+1,329

If it's disrespectful to build a Mosque near Ground Zero because the terrorists were Muslims, then it should be equally disrespectful to build a Boy Scout Headquarters there because the terrorists were male. amirite?

fEMMAnists avatar
68 360
The voters have decided that fEMMAnist is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I'm going to burn Boy Scout handbooks to protest!

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist Yeah You Are +98Reply
@Exact same thing I was thinking.

ok then why didn't you post it first?

Rosss avatar Ross Yeah You Are +5Reply

what about the strip clubs next to ground zero, aren't those offensive

Charles_E_Cheeses avatar Charles_E_Cheese Yeah You Are +24Reply
@Charles_E_Cheese what about the strip clubs next to ground zero, aren't those offensive

No, they're not nearly as offensive. The terrorists didn't crash into the towers in the name of stripper poles, did they?

@bigmac14 No, they're not nearly as offensive. The terrorists didn't crash into the towers in the name of stripper poles...

They crashed into the towers because they were a crazy group of people who hated the whole western world. They didn't crash because their faith condones act of violence like that. The KKK kills people in the name of patriotism and Jesus but really their beliefs have nothing to do with either.

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist Yeah You Are +14Reply

Well, isn't it true some muslism men believe when they die, they'll go to heaven with a bunch of virgins? I think they DID do it in the name of strippers!

oh my. let me repeat myself. the towers were crashed into in the name of allah, not strippers

@just no

(Just no): wow. good argument

@pantherfanatic (Just no): wow. good argument

your argument wasn't any better

Charles_E_Cheeses avatar Charles_E_Cheese Yeah You Are +19Reply
@Charles_E_Cheese your argument wasn't any better

haha. all of you are liberal hippie teenagers. you'll come around eventually.

@pantherfanatic haha. all of you are liberal hippie teenagers. you'll come around eventually.

liberal hippie teenagers? Try open minded peopple who know what is going on in the world, and accept other people views, you close minded ass backwards idiot.

loveyoualattexxs avatar loveyoualattexx Yeah You Are +32Reply
@loveyoualattexx liberal hippie teenagers? Try open minded peopple who know what is going on in the world, and accept other people...

Sorry to disagree with you again, but I consider myself a conservative, and I think I'm pretty open-minded. . .
But alas, there are douche bags in every group.

Katffros avatar Katffro No Way -10Reply
@Katffro Sorry to disagree with you again, but I consider myself a conservative, and I think I'm pretty open-minded. . . But...

I didn't say you weren't, i believe there is both open minded and close minded liberals and conservatives. I'm just saying that to the person who said "hippie liberal teenagers" that maybe having an open mind and a good outlook on life will get us farther than being a bitter old man.

loveyoualattexxs avatar loveyoualattexx Yeah You Are +7Reply

the center is being built in the name of religious tolerance. if people are so offended by a religion that was not truly part of what happened on 9/11 - and if you believe it was then you could say the oklahoma city bombing is representative of Christianity - then the problem is not with sensitivity, but with acceptance of someone else's beliefs that might be different from your own. not building the center because of the intolerant outcries would be more disrespectful to those who died because it shows how far we HAVEN'T come as a country.

@596433

A community center is not a degrading institution. It is a place of celebration, prayer, and fellowship. If they wanted to put a sex toy shop next to Ground Zero, they might have a point.

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist Yeah You Are +9Reply
@599049

I completely agree. Also, like I said above, just because a group of terroristic people are Muslim doesn't mean that the whole Muslim community is terroristic. Therefore, they should not be discriminated. And for everyone else opposed to the mosque, please read the First Amendment of the Constitution.

Sahils avatar Sahil Yeah You Are +7Reply
@pantherfanatic oh my. let me repeat myself. the towers were crashed into in the name of allah, not strippers

Just to clarify, Allah is the Arabic word for God. When Christians or Jews pray in Arabic they use the word Allah to refer to God. Using this logic, you would be opposed to the building of a Church or Synagogue near ground zero because the terrorists killed in the name of God.

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist Yeah You Are +11Reply
@twisted_memories It's true, Muslims, Jews, and Christians all pray to the exact same God!

Not necessarily. Each religion interprets it differently. If it were all the exact same, there would be no need for separate religions, right?

According to your logic, no Churches should be built in Germany because Jews were killed in the name of Christ. And alot more people died then.

Jews, Christians and Muslims all worship the same God.To crash into the towers for Allah is to crash into the towers for God.

My vote is to build an airport at ground zero.

@596646

This way we can reduce them back to car bombs. Too far?

