+274

If you try to "see" something that's behind your head, you see nothing at all. That must be what a person who is blind from birth "sees". amirite?

wobbuffets avatar
4 28
The voters have decided that wobbuffet is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Hmm, people are disagreeing...I thought this was a good conceptualization of what a blind person sees. If you disagree, what do you think they see?

wobbuffets avatar wobbuffet Yeah You Are +6Reply
@wobbuffet Hmm, people are disagreeing...I thought this was a good conceptualization of what a blind person sees. If you...

I disagreed because I can still see when I try to see something behind my head. everything is just blurry. Maybe I'm not doing it right or something...

I disagreed because if you try to 'see' what's behind you without looking, you can still imagine what is there. And you are still seeing what's in front of you. So I don't think it's anything like being blind. I mean, if you think about it, do blind people even have any concept of color?

@I disagreed because if you try to 'see' what's behind you without looking, you can still imagine what is there. And...

retard, if you can't see what's behind you and you've never seen in your life, then you have no idea of what's behind you and you can't see it... so you're incredibly wrong on that point.

That -might- be what it's like if you're blind from birth. Keyword being "might", you don't really know, I think that's why people are disagreeing.

On the plus side, it's better to have sight and wonder what it's like being blind than to be blind and wonder what it's like to have sight.

The_Enlighteneds avatar The_Enlightened Yeah You Are +4Reply

Blind people don't "see" anything. A friend of mine lost her sight, and tried explaining it to me what its like. She says she sees nothing, not even blackness. It is literally and irrevocably nothingness beyond darkness.

Or you can just close your eyes....

This is very clever, but concept of blindness still boggles my mind...

You just blew my mind. :O

Mandii_Smiths avatar Mandii_Smith Yeah You Are 0Reply

wait I don't get it, what do you mean "see" behind your head?

@Kiwimango9 wait I don't get it, what do you mean "see" behind your head?

When you look forward, you can't see behind you can you? You have to imagine what's there, and if you try to look, you don't even see anything

@DerpinaMcDerpington When you look forward, you can't see behind you can you? You have to imagine what's there, and if you try to look...

the part I'm confused about is the "if you try to look you don't see anything." do you mean like moving your eyes to the back of your head lmao! I'm just not getting this today headache sorry :P

@Kiwimango9 the part I'm confused about is the "if you try to look you don't see anything." do you mean like moving your eyes...

No, I don't mean moving your eyes.

Here's a way I could rephrase it: at this very moment, you can only see the things that are within the range of your peripheral vision. Everything else, you can't see at all. This is what a blind person sees, period.

wobbuffets avatar wobbuffet Yeah You Are 0Reply

This post seems very short-sighted (pardon the pun!). A blind person would have no concept of what things look like except for what they can feel. So everything might 'look' black, but with shapes? I think we need an actual blind person to comment on this . . oh wait . . .

I don't know whether to agree or disagree. Because we have seen before so we can assemble or imagine the picture of what's behind us. Like if i've seen my bed before and I'm not facing it, it's blurry but I know how it looks like.
If i'm not facing the street I can still imagine what kind of cars are driving behind me.
But I agree in the sense that if i experience something knew with a sense that's not my sight, like a new/abstract sound, then it would sort of fit. Except that we will use our memory to build of and imagine.

Omg brain fartttttttt

I have been blind since birth and I would describe it more like closing your eyes. I am blind so I would know.