One Nation Under God". Amirite?

1 25

Well I'm not just going to stop using money... and I still say the pledge, I just pause when everybody else says "under God"

@ali_d Well I'm not just going to stop using money... and I still say the pledge, I just pause when everybody else says...

Really? If you were Buddhist I wouldn't have a problem saying Buddha. Same goes for any other religion. The fact that people don't say God is ridiculous. Especially seeing as our founding fathers were mainly Catholic.

@Really? If you were Buddhist I wouldn't have a problem saying Buddha. Same goes for any other religion. The fact...

Actually, the founding fathers wanted our country to be unrelated to any religion. In fact, the original pledge of allegiance didn't contain the phrase "under God". That was added at a much later date.

@ali_d Actually, the founding fathers wanted our country to be unrelated to any religion. In fact, the original pledge of...

ACTUALLY the founding fathers came to America partly because they were religiously oppressed.

@Duck ACTUALLY the founding fathers came to America partly because they were religiously oppressed.

yea, they weren't mainly catholic, most of them were probably from newer church groups, like protestants or some such

Sigh. I hate it when people one-up me on this site. But still, the Declaration of Indpendence and the Constitution both have "God" in them. People need to get over this.

@Sigh. I hate it when people one-up me on this site. But still, the Declaration of Indpendence and the Constitution...

I hate to try to one-up you again, but the Constitution doesn't have 'God' in it. The Declaration of Independence does mention God, but very briefly, and the Declaration of Independence isn't what we base our country on, the Constitution is.

@ali_d I hate to try to one-up you again, but the Constitution doesn't have 'God' in it. The Declaration of Independence...

OK, now I think you're just doing it on purpose. And this post wasn't about people leaving out the "under God" part. It was about refusing to say the pledge all-together. What's next? People not standing for "God Bless America" and the National Anthem (full version has "And this be our motto: 'In God is our trust.'" in it)?

@ali_d Haha well I have to agree that it's stupid to flat out refuse to say the pledge.

Thank you. Also stupid while I'm on the point, some public schools not allowing anything with God in it. No pledge, no Declaration, nothing. Yeah, there are schools in my area that do that. Ridiculous.

@Thank you. Also stupid while I'm on the point, some public schools not allowing anything with God in it. No pledge...

I think that's pretty dumb. The kids need to learn about the country and if the atheist parents have a problem, they can just tell their kids that they don't think God is real, but other people do, which is why it's in the pledge and the Declaration. The only problem I do have is when I see stories about public, secular schools that have prayer times before class and before lunch. Those kinds of things are inappropriate, but the Pledge of Allegiance definitely isn't

It's not like we're going to refuse to use money, because of it... That just isn't practical. Some people do actively protest "In God we trust" on U.S. currency though.

http://www.positiveatheism.org/mail/eml9990.htm

im an atheist and dont say under god at school. But that doesnt mean i should stop using money. How else am i going to live? Think about that.

There's a difference between not wanting to say the pledge of allegiance and not spending money simply because of the God anywhere on it. Currency is far different than something we're taught to say as a child. How could someone live their lives without using the currency their country produces? There are protests for it. So saying something like that is just plain ignorant.

No, it is my choice whether or not to say the pledge. But I really can't stop using money. Nor am I saying God every time I buy something.

Well, no. Because they don't have a CHOICE on what is on money, however, they do have a say in whether o not they say the pledge.

I just skip the "under God" part because it doesn't apply to me and it wasn't always there. I still use money because I have to pay for stuff somehow. If there was a better way, I'd probably use it.

people just love money too much. and i think atheists need to learn to tolerate other religions just like the rest of us. i will live if you say God isn't real, it's your opinion and really not my business, but when you refuse to say the word "God", that's just ridiculous. it's like being lactose intolerant and refusing to say the word "milk".

@people just love money too much. and i think atheists need to learn to tolerate other religions just like the rest...

I don't refuse to say under God, but people who know I'm agnostic, attack me whenever I say anything remotely relating to God.

I'm atheist, and I strongly don't believe in a god, but I still say the whole pledge. It just shows respect for this nation. Even if you don't agree with it, you should learn to deal with it. It won't kill you, and it's not going to hurt you. 2 words, people~

@Katffro I'm atheist, and I strongly don't believe in a god, but I still say the whole pledge. It just shows respect for...

Like I said, "I don't refuse to say under God, but people who know I'm agnostic, attack me whenever I say anything remotely relating to God."

@TicTacAddict Like I said, "I don't refuse to say under God, but people who know I'm agnostic, attack me whenever I say anything...

thats stupid.. true christians believe and know that they should tolerate others, even if they disagree with our own beliefs, i hate those people who say they're christian, but then act completely different, which is sadly most of them these days