@596646

YOU MADE MY DAY! With that joke about muslims flying into it...wow, i haven't laughed so much in ages! Thank you for highlighting the ridiculousness of the argument that a mosque is offensive! I told my family the joke and they almost died laughing too! Cannot wait to get to school to tell all my friends! You sir/lady are officially my hero for today :D

@741977

when someone said that they should build an airport and then you said that then muslims would fly into it :P

@742691

no, no sarcasm! Everyone at school had a good chuckle too :)

Just not like all teenagers are idiotic douchebags, and just like not all Americans are obese, not all Muslims are terrorists. The majority should not be punished for the actions of the minority.

That aside, I hope they don't build the Islamic Center. No, I do support it fully, it's just that a lot of Americans don't. That means that it will be attacked, and everything will be a waste. I wish it wouldn't be that way, but I'm afraid that that's what's going to happen. :(

@Ezio Just not like all teenagers are idiotic douchebags, and just like not all Americans are obese, not all Muslims are...

nobody's gonna attack it. but it makes Muslims look terrible and it offends americans. who wins?

@pantherfanatic nobody's gonna attack it. but it makes Muslims look terrible and it offends americans. who wins?

I wish I could find the news article to prove my point, but I shall go based on what I know about the event.

Apparently, there was a Mosque being built somewhere in the US. (Southern, Florida, I believe.) The citizens of the town protested and several days later, there was a fire on the construction site, which is believed to be arson.

If they burned a Mosque in an "unimportant" (In relation to Ground Zero and NYC) area, just imagine the reactions for the "Ground Zero Mosque."

@Ezio I wish I could find the news article to prove my point, but I shall go based on what I know about the event...

We can't stop doing the right thing just because we're afraid of other people's reactions. Where would we be then? Think of the Civil Rights Movement. What if black folks decided they didn't want to march or protest after all because the knew they were going to be attacked. The country would be a lot different. The community center should be built. If it's burnt down, it only paints those people in a bad light. We build another. And another. Until people accept we aren't going anywhere.

okay, maybe some idiot would try to burn it down. but why taunt America like that? nobody wins! not Muslims, not Christians, and certainly not families of 9/11 victims

@pantherfanatic okay, maybe some idiot would try to burn it down. but why taunt America like that? nobody wins! not Muslims, not...

How taunt America? Because Muslims want a place to worship suddenly means they're taunting America? Research some. The COMMUNITY CENTER is two blocks away. That's one tenth of a mile. Like I've said about 5 times this post, there is freedom of religion in America. Just because America is blinded because of 'Osama' or 'Hussein,' doesn't mean the whole religion is bad. I have friends who are Muslim. They have not, once, tried to bring a bomb to school, or scream Allah. They worship, but they worship quietly.

It'd be funny if they built a mosque and my face was on it cause I'm a transgendered prostitute.

• It's not even a mosque. It's a Muslim activity center.
  • The guy who's in charge of the building of the activity center is one of the people who aided in the rescuing of 9/11 victims.
  • The mosque isn't ON Ground Zero. It's a couple blocks away, which in New York City, a couple blocks can make a huge difference.
eldoritos avatar eldorito Yeah You Are +13Reply

Nearly one person in all religions have killed someone.
Let's say a Christian is angry at someone and kills every one in a building.

It is disrespectful to put a church near that building because someone from that religion killed them.
BS.

I am not offended in the least bit that they are building a mosque. Not one bit. Its a place of worship, not a bomb factory. Reeeelax.

loveyoualattexxs avatar loveyoualattexx Yeah You Are +9Reply
@loveyoualattexx I am not offended in the least bit that they are building a mosque. Not one bit. Its a place of worship, not a bomb...

I'm not trying to start an argument here, but telling people to relax really doesn't help. If anything, it makes people angrier :P

@Katffro I'm not trying to start an argument here, but telling people to relax really doesn't help. If anything, it makes...

i know, i know that no one will relax. I understand completely where everyone is coming from. but at the same time, shouldn't america try to build ourselves up and make our country better after 9/11? by being afraid of all muslims and denying them rights, it doesn't stop the fact that 9/11 happened. I understand tis a sore spot for most americans, trust me i know. But at the same time, shouldn't we be trying to stop segregation and start equal rights for all? I don't see how a mosque = world war 3.

loveyoualattexxs avatar loveyoualattexx Yeah You Are +6Reply

it's not equally disrespectful because the terrorists did it in the name of their religion. They didn't blow things up in the name of boy scouts.

I am merely pointing that out, I still agree with the fact that preventing them from building a mosque isn't fair. :)

@anything_chocolate it's not equally disrespectful because the terrorists did it in the name of their religion. They didn't blow things...

But there actions had nothing to do with their religion. All the teachings of Islam are against pointless act of mass violence. They had no more connection to the Islam faith as the KKK does to Christianity.

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist Yeah You Are +2Reply
@fEMMAnist But there actions had nothing to do with their religion. All the teachings of Islam are against pointless act of...

No. Actually, they are Muslim, and they did it for Islam. You're right about the fact that the Qu'ran (however you spell it) is peaceful; it is. The extremists merely interpret it differently.
I'm not just pulling this out of nowhere, I honestly did a research paper on it.

