+699

Dear school, we do not NEED Smart Boards in order to learn. Countries are doing better than us academically without the aid of this equipment. Stop wasting money and just have the teachers teach correctly, amirite?

Education
5 30

DAMN STRAIGHT! We're getting left behind by Mexico

sestrada16s avatar sestrada16 Yeah You Are +8Reply

All the classrooms in the elementary school have smartboards. the highschool only has two or three. WHY, does and elementary schooler need a smart board? We're watchign films, or graphing things, that are hard to illustrate without a calculator, so I can understand, but what in the world to they need computers to learn how to spell "monkey"? Whatever happened to learning by using your brain?!

when my math class was introduced to the smartboard the entire class actually paid attention so that the teacher would call on them to write on it. It's sad when high school students have to learn with tricks and toys like children.

Well my state is actually in the same level as South Korea and all of those other countries that are beating us, but I agree and think that we should also eliminate the tenure system. I don't care if she's been teaching for 40 years, she's not a good teacher anymore and she either needs to improve or GTFO.

especially if they're basing their lesson plans off of youtube videos...

The education system needs to get rid of standardized testing. That way teachers will actually teach in order to fulfill student's maximum potential. As opposed to teaching students how to properly bubble in questions on a scantron.

I love that my school is wasting money on smartboards that most teachers rarely , if ever, use, but the girl's bathroom has no lights because there's no funding to fix it. (rolls eyes)

Aeriths avatar Aerith Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Aerith I love that my school is wasting money on smartboards that most teachers rarely , if ever, use, but the girl's...

Most schools probably would have enough money to fix up the school if they don't use money for things like smartboards for virtually every teacher.

@Deathbubble Most schools probably would have enough money to fix up the school if they don't use money for things like...

They did some repairs at mine over the summer, but they must of done a crap job, because for every thing that got fixed, two more things got broken. Is yours as bad as mine? (if you're in high school now)

Aeriths avatar Aerith Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Aerith They did some repairs at mine over the summer, but they must of done a crap job, because for every thing that got...

Well,I can't exactly tell how bad mine is,but all the bathrooms looks run-down,and the floors all over the school are littered with trash and gum (mostly gum,and walls are cracked,classrooms look pretty good though,so I guess that's good,but most water fountains are broken :[
Not too bad,I guess,but every time they fix something,something else ends up breaking.

I think you mean Promethean Boards, (you probably don't thats just what we call them) But we're left behind exactly because some of the teachers (note some) are FUCKING RETARTED.

I can't write on that thing for crap without the side of my hand messing it all up or my shadow getting in the way so I can't see where I'm writing.

i think im the only person who doesnt know what a smart board is....

@ItsMeg i think im the only person who doesnt know what a smart board is....

It's some sort of interactive whiteboard,though I wouldn't know since my school uses projectors.

@Deathbubble It's some sort of interactive whiteboard,though I wouldn't know since my school uses projectors.

I like projectors better... aparently they're easier for the teachers to use or something. Actually, I just think people like having shiny new toys.

pshhh smart boards are amazing!! and not only because they were invented in my city... well mostly

I LOVE smart boards!! They actually help me focus more (I have ADHD)

We use both smart boards and projectors. I find that the reason we have smart boards is because they can automatically transfer all notes from the white board onto a website. It helps me when I miss something in class. I can just use the website and see exactly what the teacher did, and how they did it.

I like smartboards. Only if the projector is new, though. Otherwise I can't see. If it's an old, dirty projector, I'd rather use the chalkboard or whiteboard.
But the old teachers mess everything up. I never learn from them. I learn better from teachers under the age of 40. I don't know why, I just do.

Our school uses whiteboards, OHP and interactive whiteboards. I actually prefer the classes without smartboards. Probably because the teachers who have them cannot use them! Really, some teachers just waste a lot of time.

Alices avatar Alice Yeah You Are 0Reply

My school has several smart boards, and I heard that they just bought a few Ipads. I don't really know why. I don't even like Smart Boards.

but theyre awesome

I think it's sick that during this extreme budget crisis for education in California, each classroom in Orange County is getting two whiteboards and a smart board in EACH CLASSROOM. What a joke. And here they're cutting things everywhere. Teachers only need ONE whiteboard.

My school pretends to be all new age, saying that they don't make all kids do the whole "come to class, take notes, take test, write essay. Repeat" they say that they've made it more adaptive for kids with dofferant learning styles by using things like smartboarss but if every kid learns differant wouldn't the best thing to do be to pit all the kids with similar learning styles in the same classes. Really they've just changed from forcing all pegs into a round hole to forcing them all into a star hole.

Sorry for all the typos. I'm having issues with my new keyboard.

We have Smart Boards in every classroom at our schools, and most of my teachers make good use of them. My French teacher, however, doesn't understand how to properly orient, which is pretty much the biggest problem I have with Smart Boards. She gets so fed up with orienting, she does it really quickly and touches the board nowhere near the Xs, and the reason she's fed up is because she has to do it so often because she doesn't do it right. She's pretty iffy with technology in general, though. But most of the "helpful tools" Smart Boards have can be replicated pretty easily on a standard white board, and things that can't be done on a whiteboard are usually just stupid little things that aren't really helpful towards learning, just cheap tricks teachers use to make kids pay attention. Only my science teacher uses it well. She plays us helpful videos, demonstrates concepts, and uses this really cool camera that projects the video onto the Smart Board to explain how to do experiments. Overall, I'm sick of them, and was much happier when it was just a marker and a whiteboard.
TL;DR: Teachers don't know how to use them efficiently and they don't actually do much more than whiteboards.

PinkSponges avatar PinkSponge Yeah You Are 0Reply