+394

If Kelsey Grammer was a grammar/spelling Nazi, he'd change the spelling of his last name. Then again, if he was 100% man, he might change his first name to something more masculine, amirite?

Rockys avatar
6 9
The voters have decided that Rocky is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Why change his last name?
It is Grammer as in the name not the word.

@Why change his last name? It is Grammer as in the name not the word.

(American Witch): Yes but if he was a GrammAr Nazi.....
Have you watched the movie Anastasia yet, rocky?

Rocky, if he WERE here, he'd be disappointed in your lack of subjunctive.
:(

@scrantoncity Rocky, if he WERE here, he'd be disappointed in your lack of subjunctive. :(

There's no need for a subjunctive.

Rocky used a past indicative. This is perfectly acceptable, however it presents a stylistic error. Stylistically, his sentence is poor because he used a verb form of "to be" which makes it passive, but grammatically, it is perfectly fine.

@Jojoba There's no need for a subjunctive. Rocky used a past indicative. This is perfectly acceptable, however it...

I have always found the past subjunctive to be completely stupid, and it sounds dissonant to my ear.
"If you were a superhero..." sounds fine, but "If your dad were in the mountains" sounds idiotic. I never learned it that way anyway.

@582040 (Jojoba): I appreciate your input. What verb form do you suggest I should've used instead?

@Rocky I have always found the past subjunctive to be completely stupid, and it sounds dissonant to my ear. "If you were a...

Well, really it's not about verb form at all you know?

It's about active/passive. In the sentence you have, the subject, Kelsey Grammar isn't really DOING anything, you see what I mean?

Was, are, will have, will have been, has been, is, etc. are all verb forms of "to be." Style is a bitch, and I'm not great at it either, I just really wanted to say something about that guy's douchebaggery haha

I think it'd be more stylistically correct for it to be something like:

Should Kelsey Grammer become a Grammar Nazi, he would surely change the spelling of his last name. Then again, if he upholds his 100% manliness, he might change his first name to something more masculine.

Ugh, that was a pain to write. I might have changed the meaning of the sentence a little, but that's as good an active version of it that I can finagle.

Also, even though what I wrote was stylistically more correct, I believe the way you wrote it was funnier. (:

@Jojoba Well, really it's not about verb form at all you know? It's about active/passive. In the sentence you have, the...

I see what you mean.

What about

Supposing Kelsey Grammer was a Grammar Nazi, he would change the spelling of his last name. Then again, the fact that he's left his first name alone too suggests he's not 100% man.

:P

No, actually, you're wrong. His sentences are contrary to fact, making it subjunctive. Meaning he needed to use "were."
Good try.