@anything_chocolate No. Actually, they are Muslim, and they did it for Islam. You're right about the fact that the Qu'ran (however you...

They said they did it in the name of Islam, but what they did went against every facet of Islamic teachings so it really had no connection to the belief. Like I said, the terrorists justified their actions with misinterpreted religious teachings just like the KKK. The main conflict had nothing to do with religion at all religion was used to justify it.

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist Yeah You Are 0Reply
@fEMMAnist They said they did it in the name of Islam, but what they did went against every facet of Islamic teachings so it...

IT DOESN'T MATTER. The boy scout thing is completely irrelevant and untrue, and this debate is old so im not going to argue with you anymore.

@741686

why are you assuming I'm "blind and ignorant"? I don't believe I ever said anything about supporting the KKK, Hitler, or other extremist Christians, nor did I say that Christianity is a perfect religion with perfect followers. The extremists of EVERY religion think that they're doing what is right based on their interpretation. I do not hate Islam, I wasn't against the mosque. I'm against this post. so calm your fucking balls.

It went against everything most Muslims believe, but doing that is what extremist Muslims believe. Just because they're both Muslim doesn't mean they interpret the scripture the same way. I completely agree with Anything_Chocolate: A Boy Scout thing is not the same because being male had nothing to do with the motivation for the attacks. Being Muslim and their religious beliefs did. However, there should still be a Muslim community center built 2 blocks away from Ground Zero.

Yeah, they say they did it in the name of Islam, too bad terrorism has nothing to do with their religion. They did it in the name of their corrupt leader who took advantage of a loophole in the faith, that had nothing to do with terrorism

HopeImrites avatar HopeImrite Yeah You Are +9Reply

1. Terrorists are not considered Muslim by Muslims because their actions are not acceptable.
2. The people who don't live in NYC obviously don't realize a couple of blocks is a pretty significant distance. I go to school about a quarter mile from Ground Zero, but it's not like we make a big deal of it.
3. About the 2nd half of #2, do you hillbillies/conservatives/close-minded people think that Muslim students shouldn't be allowed in my school because "it disrespects those who lost their lives"?
4. WTF the strip club is always distributing flyers in my area. My eyes are not virgin anymore.
5. OP makes sense. Sorry for my randomness.

We debated this in debate club.
One of my friends brought up an excellent point. The Muslim center would be a terrorist spot. There are extremists against it that would bomb it, or attack the people that go to it. It's extremely dangerous for the people who would use it, so there would have to be some sort of protection. If the police guard it, it means tax dollars are going to it.

@Katffro We debated this in debate club. One of my friends brought up an excellent point. The Muslim center would be a...

I wouldn't call that an "excellent" point so much as a "shallow and alarmist" point.

SalientKs avatar SalientK Yeah You Are +9Reply
@SalientK I wouldn't call that an "excellent" point so much as a "shallow and alarmist" point.

How is it shallow and alarmist?
People would be in danger. It would be a terrorist spot, and hard-earned money would have to go to protect it. There should be a separation of religion and state, but government money would indirectly be going to a certain religion. If it was to be moved a few blocks, people would be safe, and people would be happy.

@Katffro How is it shallow and alarmist? People would be in danger. It would be a terrorist spot, and hard-earned money...

How is it a danger? Mosques are houses of God and EXTREMELY important to Muslims. You have to take your shoes off when you enter one. Yes, it's THAT respected. Hell, if they build a mosque there they might even PLEASE the terrorists, even keeping them away from that area. Don't disagree with me, I lived in a Muslim country for years. I know my stuff.

thePretenders avatar thePretender Yeah You Are +5Reply
@thePretender How is it a danger? Mosques are houses of God and EXTREMELY important to Muslims. You have to take your shoes off...

It's dangerous for the people that GO TO IT. There are crazy people out there. Someone against the mosque would probably bomb it. That's endangering the people that go to it. How does what you said relate to what I did? It kind of seems unrelated.
Also, we shouldn't have to "please the terrorists".

@Katffro It's dangerous for the people that GO TO IT. There are crazy people out there. Someone against the mosque would...

It could very well be dangerous, but don't you think the builders already knew the danger it posed and would have thought about it ahead of time? It must be heavily guarded, why wouldn't it be, like you said, people who are upset by this idea probably already constructed some sort of plot to destroy it. Oh, and also I got a bit excited when I saw a red comment without a million green comments bashing the red commenter for being a racist, so I got ahead of myself and misread your post. I thought you meant ''extremists'' as in the terrorists who were looking into bombing this Mosque. I do apologize.

thePretenders avatar thePretender Yeah You Are +8Reply
@thePretender It could very well be dangerous, but don't you think the builders already knew the danger it posed and would have...

