+86

Earth needs some sort of moon-based defense from aliens. If they were to come down here and try to attack us, we've got a shot (after all, we owned the Na'vi, Prawns and a host of others), but if they just start taking shots at us from space we're pretty much ruined.... amirite?

Technology
3 20

We should build a giant ring with two supports. Centrifugal force and gravity would keep the ring in space and the supports pretty much just keep it in equilibrium. We could build guns on the outside and space elevators on the inside, like the ones in Halo. Or we could just use SMAC platforms like the Cairo...

B10ckH34ds avatar B10ckH34d Yeah You Are +3Reply
@B10ckH34d We should build a giant ring with two supports. Centrifugal force and gravity would keep the ring in space and the...

Or we could save our money for much important matters, or until the need for such a device actually arises.

But what would be the point? Intergalactic war seems like a chance that is slim to none. Scientists haven't discovered much more than bacteria in space.

Mars? All he'd need is a few plants for oxygen... Or if he took a few people and a large enough ship, he could establish a colony.

B10ckH34ds avatar B10ckH34d Yeah You Are +1Reply

Maybe the colony would already know? Word gets around pretty quick. lol

However, I get your point. It's cool, but at this point unnecessary?

Yeah, but it would probably take several decades to build. I don't mean we build it right now, I'm just saying it would be a better choice than on the moon. Maybe we should build it really slowly, like maybe 30% of GDP surplus from each country goes into building it...

B10ckH34ds avatar B10ckH34d Yeah You Are 0Reply

That's why it's such a low priority. And besides, what if we invent interplanetary travel for people, and a criminal tries to escape? we could use the ring platform to shoot down their ship. Anyway, it's still a possibility. Aliens probably have cloaking, too.

Am I the only one that thinks any society advanced enough for interstellar travel will have evolved beyond the concept of war?

@Scientist Am I the only one that thinks any society advanced enough for interstellar travel will have evolved beyond the...

Yes, probably. War is the ultimate decision maker. Negotiations are better, but if you don't comply, nothing happens to you. War, on the other hand would force others to bend to your will, because it threatens their very survival.

B10ckH34ds avatar B10ckH34d Yeah You Are -1Reply

ono smilie The na'vi were a bunch of less intelligent beings with almost no technology. Also they pretty much kicked our asses.

@Max The na'vi were a bunch of less intelligent beings with almost no technology. Also they pretty much kicked our...

Yes, thank you. At the point I wrote the comment, I'd only seen the word used in writing so I couldn't phonetically spell it.

Technologically advanced and intelligent are very different things. And technically, we mainly kicked our own

@Technologically advanced and intelligent are very different things. And technically, we mainly kicked our own

I know intelligent wasn't the right word. I sat here for 20 minutes trying to think of the word for it. I think it's like sentinent but ffs spell check is telling me that's not a word.

It's spelled sentient, and the Na'vi were more sentient than humans. And that movie made me almost certain the human intelligence is gradually dropping. I mean, they have freakin interstellar travel, and an orbital bombardment occurs to no one?

Half Life 2 is probably an example, if we're to perfect multidimensional portal technology, we need a mute with a hazmat suit and a crowbar waiting at every- and I mean EVERY portal. Period.