+316

Two hands at work accomplish more than a thousand hands clasped in prayer. amirite?

bluscluss avatar
16 96
The voters have decided that blusclus is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I heard a story once:There was this kid who had a brain tumor and the doctors spent 16 hours carefully removing it. There was a high mortality rate for people who have this kind of tumor but still the doctors/surgeons did whatever they can to save the kid. Fortunately, the kid survived. First reaction from the parents? "Oh thank you GOD!!" Thank you Jesus!"
Sometimes credit isn't really given where credit is due.

@580889

Do you realize what you're saying when you say say "thank God"? You are literally verbally giving thanks to God!

@585160

and how did that saying start?

God helps those who help themselves

@soccerfan God helps those who help themselves

My grandpa told me about a guy down the street who didn't shovel his walk becuase "The Lord would help him". My mom's response was what you just said. Stinkin' crazies, ruin it for the rest of us.

I love controversial posts and debate that ensues because of them.

incedios avatar incedio Yeah You Are +5Reply

Why can't we do both?

@Rene_Magritte There's not always time.

I can pray while I work. It's not like I need to devote an hour to plead with God. I can just quietly ask him to help.

That's a relevant question. Here's another; where did God come from? Why is it so easy for Christians to accept that God just always existed and that we'll never know how, but can't for the life of them accept that we'll possibly never know how humans came to be.

"Maybe the world wasn't made. Maybe nothing was made... A clock without a craftsman"

@TheLycanLady That's a relevant question. Here's another; where did God come from? Why is it so easy for Christians to accept...

Christianity is based on the Bible. The Bible states how Man was created. That's how we know.

@bethyboo Christianity is based on the Bible. The Bible states how Man was created. That's how we know.

I hope I get my letter from Hogwarts soon, because according to your logic, anything in a book must be true.

@bethyboo It's God's word.

And how do you know it's God's word, did God tell you?

@bethyboo uh, yeah... In the Bible.

Think about what you just said, that would be the equivalent of Darwin say in his thesis "Keep in mind that I said so, so it's obviously true." You have no proof that anything in the Bible was even vaguely influenced by any real events, it could be a fiction book taken out of context for all we know. I'm not saying you're stupid for believing in something, I'm saying you're stupid for believing it without open-mindedly thinking it through.

@Kyle33860 Think about what you just said, that would be the equivalent of Darwin say in his thesis "Keep in mind that I said...

I have thought it through. There is much evidence in today's life that points to the Bible being accurate.

@Kyle33860 Give me a few examples and I'll dispute their idiocy.

The book of Leviticus (written prior to 1400 BC) describes the value of blood.
Leviticus 17:11
‘For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you upon the altar to make atonement for your souls; for it is the blood that makes atonement for the soul.’
The blood carries water and nourishment to every cell, maintains the body’s temperature, and removes the waste material of the body’s cells. The blood also carries oxygen from the lungs throughout the body. In 1616, William Harvey discovered that blood circulation is the key factor in physical life—confirming what the Bible revealed 3,000 years earlier.
The Bible describes the suspension of the Earth in space. Something not discovered historically til much later.
Job 26:7
He stretches out the north over empty space;
He hangs the earth on nothing.

@bethyboo The book of Leviticus (written prior to 1400 BC) describes the value of blood. Leviticus 17:11 ‘For the life of...

The 4 humors were very common in that era's medicine, which is quite obviously what it's referring to. Not discovered maybe, but always believed. What this passage references is actually meant as a metaphor, as most scholars will inform you, it means that there is nothing but the Earth, Heaven, and Hell. Try again.

@Kyle33860 The 4 humors were very common in that era's medicine, which is quite obviously what it's referring to. Not...

You are saying the four humors were popular when the Bible was written? That is simply not true. I have taken theology classes and most scholars believe this to be a prophesy. not a metaphor. Don't make things up. The Bible specifies that there is more than Heaven, Hell, and Earth. It talks of stars, the sun, and the moon. The Bible frequently refers to the great number of stars in the heavens.
Genesis 22:17
Blessing I will bless you, and multiplying I will multiply your descendants as the stars of the heaven and as the sand which is on the seashore; and your descendants shall possess the gate of their enemies.
Even today, scientists admit that they do not know how many stars there are. Only about 3,000 can be seen with the naked eye. We have seen estimates of 1021 stars—which is a lot of stars (The number of grains of sand on the earth’s seashores is estimated to be 1025. As scientists discover more stars, wouldn’t it be interesting to discover that these two numbers match?)
You said try again...

@bethyboo You are saying the four humors were popular when the Bible was written? That is simply not true. I have taken...

Look, I'm not really that interested in continuing an argument with a belligerent zealot anymore, so I'll end with this: You have just proven that you are an invalid source of information. You'll ask how, simple: You're comment about the humors, which were popular since Ancient Greece up until about Phineas Gage's time. Now this is just one piece of information, but it shows that you are not at all well-versed in the subject matter. Also, you can throw credentials at me all you want, but you're understanding of your own religion is laughable at best. Maybe if you studied religion the way I do you would be a Humanist too, hmm?

@Kyle33860 Look, I'm not really that interested in continuing an argument with a belligerent zealot anymore, so I'll end with...

You say you are done arguing, continue arguing, and call me belligerent? Calling me a zealot is a compliment. I feel I have defended myself and my religion just fine and have proven my understanding undoubtedly. I have also shown that I have studied religion. If the way you study religion has made you as belligerent as you are, I don't want to study the way you do. I am truly sorry you feel the way you do.

@bethyboo You say you are done arguing, continue arguing, and call me belligerent? Calling me a zealot is a compliment. I...