They might or might not have, but even if they have, the government would probably want someone to guard it anyway. Governments [from both sides of the spectrum] tend to want stuff that is unnecessary if they think it's necessary.

We could stop every project in the world on the grounds that "there are crazy people out there who might not like what we're doing."

SalientKs avatar SalientK Yeah You Are +5Reply
@SalientK We could stop every project in the world on the grounds that "there are crazy people out there who might not like...

But those projects weren't advertised across the nation for months. This one caused a LOT of controversy.

@Katffro But those projects weren't advertised across the nation for months. This one caused a LOT of controversy.

It wasn't advertised by them, it was blown out of proportion by the bullshit media in this country.

SalientKs avatar SalientK Yeah You Are +2Reply

There's crazy people everywhere who hate people of all sorts of religions. Try being Catholic in a primarily Southern Baptist area. They hate you for that.

eldoritos avatar eldorito Yeah You Are +4Reply

Bahahahaha! It wouldn't be a terrorist point, because it's not a Muslim center! Have you no mind at all? It's a community center for everyone. Just because it has a mosque doesn't mean it's a Muslim center. Like someone said before, just because there's a chapel in a hospital, does it make it a Church, or a Christian center? Think before you type.

Sahils avatar Sahil Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Sahil Bahahahaha! It wouldn't be a terrorist point, because it's not a Muslim center! Have you no mind at all? It's a...

It would be a terrorist point. People have very strong opinions about it. I guarantee, someone right now is furious and probably slightly insane, and is coming up with a plan to destroy it. Just because something isn't 100% Islam, doesn't mean people won't interpret it as so.
BAHAHAHAHA. Think before you type ;)

@Katffro It would be a terrorist point. People have very strong opinions about it. I guarantee, someone right now is...

People have very strong opinions about everything. Some people get in fights over stuff as trivial as sports games. Why should we give special protection to religions?

eldoritos avatar eldorito Yeah You Are +2Reply

@741370 (Katffro): I think Katffro means a terrorist point as in people will attack it because they disagree. She said nothing about Muslim terrorists.

@o__________o @741370 (Katffro): I think Katffro means a terrorist point as in people will attack it because they disagree. She...

Oh ok. Thanks for clarifying :P. I thought she meant FOR terrorists. In that case, people probably will. :/

Sahils avatar Sahil Yeah You Are 0Reply

If you can't build a mosque by Ground Zero, you can't build a Catholic church by a playground.

Anyway, I'd say go for it. If the mosque was built, that would be a symbol of tolerance. It would say that we as Americans aren't so offended that we take away the rights of a group just because some of the extremists in it committed a vile act. IMO it seems that the terrorists are a bit brainwashed, but that's not the fault of the religion. Islam is a peaceful religion at heart; it's just that it can be twisted around by an influential leader to be violent. I'm sure the same could be done to Christianity: someone interprets a Bible verse as a cue to enact terror upon a group for some reason, probably to avenge all the Christians that were persecuted over the millennia, and BAM, we have Christian terrorist groups. It's the influence of leaders that cause things to be corrupt.

I'm not a political, religious, wise, experienced, or worldly individual; this is only my theory. I won't stick to the above beliefs forever, but for now that's what makes sense to me.

Gaussians avatar Gaussian Yeah You Are +6Reply
@twisted_memories The KKK does their "work" in the name of Christianity.

Which makes them Christian EXTREMISTS. Just as the Muslims who attacked the Trade Towers were Muslim extremists.

I get that you're trying to make a comparison, but you're doing the same thing that overtly conservative Americans do; you're lumping them into one category.

@Which makes them Christian EXTREMISTS. Just as the Muslims who attacked the Trade Towers were Muslim extremists...

What? How? Gaussian said that Christianity could be twisted by extremists, and I simply pointed out that it IS being twisted by extremists.

IMO this is like the whole pitbull thing a while back, where a couple pitbulls were trained to attack people and they did, and people were making a huge stink about it saying all pitbulls should have muzzles on them, etc. Just because of a couple bad people training their dogs to be bad, almost everyone who owned a pitbull was effected in some way, like my Uncle, who had to put down his pitbull just because of it's breed. And nearly everyone agreed that that was stupid. Thats just like the building a Mosque problem, just because a couple people were trained and brainwashed to do something evil doesn't mean everyone that's Muslim should be punished.

patrickmajors avatar patrickmajor Yeah You Are +6Reply

I say we build a church right next to the mosque... and crash an airplane right into both of them. Then repeat this process.
Sooner or later, almost 90% of New York is not allowed to be built a church/mosque/buddhist temple/etc. on.
MY STATEMENT+DO EEETTTT NAO = ???? PROFITZ

Serious trolling going on here. =/

Gaussians avatar Gaussian Yeah You Are +5Reply
@Gaussian Serious trolling going on here. =/

jenny swanson come over to justin angeles house!!

@Gaussian Mmkay. :D

yes!!! at justin angeles house if justin angeles is a good best friend student to jenny swanson!

