+333

Just because the American and British pronounce things differently from each other doesn't mean that either are wrong. It's a stupid thing to fight about. British have their way, Americans have theirs. Saying that people are ignorant for pronouncing things differently makes THEM ignorant. Why can't we just agree to disagree? amirite?

Evanhaubners avatar Life
2 29
The voters have decided that Evanhaubner is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

You say toe-may-toe, I say toe-mah-toe.
Actually I don't. I don't know anyone who says toe-mah-toe. But that's beside the point.

I agree too, but i often like to tell Americans their English is wrong because when they hear the English of a commonwealth nation who has adapted their own style of English (such as India) they like to call it "wrong" as if their English is original or wtv.

mylifeisflys avatar mylifeisfly Yeah You Are +3Reply

Way to go, man. ;) telling people what's what.

That would be too easy. People argue about stupid things...

It's called adapting. Otherwise, we would all be speaking with thys and thees.
Learned vs Learnt
Color vs Colour.
Does it matter? Can you still understand me if I say dreamed instead of dreamt?

riris avatar riri Yeah You Are +1Reply

I hate oxymorons, NOT!!

@963435

Agree to disagree is apparently a oxymoron... my dad wrote that -.-'

Hmmmm i wonder what if the british and americans went to war again hmmm

I agree with that, but it really bugs me when Americans insist that their way is the correct way, when in actual fact, they're the only country in the world where things are spelled like that.

I kind of disagree, as it is the English language, it is better to spell things their way and let's face it I spelled just sounds stupid, it is obviously I spelt. It looks better the English way. Yet at the same time there are accents to take into consideration, which is why the way people pronounce things isn't being ignorant. It is just the whole color vs. colour, learned vs. learnt thing that is stupid. Just spell it the original way, it was the way it was meant to be. I do realise this is about the way people say things not how it is spelt, but I had to but it in because the spelling thing really shouldn't happen.

@thedoctormerlin I kind of disagree, as it is the English language, it is better to spell things their way and let's face it I...

Using the "-ed" ending rather than the "t" ending does not sound stupid, it's just different. Both spellings are correct and accepted, so it's not really a big deal.

Besides, if we stuck to "original spellings" and didn't change anything, we'd all be speaking/ writing in either Old English, Latin, or Greek.

Retoosers avatar Retooser Yeah You Are +9Reply
@Retooser Using the "-ed" ending rather than the "t" ending does not sound stupid, it's just different. Both spellings are...

And that would be fine, name one thing wrong with Old English, Latin or Greek. And there is nothing wrong with saying spelled except you seem like an idiot.

@thedoctormerlin And that would be fine, name one thing wrong with Old English, Latin or Greek. And there is nothing wrong with...

There's not anything specifically wrong with any of those languages (besides Latin being dead), I was just pointing out that if we stuck to original spellings, we wouldn't have today's English.

And how does saying "spelled" or "learned" make one seem like an idiot? Those words aren't wrong, just different.

Retoosers avatar Retooser Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Retooser There's not anything specifically wrong with any of those languages (besides Latin being dead), I was just pointing...

read my comment below -.- I couldn't edit that comment for some reason the edit box wouldn't pop up, because i wrote the wrong thing I didn't mean idiot...

There was no real point to changing the word other then the fact they could, it is stupid as me making llover be spelt lover just because I can, the original term is the better term because it is the way it the person(s) intended it to be.

@thedoctormerlin There was no real point to changing the word other then the fact they could, it is stupid as me making llover be...

Americanizing words just makes the language more diverse, it's not idiotic in any way. Why did the English decide to take Latin and change random words to form a new language? Same with the Spanish? Listen to your argument and ask yourself it is making any sense at all.

@Adieu Americanizing words just makes the language more diverse, it's not idiotic in any way. Why did the English decide...

Well we did not take a entire language and change like 30 words by a letter or two, we based it off of Latin and such, but we did make a completely different language with words based off of Latin and Celtic and German language.

@963433

Not ignorant, They way people pronounce things is understandable, but spelling the original was made that way for a reason because it sounds right and looks right. You do not see the Spanish in america spelling the word colour wrong (in spanish) just because they can.

@963460

I am not saying incorrect exactly, I mean there really is no point for Americans to change the language by deleting u's and t's. If they just kept the it the same and didn't make those stupid little edits they wouldn't look so stupid. I mean seriously they changed the language by like a few words for no reason at all. It is like me going, llover will now spelt lover because well I can TAKE THAT SPAIN! It is THEIR language, just keep it their way as it is their language.

@963795

@963795 (ashnicoleluvsblg): I am not saying it is your fault. I am saying they change the language so little there seems no point, it isn't like a city country has its own... lingo, there are the same words off by a letter or two, the only understandable word is from soccer to football, a completely different term, color and colour, realise and realize there is no point to changing that.

@thedoctormerlin @963795 (ashnicoleluvsblg): I am not saying it is your fault. I am saying they change the language so little there...

Stop your bitching dude, its called adapting. Get over your "british is better and everything there is spelled right err hurr" high horse