+600

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious. amirite?

Gavins avatar
63 78
The voters have decided that Gavin is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I see someone gets their philosophies from The Joker.

There is no evidence for the value of human life because value is emotional.

FALSE.

Black bears.

@FALSE. Black bears.

Well that's debatable. There are basically two schools of thought.

You can't objectively give life the quality of being serious or not serious because interpretations of life are entirely subjective.

Death.

@chiddybang Death.

Even death can be entertaining. Ever watch 1000 Ways to Die?

DavidSedanos avatar DavidSedano Yeah You Are +30Reply
@chiddybang Death.

he specifically said life. death is not life its the opposite

Dancing though life!

runnerdudes avatar runnerdude Yeah You Are +3Reply

Or that it has a purpose. Philosophically anyways.

DavidSedanos avatar DavidSedano Yeah You Are +3Reply

THIS IS WHY I WAS HAPPY! Fuck. Now I just have to get back into this mindset.

Brettward95s avatar Brettward95 Yeah You Are +3Reply
@1663979

And he invented the internet

Depends what you mean by serious, I guess. I think life is something that demands careful thought and application. Whether or not life is 'serious' should be a process of thought, not of evidence.

The mere fact that you will die shows life should be taken seriously.
But not in the sense you're thinking of, life should be seriously appreciated. Because once your dead, that's it, you're done.

Then, there is no evidence that life is a joke, either. Life is entirely what an individual living it sees it as. If I see life as serious, then it is serious to me. If I see life as a joke, then it becomes one. Personally, from an ecological standpoint, I would say life is serious: Eat or be eaten, so that you or another organism can live to reproduce. Of course stupid stuff happens, but so do a lot of serious things. it is disputable what counts as "evidence."

This POTD is a thought-provoker. Nice.

@1663946

its hard to prove a negative

@MartellusBoss Not if you use indirect proof.

Someone's been taking geometry, I see...

@Someone's been taking geometry, I see...

More like geometry's been taking me... to school that is.

Too much?

@1664325

Ooooo, Anthony. You gon' start a flame war up in heeeere.

What is the point of human life? IMO, it's to find your ultimate happiness. But realistically, the only point of living is to produce offspring....which isn't even a proper reason at all.

@1664326

I suppose that's exactly what I mean.... As long as there's some sort of boundary between having fun and hurting other people or things. I mean someone could really enjoy like kicking puppies or something....

This post is for amateur nihilists.

Life is just one big joke being played on YOU! ha. ha. ha. Got you.

Well let's ponder this: If there was no life, then we wouldn't be talking about it.

@NerdyBlonde Well let's ponder this: If there was no life, then we wouldn't be talking about it.

This isn't relevant to wether life is serious or not. We've established it exists because we're alive.

Simply talking about something doesn't make it serious. You obviously haven't heard the conversations I have with friends.

Brettward95s avatar Brettward95 Yeah You Are +1Reply

life is better without priorities.

danilols avatar danilol Yeah You Are +1Reply

Knock knock
Who's there?
Life

There's your evidence y smilie

Favvkess avatar Favvkes Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1664289

I don't like that joke.

HMDuckys avatar HMDucky Yeah You Are +8Reply
@1664289

So what you're saying is that life is awesome?

Brettward95s avatar Brettward95 Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1663939

JERK! I know what you mean by that!

boxtops avatar boxtop No Way +41Reply

life has a serious purpose.

Pugs avatar Pug No Way -1Reply

What man-kind has done to Life, is make it serious. Take away money, religion, and hierarchy and life would be much less serious.
But there is really no way of knowing for sure...

Gavins avatar Gavin Yeah You Are -1Reply
@Gavin What man-kind has done to Life, is make it serious. Take away money, religion, and hierarchy and life would be much...

Wouldn't life be more serious under those circumstances? Taking away the building blocks of society would make life a constant struggle for survival which is probably a lot more serious than our current constructs.

@1663998

His theory of everything wasn't to answer everything in the universe. It was to find a universal equation to unify general relativity and quantum mechanics or some shit. He was a physics trying to figure out the math behind the universe, not a philosopher.

Take it seriously anyways cause you're the one privileges sperm who made it to the egg...not.

Oh nothing except for disease, death, world hunger, wars, child abuse, animal abuse... need I go on?

@KickAss Oh nothing except for disease, death, world hunger, wars, child abuse, animal abuse... need I go on?

Those are sad aspects that require serious attention. However it isn't the same thing as the concept of life itself being serious.

Montanas avatar Montana Yeah You Are +51Reply
@Montana Those are sad aspects that require serious attention. However it isn't the same thing as the concept of life itself...

Yes, but these things are constantly happening, you could even go as far to say as a series of serious things happening... so if a lot of the aspects of life are serious, then isn't it safe to assume that life in general is a serious matter?

@KickAss Yes, but these things are constantly happening, you could even go as far to say as a series of serious things...

No. There are those who take life seriously, and there are those who don't. Either way you look at it, you'll face serious issues; it's the way you deal with them that defines you.