The man who owns the property where the mosque was planned owned that property for many years. To build a mosque costs millions of dollars more then this man had thats why it was put off for so long. It was planned to be a mosque before he even bought it. As soon as he got the money to build it everyone complained. This man payed several million dollars for a mosque, out of private funds. When a Catholic Church/ Jewish Synagogue gets built the money is donated by the respective religion. This to be a privately built mosque for the public so he payed out of pocket for the property and the designs. He didn't plan the attack to happen and have his property so close to the remains.

I don't think a mosque should be built there. But I don't think a church should be built there either.

I read all these comments.......I'm surprised by how little so many people know! I know a ton of comments already have this, but reason list here:
1. I think the OP is trying to point out that the terrorists shouldn't represent Muslims anymore than they represent men. Because, sure, they claimed they did it in the name of Allah, but did the Qu'ran tell them to do it? Did their community tell them to do it? No, it was just a reason for them to kill Americans.
2. It's not ON Ground Zero, it's two blocks away. Which is very, very far.
3. It's not a frigging mosque. It's like a YMCA, with a space for Muslims to pray. 2 floors out of 13. The rest has a theater, stage, bookstore, auditorium, swimming pool, basketball courts...
4. Why they won't change spots? Because they're trying to make a positive statement about Muslims that nobody will listen to. They want to show people that Muslims want to be part of rebuilding the community, and that Muslims have been hurt by Muslim extremists too.

@Alyssa I read all these comments.......I'm surprised by how little so many people know! I know a ton of comments already...

Hence the 9/11 memorial. Did you guys know that there were Muslim prayer rooms INSIDE OF THE WORLD TRADE CENTER??
5. This spot has been used as a mosque for a couple of years now. Why are people kicking up a fuss about it now, especially when they're making it a community building?
6. More people in Manhattan SUPPORT this building.
7. I'm a Catholic myself, but has everybody forgotten the Crusades? I'm sure in Europe it's fine to build a church with no controversy.
8. Muslim faith is very similar to Catholic faith, besides how they worship and what they call their God. In fact, Muslims are probably more accepting of other religions than Catholics, they believe that as long as you stay true to your religion and worship one God, non-Muslims can go to heaven.

Agreed. You pretty much summarized this whole conversation into one post, and you did it brilliantly. Thanks :P.

@Sahil Agreed. You pretty much summarized this whole conversation into one post, and you did it brilliantly. Thanks :P.

Well, actually it was two posts >.< I had a lot of reasons, haha. Thanks, I want to be a lawyer, so...

Don't bug about the idiots on here. Your post was great.

FlyingGuineaPigs avatar FlyingGuineaPig Yeah You Are +3Reply

It's kind of sad how many people don't have an understanding of what they're arguing about. The extremist groups behind the 9/11 bombings misunderstood the concept of Jihad, or a holy struggle. It was intended to mean the internal struggle to hold on to your belief in Islam, but the extremists apparently believe it is a war against other religions, which is exactly what Islam doesn't believe in. So please don't argue about what you don't have facts about. I try to understand what I'm arguing about before joining a discussion like this, and I think there would be a few less people not knowing what they're saying and it would be a little less tedious scrolling through the comments for those who actually understand what they're talking about.

SpelingChampiens avatar SpelingChampien Yeah You Are +3Reply

Oh racists... Just let the Muslims do what they want in peace. If you really don't want there to be a mosque, you might as well find some slaves while you're fighting it. Then you can make them protest for you for FREE! Then you can use the space where the "mosque" would be, and use it as a nazi training camp.

the thing is, americans can't let this thing haunt them forever or they won't move forward! Yes it was a tragedy but london has had plenty of suicide bombers and do you see them fussing over a building? No. Where i live (south africa) there were hundreds of black people killed during apartheid, but do you see their families objecting to the voortrekker monument? No. And i'd say apartheid was a million times worse than one day of planes crashing into buildings. Our country and the british don't let these things get us down because at the end of the day, it's small fry! Staying stuck in the past and being full of hatred and prejudice gets a country nowhere! Yes, 9/11 was a terrible thing, but guess what-way worse things have happened! So although it's painful, it's time for american citizens to recognise the religious rights of other people and get over the fact that a community center, which happens to contain a mosque on one of its many floors, will be bu...

HopeImrites avatar HopeImrite Yeah You Are +2Reply

Let's all kiss a horse's ass. lol.

If the terrorists were Christian, and now they wanted to build a church near Ground Zero, I doubt there would be this much of a debate about it. I don't even think we'd HEAR about it, really.
But that's just my opinion.

@Jess_Doherty If the terrorists were Christian, and now they wanted to build a church near Ground Zero, I doubt there would be...

People have made this argument over and over when they compare the World Trade Center to the Oklahoma City bombings. The man was Christian, so people are always saying, "Oh, if someone wanted to build a church there, nobody would say anything."

