+429

You'd think that with 10 years of production and millions of dollars spent on ground-breaking animation and special effects, those script-writers for avatar could've thought of something better than "unobtainium", amirite?

6 25

That was actually one of the most clever jokes in the movie, imo.

when i first read about unobtanium in a magazine, i read it as uno-btanium, as in one. it made more sense when i heard it

Unobtanium was used in Sci-Fi way before Avatar.

@BreakfastFan Unobtanium was used in Sci-Fi way before Avatar.

That doesn't mean they couldn't have come up with something better. Unobtanium just sounds silly.

@That doesn't mean they couldn't have come up with something better. Unobtanium just sounds silly.

It's an already existing word. That's like saying that JK Rowling should have used something more creative than "Goblet" in the 4th book because it's a silly word that you don't like.

@BreakfastFan It's an already existing word. That's like saying that JK Rowling should have used something more creative than...

It's only an "existing word" in fiction, not to mention that it's a bit different when a word is describing something that doesn't actually exist and that's really no excuse. What if "assrapeonium" was a recurring word in Sci-fi would it justify using that word?

@It's only an "existing word" in fiction, not to mention that it's a bit different when a word is describing...

@870601 (Anonymous): A word is a real word no matter where it's used... Unobtanium is in the dictionary. Shakespeare invented these words:

accommodation
aerial
amazement
apostrophe
assassination
auspicious
baseless
bump
castigate
changeful
clangor
control (noun)
countless
courtship
critic
critical
dexterously
dishearten
dislocate
dwindle
eventful
exposure
fitful
frugal
generous
gloomy
gnarled
hurry
impartial
inauspicious
indistinguishable
invulnerable
lapse
laughable
lonely
majestic
misplaced
monumental
multitudinous
obscene
palmy
perusal
pious
premeditated
radiance
reliance
road
sanctimonious
seamy
sportive
submerge
suspicious

But I guess those don't count because they were made in fictitious plays, huh? 

@BreakfastFan @870601 (Anonymous): A word is a real word no matter where it's used... Unobtanium is in the dictionary...

You just deleted your own comment and posted it again so people wouldn't be able to see the reply that I made, didn't you? Now that's just sad...

@You just deleted your own comment and posted it again so people wouldn't be able to see the reply that I made...

I deleted it like a minute and a half after because it was too long to fit into the box. When I copied and pasted that list of Shakespeare words, I highlighted a bunch of links and stuff by accident and that pushed it over the character limit. Besides, your response didn't even deal with what I wrote; you just repeated the exact same thing as before. What's sad is that you couldn't think up a decent reply.

@You still haven't answered my question so your argument is invalid.

What question? Do you mean that little assrapetonium bit was an actual question and not an attempt at a joke? Okay, here you go: If "Assrapetonium" was a literary device used in many classic sci-fi books and in the dictionary like Unobtanium is, then yes it would be justifyable to use it in a movie.

@BreakfastFan What question? Do you mean that little assrapetonium bit was an actual question and not an attempt at a joke? Okay...

You would have no problem with them using "Assrapetonium"? Well, then that's just you being weird, not my problem. And if you think "Assrapetonium" was a too extreme example then what about "kryptonite"? I think that word is in the dictionary as well and most people would agree with me that it would be silly of them to use that word.

@You would have no problem with them using "Assrapetonium"? Well, then that's just you being weird, not my problem...

Kryptonite is a better example because it means "weakness" in the same way that unobtainum means something that is hard to get or intangible. The difference is that kryptonite is more related to Superman, while most people don't associate Unobtanium with a specific work because it is a concept used all throughout sci-fi. So yes, I agree that it would be stupid for Avatar or another big movie to use Kryptonite, but only because it would be ripping off Superman.

@BreakfastFan Kryptonite is a better example because it means "weakness" in the same way that unobtainum means something that is...

Yeah, but my intention with the example was to show that you can't just completely disregard my opinion that it would be silly to use that word just because it's a real word, as you did before. If we're on the same page that I am well within my rights to find the use of the word "Unobtanium" utterly silly, then I guess this conversation is over.

@Yeah, but my intention with the example was to show that you can't just completely disregard my opinion that it...

You can find it silly if you want to, but it is a real, legitimate word that has been used for decades in works of science fiction and it represents a legitimate literary concept. If you think that Unobtanium is "utterly silly", then you've set the bar quite high and I have some bad news for you about many, many, many other words.

@870626

I'm just saying it's only used in fiction and that it's describing something that does not exist which makes it COMPLETELY different from "goblet". And again, what if "assrapeonium" was a recurring word in Sci-fi would it justify using that word?

Yeah it's actually just a big joke between Sci-Fi writers. They also use it in The Core I think, or some movie like that, and they put it around the craft so that it can withstand the pressure and heat of the earths core.

Out of all the shit bits of Avatar, that one word is hardly the downfall. The fact of 10 years and they did little more then tweak the story of Pocahontas is an issue thats more important....

the thing is, its actually a real element. it has to be made in a lab and on earth only lasts fractions of a second, but it has been confermd to exist. it wasnt a joke lol

@It's not real, but get off of Avatar's ass for the element thing...

it is, but because its not natural, most periodic tables do not recognize it. only the really legitimate "hardcore" scientific ones have it

@must_remember_this the thing is, its actually a real element. it has to be made in a lab and on earth only lasts fractions of a...

I don't believe you because you don't use apostraphies and you failed to spell confirmed

Anonymous