+540

The original stories from the Brothers Grimm are actually a bit shocking, especially when you've only known the Disney versions, like how Pocohontas actually dies in England from syphilis because she was forced to prostitute herself instead having a happily ever after, amirite?

anneso53s avatar
17 48
The voters have decided that anneso53 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Pocahontas is not from the Brothers Grimm. It's a Native American story whereas the Grimms were German story collectors.

@Pocahontas is not from the Brothers Grimm. It's a Native American story whereas the Grimms were German story collectors.

and actually what happened was that she died because of pneumonia or something else that had to do with the lungs

@650991 (Danica): Yeah I just realized that Pochontas isn't from the brother's grimm, sorry about that ! But nonetheless, the other stories that really are from them are shocking lol.

Oh God.. One childhood story ruined.

@PersonaNonGrata Oh God.. One childhood story ruined.

Tell me about it. When my history teacher told me this I was shocked.

@anneso53 Tell me about it. When my history teacher told me this I was shocked.

Well, seems that some teachers are intent on spoiling precious childhood stories and memories.. Oh history teachers and their factuality D:

Also Pocahontus was 11 years old and John Smith was in his 50s/60s. So they weren't lovers either. My history teacher told me this and everyone started freaking out.

And they all lived happily, ever after, except for Pocohontos. The end. Sounds pretty solid to me.

I have a few really disturbing fairytales from when I was a kid. In the 3 Little Pigs, the pigs cooked and ate the wolf. And in Snow White, the evil queen had to dance in shoes of molten lead until she died.

@I have a few really disturbing fairytales from when I was a kid. In the 3 Little Pigs, the pigs cooked and ate the...

Also in Snow White didn't Snow White die from being smothered by an enchanted corset (I remember it being pretty gory, intestines spewing and whatnot)?

I just read a biography on Pocahontas in my American Women's history class (studying for my history minor) & pocahontas was a real girl, she married John Rolf, travelled to England & died there of a European disease (probably smallpox) when she was only 19. She wasn't a whorem the other Native Americans who travelled with her got sick and a majority of them died as well.

umm...you make it sound like pocohontas was a brothers grimm story..just btw..

raequinn101s avatar raequinn101 Yeah You Are +3Reply

Holy shit O.O All of this information pretty much killed my childhood.

I really hope you don't REALLY think that Pocahontas was written by the brothers grimm...

Cinderella's step sisters cut bits off their feet to try and get the slipper on.

@Cinderella's step sisters cut bits off their feet to try and get the slipper on.

Oh yeah, I think I read that in the German version of Cinderella (Aschenputtel).

WHAT!?!?!

@528879

The sisters cut off their toes to fit in the slipper, and end up getting their eyes pecked out by crows.

TheWeasels avatar TheWeasel Yeah You Are +1Reply

oh yeah, and in the original version of sleeping beauty, the first thing the king does when he wakes up is rape his daughter.. while she's still asleep.

:u

@651230

... god damn LOL.

i heard the king did it, but either way the rape is strange and unneeded in the story. o___o;

Is that what actually happenned!?!?
:(:(:(:(:(

Well I mean its not really anybodies fault for ruining Pocahontas since thats how it ended in real life. She wasn't some made up princess.

Ariel was ripped limb from limb by her sisters, I believe.

@Ariel was ripped limb from limb by her sisters, I believe.

I was reading up on it and actualy well her tail got ripped in two from the potion and the prince was like going to marry someone else and she ends up disolving haha

IGGYs avatar IGGY Yeah You Are +1Reply

She died and turned to sea foam coz the prince married someone else.

In the Hunchback of Notre Dame novel, he dies and Esmerelda dies as well. But Disney thought it was too sad ;p

I don't think Aladdin was a story from the Brothers Grimm, but it actually took place in Muslim China, and the princess was Asian.

@I don't think Aladdin was a story from the Brothers Grimm, but it actually took place in Muslim China, and the...

Alddin was from One Thousand and One Arabian Nights a collection of stories from the Islamic Golden Age. Fun fact, Princess Jasmine's orginal name was Princess Badroulbadour, but I call her Beyonce for short

SetUp4Sarcasms avatar SetUp4Sarcasm Yeah You Are +1Reply
@aladdin was an iraqi or middle eastern story not a chinese one.

Iraq? It was definitely middle eastern,I think Jordan.

What are you smoking? "101 Arabian Nights". It took place in Saudi Arabia. Where else would you have a Sultan?

Ariel's tongue gets cut out, its not a magic potion.

@Ariel's tongue gets cut out, its not a magic potion.

That's right. So there's no chance of her EVER getting her voice back. And hers give their hair to the witch so they can go up and give Ariel the knife to kill the prince. But she can't do it, so she dies.

BagelFinagles avatar BagelFinagle Yeah You Are 0Reply

actually, the grimm stories were written to educate children

The Grimm brothers fairy tales were originally intended for drunken men in taverns. It was for entertainment. Hence the gore the innuendoes and such.

OhEmGee_Muffins avatar OhEmGee_Muffin Yeah You Are -1Reply
@OhEmGee_Muffin The Grimm brothers fairy tales were originally intended for drunken men in taverns. It was for entertainment. Hence...

It was actually a collection of stories that had been passed down for generations through families that had never gotten written. They were story collectors. If the stories were intended for drunk men in taverns, there would have been WAAAAYYYY more sex.

@651212

She's Native American