The problem with that logic is that the 9/11 terrorists bombed in the name of Islam--that's the problem people have with the mosque. It celebrates the same religion (**not the same people: this is not to imply that all Muslims are terrorists) that prompted people to fly two planes into buildings and kill American civilians. Had they been Muslim but their motivations for bombing completely unrelated to their religion, nobody would have an acceptable reason for protesting the mosque. Had they been Christian AND bombing in the name of Christianity, of course people would be freaking out about somebody wanting to build a church. The same with Judaism and a synagogue.

Unoriginal price of shit.

I agree that it's ridiculous to say that building a mosque near Ground Zero is in no way disrespectful to anyone, but I need to make a point.

This isn't even a mosque being built. It is a community center, a children's community building. It is open for anyone of all ages with a basketball court, a cinema, bowling alley, etc. etc. It is going to provide for the whole community. It's basically a YMCA. It's just a community center, and it happens that Muslims are paying for it. It has been planned for fifteen years--before 9/11, and the land was donated.

Yeah, for sure. It's not even a mosque. It's a community center! Inside, they're going to have prayer centers for all the major religions (i.e., Christianity, Judaism, and Islam.) They'll also have a memorial for the victims and families of 9/11.
ANY Muslim will tell you that the extremists weren't actually Muslim. Islam is embarrassed and very upset that extremists gave them a bad name. Muslims and the extremists aren't even the same people.

And in my opinion, I don't blame them for being so upset with America when you think about the whole Israeli-Palestinian conflict. If we weren't funding Israel, it wouldn't even exist. We give them billions of dollars so they can buy our weapons and terrorize everyone. Israel stole that land from the Arabs with our help.
So how can we blame the Arab nations for hating us?

vondahls avatar vondahl Yeah You Are +2Reply
@vondahl Yeah, for sure. It's not even a mosque. It's a community center! Inside, they're going to have prayer centers for...

You're absolutely right, the conflict wouldn't exist. Neither would Israel though. They'd all be dead already... And technically, who's land was it first? The Jews had that land taken from them. Cute rant though!

@nevans7 You're absolutely right, the conflict wouldn't exist. Neither would Israel though. They'd all be dead already...

Oh, thank you for your condescending comment! Do you have any other intelligent remarks, or would you like to further split hairs?

vondahls avatar vondahl Yeah You Are 0Reply

This IS ALL YOUR OPINIONS. A COUPLE OF MUSLIMS WENT AND DID 9/11 NOT ALL OF THEM IF A BUNCH OF CHRISTIANS WENT AND BURNED A PLACE DOWN I DONT GO SAY ALL CHRISTIANS ARE TERRORISTS!! U GUYS NEED TO LOOK AT THE FACTS NOT YOUR RIDICULOUS OPINIONS...

omarion97s avatar omarion97 Yeah You Are +2Reply

HopeImrites avatar HopeImrite Yeah You Are +1Reply

Chill people. It's a joke.

omfg gtfo people that keep arguing about religion and crap.

@omfg gtfo people that keep arguing about religion and crap.

Sometimes discussions about religion are beneficial.

@Mondegreen Sometimes discussions about religion are beneficial.

and sometimes they aren't when theyre not on the subject of the post

@and sometimes they aren't when theyre not on the subject of the post

If you read the comments, they're not arguing about religion itself, "Your God is fake," kind of stuff. It's completely related to the post, they're arguing about the community center. And....I might be wrong, but isn't amirite? a place to debate your opinions? Just a thought.

@Alyssa If you read the comments, they're not arguing about religion itself, "Your God is fake," kind of stuff. It's...

i read them all, and a lot of them got off topic and started arguing about totally different things. and amirite isn't about DEBATING opinions, just expressing opinions.

Logic fail. Not that I disagree.

Preventing the building of the mosque is unconstitutional. It violates the first amendment, this shouldn't even be a controversial issue.

J_ZASs avatar J_ZAS Yeah You Are +1Reply
@J_ZAS Preventing the building of the mosque is unconstitutional. It violates the first amendment, this shouldn't even be...

Nobody ever questioned their right to build it. Anybody would agree that it was well within their constitutional rights to build the mosque wherever they wanted. However, what is questioned is how rightmorally and ethicallyit is to build it so near to a site, where many innocent American lives were lost, that was bombed in the name of that religion (regardless of the fact that not all Muslims are terrorists).

@Nobody ever questioned their right to build it. Anybody would agree that it was well within their constitutional...

If christians bombed the twin towers there would be no issue. Not letting them build the mosque is essentially saying that ALL muslims are extremists and terrorists.

