+218

Writing amirite posts is like being a classical composer. Mozart wrote 41 symphonies, and of them only no. 25 and no. 40 are really famous. Most amiriters write a lot of posts and only a few are homepaged and fully enjoyed. amirite?

YuZs avatar Technology
4 11
The voters have decided that YuZ is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

This post implies that classical composers are the only popular artists with unappreciated work. Can you think of one musical act/ director/ artist/ writer that had ALL of their work be fully appreciated? Even the Beatles had Yellow Submarine.

@shorkian This post implies that classical composers are the only popular artists with unappreciated work. Can you think of...

Yellow Submarine is a bad example, because if anything it's over appreciated. It's really quite a terrible song.

@Courage_Wolf Yellow Submarine is a bad example, because if anything it's over appreciated. It's really quite a terrible song.

I meant the album. It's often considered their worst, since it only contains four new songs actually performed by the band. The rest is either score or rereleased music.

@shorkian I meant the album. It's often considered their worst, since it only contains four new songs actually performed by...

Well, it sounds like people are justified in considering it the weakest album then. The post is talking about being fully appreciated, and maybe Yellow Submarine doesn't deserve the same levels of success and critical acclaim as their albums.

@Courage_Wolf Well, it sounds like people are justified in considering it the weakest album then. The post is talking about being...

Well, that could work for anyone. Not all work an artist does is equal in quality. Besides, a lot of Beatles enthusiasts will call Yellow Submarine completely terrible just because it's the weakest, when it's four new, original pieces can hold their own against any Beatles song. But mostly, I included this example because the Beatles are the closest band I can think of to having all hit albums. At least, with that many albums.

@shorkian Well, that could work for anyone. Not all work an artist does is equal in quality. Besides, a lot of Beatles...

I disagree overall with this post because I believe a lot of posts don't belong on the homepage. But if we're talking about full appreciation of an artist, I don't think you need to give all their songs the same amount of listens or make the same effort to understand all their material if some of it isn't as good. In order to fully appreciate Radiohead, for example, you only need to listen to Pablo Honey once or twice. Yellow Submarine might not necessarily deserve being called shit just because it's a weak album, but it doesn't deserve the same popularity as their more original albums.

I think classical music provides the strongest analogy. Modern music is just so easy to find: you can look up the Beatles on iTunes and it'll give you a list of all their albums. Some are more popular than others, but there they are, nice and laid out for you.

But with classical music, only the best has managed to survive into the modern day. Look up "Mozart Symphony" on iTunes, and you'll find 50 recordings of #40 before you find a single recording of #8. Similarly, a good post on amirite gets on the homepage and gets tons of favorites, while a bad post fizzles off and gets lost in a user's list of posts.

@wobbuffet I think classical music provides the strongest analogy. Modern music is just so easy to find: you can look up the...

True, in general, classical music would make a better analogy. However, you need to keep in mind just what the analogy is. The post compares amirite posts to music, and in that context, contemporary music is much more relatable. By the same logic that I could look up unknown music by an artist you like, I could just as easily click on your profile, and read every post you've made.

Why just classical composers? This can apply to all musicians.

Unless you're like me and write only a few posts that are practically never appreciated.