It was a closing, your debating skills must be somewhat rusty. I must remind you that I have in no way shown your aggresiveness, and I don't want your false pity, I am much happier now than I ever was as a Christian.

@580845

Thats not technically proof. Miraculous events occur in the medical field with or without prayer.

@580878

How do I know events didn't occur from prayer? I had a three inch hole in my colon, and I was put on mega doses of antibiotics in order to prep me for surgery. The day the surgery wouldve happened they checked me, and the hole had healed leaving only scar tissue. I never prayed, and I was unable to inform anyone of my injury due to being bedridden and nearly comatose. No prayer, just the human body healing.

@580923

If that was It's reasoning for "saving" me, why did it let me get to such a state? The medical bills screwed up my college for a year, hindering me greatly.

@580950

My life didn't change at all. I still love my parents just as much, enjoy my times with my friends just as much, and try to enjoy life as much as I did before. I have pretty much the exact same outlook as before it, save for my new job that I don't hate.

@580975

Again you're making an assumption about me, and you know nothing about me. If nearly dying didn't cause a change in my outlook, I don't think many things can.

@581009

You need to learn proper grammar. I'm not a bastard as I was conceived and born within wedlock. Perhaps it's possible that I am already greatful for my life. There are of course certain things I have changed, like my diet to avoid a repeat, but I still love my life.

@580845

i saw i video on this. if one out of so many survive and everyone prayers for them , then some one is going to survive and people think its because of the prayers. for example lets say 1 out of 10 survive a type of cancer. if all ten people are prayed for, then someone who was prayed for lived

@580907

Your God, who is supposedly all powerful and all knowing, "can't save them all"? That seems like a logic hole. No, that IS a logic hole.

@580932

More people like me would likely believe if that were the case. And people ask for things anyway, whether they think they're likely to get it or not.

@580960

First off, learn to spell "pray". Secondly, they wouldn't know all that they asked for would be gained. I never said all prayers would be answered, just those for life. You're putting words into my mouth.

@581032

No way. Prayers to save the life o a young person dying painfully, a husband with young children, a good person dying without need. Those are heard of regularly. I rarely hear of prayers for the elderly to not die, but I always hear prayers that they go peacefully.

@581090

I never said anything about if they made us never die. You're taking the debate point to an utter extreme in an attempt to be right, and in doing so are changing the argument completely.

@580907

if god has reasons behind every life he saves why does he need people to pray for it?

@580940

but god shouldnt need people to pray to know how many care about the person, he's "all knowing"

@581002

Hey retard why don't you learn how to spell "pray", before you try to prove some bullshit. Religion is a safety net for those who can't think for themselves. You wouldn't dare question what some people wrote in a book thousands of years ago. People aren't smart enough to figure out life, so they need a book to teach them how to be a normal member of society and then they put all the credit to a long manual on how to be a good person and believe the fairytales incorporated in it that are only in there to make it easier for dumb people to understand the teachings.

@581002

Just saying here, it's great that you believe in prayer and all, but you should have faith that your God can make the right decisions without the need of people persuading Him.

It's all about faith. If you believe He is all powerful, and all knowing, then you should trust Him to make the right decisions, you don't need to ask him over and over. He already knows.

If you don't believe that, then you're not really that Christian :/

Also, as for where I stand, I don't care if God is real or not, I'm going to be a good person regardless (at least, I'll try, I know I'm not most of the time. Especially when it comes to my sister lol) Like seriously, let's just cross that bridge when we get there.

@582167

No they're not. Just like you would say" We're not shoving Christianity down people's throats, we're just telling them of a loving God". Atheists are somewhat the same. They say what they believe.
They can't be the ones shoving stuff down your throat when you are the one who continues to read their replies and egg them on.

@833388

I'm not late.
No one is ever late whne they want to express their opinions.
Sighs.. Unless you don't want anyone to question what you say

"So if the didn't want to hear it, just don't reply to me."

Funny. I could say the same thing about your "they're shoving Atheism down my throat and it bothers me"

@580845

The point of the post was not to say that prayer is a complete waste of time but that people who pray for things instead of working for them don't accomplish anything.

Depends what type of work.

One time, I had tumors all over my body and they were malignant. The next day they were all removed in a split second amazing. Prayer works!...

I feel sooo sorry for the people who don't believe in prayer or in God.. i mean, what is the point of living if you don't? just to take up space in this world? we were born to serve God and praise him!

Sometimes the hands are doing The Lord's work.

@581714

Hello again Inigo Montoya.

@585149

I was referring to your previous comments. Don't worry, Inigo Montoya's got nothing on you.

@581714

How did you get the smiley face?

@fangirl12 Sometimes the hands are doing The Lord's work.

God is for the gullible. There's no such thing, sorry, but people really need to get over it.

@God is for the gullible. There's no such thing, sorry, but people really need to get over it.

Tough crap; you can't force people into atheism. Likewise, you can't force people into faith.

@bethyboo If God doesn't exist, then how did we come to be?

Have you ever heard of the big bang theory? And we are homo sapien sapien today because we evolved not because "God" formed together a lump of clay on the ground and breathed into its nostrils.

@Have you ever heard of the big bang theory? And we are homo sapien sapien today because we evolved not because...

The Big Bang Theory is as likely as throwing a puzzle up in the air and having all the pieces land to form the picture. Science says that, not religion. Do you really think that will ever happen? If you do, then you are the gullible one.

@582177

You spelled Jesus wrong. Impressive.

@Sometimes the Lord doesn't exsist.

How can God exist one time, and not another? God always exists.