J_ZASs avatar J_ZAS Yeah You Are 0Reply

The only thing offensive about the fact that they are going to build a Mosque there is that they are refusing to rebuild the Saint Nicholas Catholic Church that was already there before 9/11. If BOTH are built I would have no problem.
Oh yeah, and I wouldn't be surprised if the church in Southern Italy it was based on gets ticked off because they donated a lot of money to the building of that church. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes an international issue.

ps I'm not even catholic so don't start criticizing.

@The only thing offensive about the fact that they are going to build a Mosque there is that they are refusing to...

Just so you know: it's not a mosque; it's a community center. Its construction was planned before 9/11, as was the location.

Wow. I didnt even know there was a church that they are refusing to rebuild. If you dont mind, could you give me a link where I can read more about this?

rofll so true

I do kind of think they should pick another location for the mosque, but only because we all KNOW it's going to be vandalized.

haha so true
americans are so strange

danilols avatar danilol Yeah You Are +1Reply

They should not be building a mosque there; the only thing they should be building is a building to commemerate the lives lost in 9-11. It is offesive to build a mosque there- or anything really.

archangel101s avatar archangel101 Yeah You Are +1Reply

fine just 1 plane

@fine just 1 plane

into your house?
yeah, I'd agree with that location.

i gonna be criez now.

We're totally helping the cause by reacting to their methods of provocation. With 9/11, and now the follow up attack with stirring up the media and the citizens, they're getting what they want. They're trying to provoke us, and we're simply doing them a favor by reacting.

Mooses avatar Moose No Way 0Reply

I've been thinking this for so long. Not the whole boy scout thing, but the fact that the terrorists were also men, so should we hate all men?

ctiscoolers avatar ctiscooler Yeah You Are 0Reply
@ctiscooler I've been thinking this for so long. Not the whole boy scout thing, but the fact that the terrorists were also men...

The fact that they were men is irrelevant.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that it could have been either gender engaging in this act, but for the same reasons, right?

Most people don't actually know the whole story as to why Osama Bin Laden dislikes america and initiated the attack.

@The fact that they were men is irrelevant. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it could have been either gender...

But I feel like certain people are just picking out common traits of the terrorists and saying that all people of that trait or like them.
The terrorists were Muslim, but not all Muslims are terrorists. Like how squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares.

ctiscoolers avatar ctiscooler Yeah You Are +2Reply
@ctiscooler But I feel like certain people are just picking out common traits of the terrorists and saying that all people of...

That's true, and I definitely agree there.
What I don't understand is how people can be ignorant enough to lump every person into a category.
It's like the heated discussion with Whoopi Goldberg and Bill O'Reilly, where he's saying Muslims are the ones who destroyed the Trade Towers, and Whoopi is arguing that it was Muslim Extremists, just as Christianity and any other type of religion has extremists.

The sad thing is, people will always remain ignorant for the most part.

@That's true, and I definitely agree there. What I don't understand is how people can be ignorant enough to lump...

The sad thing is, Muslim extremists... Wait for it... Are Muslims. She was arguing a null point. Are radical Christians Christians? Well, who knows; did they do it under the name of their God in order to better themselves? No? Did the Muslim extremists? Yeah.

In any case, Muslim extremists are under the impression that their holy book orders them to murder white Americans, which they promised to do. The real question is whether or not America will lay down and let them walk all over us, adding insult to injury, the first attack on American soil in nearly 60 years.

@scrantoncity The sad thing is, Muslim extremists... Wait for it... Are Muslims. She was arguing a null point. Are radical...

Are you kidding me? Have you not heard about Timothy McVeigh? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_McVeigh
I'm sure, being a "Conservative Christian" yourself you were good friends with him?
And do you not understand the whole point of their bombing themselves? They wouldn't bomb their own religious building you fucking ignorant shit.

I don't want a reply from you, because I know well enough that having a discussion with you is like having a discussion with a wall.
It goes nowhere, and you clearly aren't smart enough to hold up your end of the argument.

That is the most biased thing I have ever read. And my second language textbook constantly says that its language is better than English.

ihatebakass avatar ihatebakas Yeah You Are +2Reply

You're right about the last part. If we built the mosque, Muslim extremists would get a real kick out of it. But the mosque is for Muslims, not Muslim extremists. And when I place myself in the shoes of a Muslim who really wanted that mosque to be built, and not for sadistic reasons, I immediately become ashamed of America's actions.

ctiscoolers avatar ctiscooler Yeah You Are +1Reply
@ctiscooler You're right about the last part. If we built the mosque, Muslim extremists would get a real kick out of it. But...

Oh really? He has permission to build it a small amount farther away, but won't. Why? If he wants it so bad, and not for sadistic reasons, this wouldn't be a problem, as he'd happily accept the other vacant spot and maybe even some money for obliging, and be merry. But no, he wishes to defile our hallowed ground. So be it. Stand by and let others walk all over the lives of fellow Americans.

@scrantoncity Oh really? He has permission to build it a small amount farther away, but won't. Why? If he wants it so bad, and...