Montanas avatar Montana Yeah You Are +17Reply

You're confusing what humans percieve as serious events, with what would actually be considered serious to a neutral observer

Sonofarifles avatar Sonofarifle Yeah You Are +5Reply
@KickAss Answer the question...

I'll use a comparison, if you had to describe the life of an ant, you most likely wouldn't describe it as serious. A giant alien probably wouldn't describe human life as serious. Perspective probably would have been a better word to use than neutral.

Sonofarifles avatar Sonofarifle Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Sonofarifle I'll use a comparison, if you had to describe the life of an ant, you most likely wouldn't describe it as serious...

Why does a completely neutered third party have a say in another person's life?

And I would describe an ant's life as serious, didn't you see Antz? They're working all the time and if not working then dying... Ants are one of the most work intensive insects. You should have chosen a pig, because the size of the third party is completely irrelevant, I do understand what you are saying, I just don't think that a alien party really has any business telling you what your life is.

Now let ME tell YOU a little story of my own, let's say you know an idiot, complete moron, that keeps making the dumbest mistakes (to you) and has a miserable life because of it. You, as the smarter sentient being, tells him that he is a joke and that he is the cause of his own problems and yaddy yaddy yadda. Is it your place to cast judgement on this poor individual? I think not, just like a smarter person wouldn't cast judgement upon you. It's your life to live as you will.

@KickAss Why does a completely neutered third party have a say in another person's life? And I would describe an ant's life...

I'm arguing that the concept of life, when viewed as a hole, appears to have no meaning or seriousness to it. Scientifically, life just groups of atoms that are able to make copies of themselves, and everything it does is to allow it to reproduce. Sure glucose and fats and amino acids are special/ different when compared to something like sodium hydroxide or water, but I wouldn't call them more serious.

Sonofarifles avatar Sonofarifle Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Sonofarifle I'm arguing that the concept of life, when viewed as a hole, appears to have no meaning or seriousness to it...

Yes, but that is completely irrelevant... go up to a guy who is starving and explain to him why his problem isn't serious, because it's just a series of atoms colliding, give him a weapon and stand between him and his meal, I'm almost positive that guy will hurt you to get to his meal, then listen to your whole spiel about how life isn't actually serious (as you lay there dying)... when you're suffering, science doesn't matter.

Also, using your logic, what's to say life isn't serious? Using your logic, seriousness doesn't even exist. So if it doesn't exist, then how can you argue it's not or it is what never was?

@KickAss Yes, but that is completely irrelevant... go up to a guy who is starving and explain to him why his problem isn't...

Seriousness does exist because it is something we experience as a result of the nerves within our brain interacting with each other chemically. These chemical reactions are what definescratch thatARE your thinking. You're looking at seriousness on the individual scale, and obviously those who are caught in a situation where they are living in poor conditions will take their conditions seriously. But if you take a step back, look at the the entire course of human civilization, every human to have lived on this planet, even every animal, insect, bacteria, plant, etc., everything is insignificant. Who is to say that any impact that any of the creatures that have ever lived on earth will amount to anything finite? For all we know, time is infinite, at least on the universal scale (disregarding any beliefs in Big Rip or similar theories), and the sun will go supernova eventually, turning every invention, idea, object, human, and ANYTHING ELSE to have ever existed in the solar system into just another piece of the black hole left in the wake. Thus, life is not significant. Life is not serious. You die. That's it. Sorry.

@Friday_Night_Lights Seriousness does exist because it is something we experience as a result of the nerves within our brain interacting...

What are you apologizing for? Because you think you won the argument?

Your example is just like the one about ants... it's not our place to say, "Oh they don't live serious lives." Who is this third party that has such authority over everyone? God? Reality is perception and unless you're about to admit to me that there is a perceiving being outside of this universe that is watching us, then you really have no basis for your whole spiel.

Also who says significance and seriousness go hand in hand? Whoever is perceiving the event of things may not notice us, but if S/He did see us, then S/He might think our lives are serious ones, just like we can study an ant's life and realize it's a serious one.

@KickAss What are you apologizing for? Because you think you won the argument? Your example is just like the one about...

Indeed. Unless you believe in a objective authority who is actually capable of discerning whether or not life is serious, it's going to be personal, and at that level of individual truth where truth and subjectivity amount to the same thing, seriousness (and significance) come down to what you believe, not on evidence.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/serious?s=t
Number 5 and 8: weighty or important; that which is of importance, grave, or critical

I was apologizing for bursting any bubble that might exist regarding your believe in some form of an afterlife, but I assume you are not religious? I suppose I was looking at it more in terms of significance than seriousness, though the two dictionary definitions given in the link validate my argument in terms of seriousness to some degree. Personally, I do not believe there is some perceiving being outside of the universe, but that does not mean it is impossible for us to take a step back and take a look at the big picture. Sure, you may experience serious events throughout your lifetime, but that's only because you take life seriously. If you don't, then you won't experience serious events. Thinking about the billions of years that the earth has been in existence and the five billion or so years that it has left (estimate), your life is just a joke in the end due to the simple fact that you thought it was serious. There really is nothing left to say on this; I don't think this is an argument that can be mediated or resolved.