+172

THey should stop wasting so much time teaching us about how to interpret novels in school and more time teaching us how to be good people. amirite?

Smileys avatar
3 29
The voters have decided that Smiley is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Yea, they should waste time not teaching you education even though that's what they're paid to do! Yea!

It's not the job of your school to teach you to be a good person.

@YeahIAm It's not the job of your school to teach you to be a good person.

Well yeah, otherwise why would this post have been made?

This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. The purpose of going to school is to get an education that'll help you be successful in the real world. Having morality but not knowing 2+2 is going to get you nowhere. Having intelligence but being a cruel jackass will at least get you a job and earn you a living. I'd rather be a little mean if I can actually fucking feed myself.

Morality is subjective. You can't teach a specific guideline of morals to a group with varying opinions. Teaching everyone one way to think is essentially brainwashing them. For example, gay marriage. If the teachers taught everyone gay marriage is a sin, you're removing the possibility for the fighting of equal rights. If teachers taught gay marriage is not a sin, then religious students will have a hard time distinguishing their teacher's and parents' beliefs. Either they'll fail the class or lose faith in their religion.

Doing this would be a REALLY crappy idea. Morality belongs to individuals, not a whole fucking class. If everyone had the same opinions imposed on them by their teachers, the world be a damn boring place and If everyone had the same ideas, NO CHANGE would EVER happen.

@spareseconds This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. The purpose of going to school is to get an education that'll help you...

Not that I don't agree with you, but like others said, there are certain values that are the same in all cultures

Also, why can't it be both? Show people the endless possibility and the non-existence of of absolute right or wrong

If that makes sense XD
I'm really not good with wording this kind of stuff

@O____o Not that I don't agree with you, but like others said, there are certain values that are the same in all...

True. Some morals, like murder, war, etc. are the same in all cultures. However, I've never really had someone "teach" me that those things were wrong. As I grew, learned, and gained experience, I've caught on. In a way, those things are actually taught in school. History teaches the effects or war. Books teach general morality.

By not forcing a list of strict viewpoints on students, it allows them to form their own thoughts. If someone told a child every day for years that eating green things is horrid and barbaric, he likely would never do that. If they never spoke a word of which foods to prefer, he may find that he quite enjoys green foods. That's why it's so important for teachers to remain indifferent on controversial topics when teaching.

@spareseconds True. Some morals, like murder, war, etc. are the same in all cultures. However, I've never really had someone...

I think teachers should, at times, be able to voice their own opinion
I guess XD

As long as they don't state it as if it is the truth
Doing a great job of explaining myself...

@O____o I think teachers should, at times, be able to voice their own opinion I guess XD As long as they don't state it as...

If that were to happen, it should only happen in a high school class, preferably history or debate class, or whenever the topic comes up, where they can face rebuttal. Before that, little kids are just too impressionable.

Is this a joke? I hope to god this is a joke. I have no clue how this got a positive score.

How do you "teach" someone to be a good person without breaking out the Ludovico treatment?

@ctiscooler How do you "teach" someone to be a good person without breaking out the Ludovico treatment?

Since I guess not that many people have read A Clockwork Orange, allow me to explain.
You cannot program someone to be a good person. People have free will. They choose how they behave, be it good or bad. If you teach someone to be good, then you take away their capacity for choice. And someone who cannot make their own choices sounds more like a machine than a human to me.
And yes, I got that from a book. Which I read in school. How about that?

@ctiscooler Since I guess not that many people have read A Clockwork Orange, allow me to explain. You cannot program someone to...

But likewise you can't make someone a musician but you can teach them how to play. If you teach a hundred students to play, you'll get 10 good musicians when they leave school. If you teach 0, it's highly likely that 0 would become musicians.

Maybe the post doesn't mean making the students into good people, but showing them how.

Nacklefoodles avatar Nacklefoodle Yeah You Are +8Reply
@Nacklefoodle But likewise you can't make someone a musician but you can teach them how to play. If you teach a hundred students...

But the issue with morality is that there's no sheet music for it. As spareseconds said below, there is no definite right or wrong. It's nearly impossible to teach someone morals without letting your cultural beliefs bleed over.

@ctiscooler But the issue with morality is that there's no sheet music for it. As spareseconds said below, there is no definite...

There are some things... Like teaching what definitely not to do. I mean there are things that are wrong for all cultures ever, and there are things that make good people in all cultures ever. You can't teach morals, but you can teach a person with morals to do better things.

Nacklefoodles avatar Nacklefoodle Yeah You Are 0Reply

Books can teach you to be a good person.

You can't teach someone to be a good person, you have to figure it out on your own. Quite often you can learn from books...

Morality is something to be taught to children by their parents or guardians. Interpreting a novel allows for one to learn how to look at things from different points of view, something that can be used in the real world when making decisions.

It's entirely possible to do both. In fact, the idea my english teacher based all our lessons on this year was "What does it mean to be good?"

I think sometimes the way they make us interpret things in novels that are not there is ridiculous, but learning to be a good person in school? That's not something that can be taught, and "good" is subjective.

_Jojo_s avatar _Jojo_ No Way +3Reply

If that's what you want, send your children to a parochial school. I'm actually less likely to do what someone says about morality if they say their view is objective, like my current school does. Of course, I go to a Catholic school and I'm an atheist so I rarely, if ever, do the things they tell me I should do.

I think what they meant is instead of having students figure out why the author made the sky periwinkle blue instead of baby blue and focusing on minor details that have no meaning USUALLY in the book other then to bring the story to life and instead make a few notes how a character was affected by a bad choice say murdering someone. That's just how I'm seeing it though.

There are a few morals I believe people should always know; don't expect to be treated wonderfully if you are an ass, work hard if you give a damn, and tip your waitress when they deserve it and worked hard.

Moral relavtisim. What does being a good person mean? What is good and what is bad are subjective. There are no set rules or standards for being good and even if there were, we'd end up with automated robots with no theory of mind whatsoever nor creativity.

What schools should do is educate students about Maths, Science and even literature. Maths gives you problem solving skills and increases the capacity of your perception and thinking, while literature might seem insignificant to you when relating to 'life skills or morals' yet a book, especially ones given at school present ideas that are thought provoking or morals in an eloquent, more dolled up indirect way.
So basically what schools do is give you th skills that you need to obtain to determine what you perceive as good and bad, an with better education comes better judgement.

Rasheds avatar Rashed No Way +1Reply
@YeahIAm So why'd you YYA the post?

I meant to NW it. I didn't notice until you pointed it out. But it is obvious from comment where I stand on this.

Because each person's definition of that is different, and if your's is different they are basically saying you're a bad person, and all of those 'be good people' lessons and stuff end up in this fake, mushy shit usually.