+776

The Bible says, "Thou shall not kill." Not, "Thou shall not kill, unless it's for God. Then you can kill all the fuckers you want.", amirite?

koopoo3000s avatar
43 46
The voters have decided that koopoo3000 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I wish this post was around during the Spanish Inquisition. But then I guess the poster would be killed anyway for saying this.

fangirl12s avatar fangirl12 Yeah You Are +26Reply

Any religious person who kills someone is in the wrong. Any non-religious person who kills someone is in the wrong. Can we all agree on that? (yea I'm a Christian)

Isn't killing someone (for any reason) killing out of anger, hate, or selfish reasons?

@581798

The catholic church actually told them it was okay and they were pretty corrupt at the time. The land was important to them so they did it on their own. Some were just nuts and thought if they killed people in the name of God, much like todays muslim terrorists, they could make it to heaven that way.

fangirl12s avatar fangirl12 Yeah You Are +1Reply
@581798

That's what my dad always tells me to say if I get into legal trouble

@581798

they also sacked constantinople and screwed the byzantine emperor who put out the call for aid in the east in the first place. so yeah, none of them knew what they were doing in the middle east in the first place. take jerusalem! reclaim the holy city! and how exactly are the english going to maintain knights in palestine? screw it, just kill everyone.

The original translation means 'murder.' Not all killing is murder.

It actually says "Do not murder." There is a difference between kill And murder.

so basically dont be like Connor and Murphy in The Boondock Saints

This is actually a point of contention among many theologians. In the original Hebrew, the commandment actually translates to "thou shalt not murder" not "thou shalt not kill". Even today, murder is considered different from just killing. Murder is punishable by law(b/c it's usually just for personal gain). Killing on the other hand, would also include acts of war (like killing Nazis to stop the Holocaust) and wouldn't technically be prohibited by the Ten Commandments. At least that's how I understand it.

Something tells me most modern Christians don't support the crusades

In the old testament, God told many people to go kill other people. And in deutoronomy 20, it talks about murder and the killing of people, and punishments.

mm
were you going for king james? because that would includethe word 'shalt'
if not, then the word 'thou' and is outdated in terms of it not being included in that passage of modern english bibles

The Ten Commandments are in the Bible.
So, it's by association I guess . . .

I miss it when everyone was talking about Julian getting someone to kill his father's murderer :[

Didn't Moses kill 3000 people immediately before/after receiving the ten commandments?

LewisLs avatar LewisL No Way -3Reply
@Qorbyn uh. no? he broke some rocks

Exodus 32:26-28 "then Moses stood in the gate of the camp, and said: 'Whoso is on the LORD'S side, let him come unto me.' And all the sons of Levi gathered themselves together unto him. And he said unto them: 'Thus saith the LORD, the God of Israel: Put ye every man his sword upon his thigh, and go to and fro from gate to gate throughout the camp, and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbour.' And the sons of Levi did according to the word of Moses; and there fell of the people that day about three thousand men."

This conversation just became biblical.

LewisLs avatar LewisL No Way -4Reply
@LewisL Exodus 32:26-28 "then Moses stood in the gate of the camp, and said: 'Whoso is on the LORD'S side, let him come...

immediately after moses received the ten commandments he went down mount sinai, saw the golden cow the israelites made while he was gone, facepalmed, and then got pissed and broke the rocks he had in his hands. thats immediately.
and for the love of god, use something other than king james

@Qorbyn immediately after moses received the ten commandments he went down mount sinai, saw the golden cow the israelites...

Let's use the new international version then. Exodus 32:25-28

"25 Moses saw that the people were running wild and that Aaron had let them get out of control and so become a laughingstock to their enemies. 26 So he stood at the entrance to the camp and said, "Whoever is for the LORD, come to me." And all the Levites rallied to him.

27 Then he said to them, "This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: 'Each man strap a sword to his side. Go back and forth through the camp from one end to the other, each killing his brother and friend and neighbor.' " 28 The Levites did as Moses commanded, and that day about three thousand of the people died."

LewisLs avatar LewisL No Way -2Reply
@LewisL Let's use the new international version then. Exodus 32:25-28 "25 Moses saw that the people were running wild and...

that wasnt my point. using olden english annoys me because it alienates what the things which are said rather than directly delivering the message

@Qorbyn that wasnt my point. using olden english annoys me because it alienates what the things which are said rather than...

I thought you're point was that Moses didn't kill those people, but I guess I misunderstood.

@LewisL I thought you're point was that Moses didn't kill those people, but I guess I misunderstood.

i was arguing against your use of the term 'immediate'. he doesnt just stroll into camp and declare 'sons of the true god, come to me! draw your swords and kill those among us who have sinned!' first, he steps out of a natural disaster, sees a shiny golden cow, gets pissed, and breaks some rocks =P

I actually think this in the Ten Commandments, not Bible, but the meaning is there, so I YYA'd this.

Katffros avatar Katffro Yeah You Are -10Reply
@youreXallXcrazy Aren't they also listed in the Bible though? (idk I'm not religious..)

(youreXallXcrazy):Yeah, they are in the bible. Exodus I believe. Also, you wouldn't murder soemone if you loved them and the second most important commandment according to Jesus is love thy neighbor as thyself.

fangirl12s avatar fangirl12 Yeah You Are +6Reply

The Commandments are in the Bible.
But they're not only in the Bible.

Katffros avatar Katffro Yeah You Are -6Reply

What it's talking about is killing out of anger, hate, or for selfish reasons....

@future_WNBA_allstar What it's talking about is killing out of anger, hate, or for selfish reasons....

Why would you kill someone other than for your own self? What is the one you're killing or their family gaining from their death?

fangirl12s avatar fangirl12 Yeah You Are +18Reply
@581854

@581854 (Julian): My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father, prepare to die.

@581854

Revenge is a form of anger. The bible teaches forgiveness and condemns revenge.

@581904

Calm down now, Inigo Montoya. Anger only leads to more anger. It eats you up inside and you will never be truly satisfied.

fangirl12s avatar fangirl12 Yeah You Are +14Reply
@581928

If you purposely cause the death, you're still the one that killed him.

fangirl12s avatar fangirl12 Yeah You Are +7Reply
@581946

It's still your fault. You wanted it to happen and didn't forgive him. Instead, you chose to hurt him. Therefore, you're guilty. Even if you casually mention that the guy that killed your father would like a nice bullet to the head, it's your fault.

fangirl12s avatar fangirl12 Yeah You Are +4Reply
@581904

Haven't you learned anything from Hamlet! Revenge gets you nowhere

alicia_quayss avatar alicia_quays Yeah You Are +4Reply

god is not real.

@god is not real.

why are you looking for an arguement. obviously people are going to disagree with you, silly!

@god is not real.

True. But no more of these debates. Don't even try starting one

youreXallXcrazys avatar youreXallXcrazy Yeah You Are -3Reply