+85

You spell it "theater" not "theatre", amirite?

supercrazedhpfans avatar
1 24
The voters have decided that supercrazedhpfan is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

"Theater" is the place", "theatre" is the art itself.

Like, you go to the theater to enjoy theatre.

South African English. It's "theatre" for both.

Best way to sound classy as an American: use 'theatre'.

canadians ftw!

@Mtrenchie canadians ftw!

It's not a Canadian thing... Or at least it isn't specific to Canadians.

it is two different words

Usually, I spell it théâtre because of French class. I just call it the movies.

musicals avatar musical Yeah You Are +2Reply
@ProudMary ...Why would you call a theatre "the movies"? o.O...

I usually just go to the movies. Actual theatre is too expensive and far away, or else I'd be going more.

It depends...

Theatre and theater are the same thing. It doesn't matter how you spell them. Like color and colour, or aluminum and aluminium.

@GitsGallore Theatre and theater are the same thing. It doesn't matter how you spell them. Like color and colour, or aluminum...

comment number 2.

@Frank_n_Furter "Theater" is the place", "theatre" is the art itself. Like, you go to the theater to enjoy theatre. comment...

I disagree. I use theatre for both purposes. And I've never gotten points off for spelling it that way.

@GitsGallore I disagree. I use theatre for both purposes. And I've never gotten points off for spelling it that way.

In the United States, it is correct to spell the art form and the building as theater, or to use "theatre" for the art form and "theater" for the building. In the United States, it isn't correct to use "theatre" for the building.

It's not the same thing, they're two different dialects of the same mother tongue...Writing "the colour of the theater's door is red" on an academical essay would get you points off.

but theater sounds so unnatural!