I don't think that's his reasoning. When Rosa Parks was asked to sit in the back of the bus, she didn't move because she knew that she didn't deserve to be treated by her race. The man who wants to build the mosque also has been asked to move the mosque's location, but refuses to because he knows it is morally wrong of us to treat him based on his religion.

@ctiscooler I don't think that's his reasoning. When Rosa Parks was asked to sit in the back of the bus, she didn't move...

It's not based on his religion, buddy. If he were building a bookstore or restaurant who would care? But the fact that he is displaying an utter apathetic attitude towards the families who lost loved ones due to the thing he's supporting, yeah, that's concerning. And, being probably a decent guy, he should realize that people who have to drive by his Muslim center will be reminded everyday of their loss.

@scrantoncity It's not based on his religion, buddy. If he were building a bookstore or restaurant who would care? But the fact...

so because some people will be reminded of what happened you must deny hundreds of people their rights? And come on, i'm sure that those people think about their loss every day, they don't need a building to be reminded of the pain

@so because some people will be reminded of what happened you must deny hundreds of people their rights? And come...

Yes, for say seven hundred Muslims we should completely ignore the pain of 6000+ Americans. Sounds fair, right?

I guarantee more than one of those are mentally unstable. Who knows what they'll do to that mosque. Really, it's a lose-lose-lose situation. The families lose, the mosque may be bombed and lose, and America loses-either by A: we are disgraced on hallowed ground by the instigator of the perpetrator, or B: our mosque is blown up.

Really, there is no need for it there.

@scrantoncity Yes, for say seven hundred Muslims we should completely ignore the pain of 6000+ Americans. Sounds fair, right?...

So would you also like our government to ban the time 9:11 from existing, too? Everyone feels pain, but we can't change our way of life.

@scrantoncity So you would needlessly inflict suffering on someone, you heartless liberal?

You're inflicting suffering on non-extremist Muslims. Think about how hard it must be to be Muslim at a time like this.

This post is smart, funny, and ridiculously true. I applaud you (:

Except that it's Boy Scouts OF AMERICA

@GWest Except that it's Boy Scouts OF AMERICA

I agree there should not be a problem with putting a mosque there but your analogy is flawed

Here's another perspective, perhaps NOTHING should be built on Ground Zero because that space holds some sort of sentimental value for the people who've lost their loved ones on 9/11.

@ThunderQuail Here's another perspective, perhaps NOTHING should be built on Ground Zero because that space holds some sort of...

It's not on Ground Zero. No one would dare build anything on Ground Zero. THe mosque is a few blocks away.

@ThunderQuail (Life(:): oh. thanks for clearing that up for me. :)

Well actually, they are planning to build Freedom Tower there, which should be pretty cool. It'll include a 9/11 Memorial Museum.

amen

Probably half the muslims are male but only a small percent of males are muslim

@nevans7 and renegade

i'm not even american so i personally don't have an opinion on whether the govt was involved or not as i have done no research on it. However, it is one of the theories flying around. Personally i hope it's not true as that'd just be barbaric! And i feel sorry that bush gets such bad press (ok he does kinda deserve it but he's a human with feelings!). Anyways, i just wanted to see what other people thought about that theory :)

@@nevans7 and renegade i'm not even american so i personally don't have an opinion on whether the govt was...

hey I hope its not true too, but its something that i cant absolutely deny either. I just wanted to throw that out there.
I think if anything bush probly didnt even know about it, whoever did peobly knew how he would retaliate or something.
Anywho, that knowledge is pretty beyond us so I wont get too caught up in it.

haha potd? I think anthony likes controversy

CAN PEOPLE PLEASE STOP CALLING IT A MOSQUE?! It's not a mosque guys! Avada kedavra!

HEY!! That's sexist, you cant say that! :)

WHY do they have to build one THERE. is it not obvious that they're trying to mess with us heree

@WHY do they have to build one THERE. is it not obvious that they're trying to mess with us heree

They're aren't trying to mess with us... It's two block from Ground Zero, and, if you check your facts, two blocks in New York is a lot. Thanks. Bye.

Will be built in the same city as the twin towers were. We're not denying that the families have experienced extreme personal pain, it's just unfair of them to inflict their anger onto innocent people who just happen to be the same religion as the perps

Liberals rock! \m/

People don't want a mosque built a couple blocks away, but they can have strip clubs right across the street...so confusing...

smb4evers avatar smb4ever Yeah You Are 0Reply

This is such a stupid post. Thats the same as saying "we shouldn't put anything by Ground Zero b/c they where people!" Get Real.

congratulations? you want a cookie?

Oh yes because I'm sure that the terrorists like many others were doing their eagle projects of suicide bombing and devoting their lives and "purifying" of earth to their scout masters, and get badges in bomb construction, oh yes I definitely remember that section

@garrettruskamp Oh yes because I'm sure that the terrorists like many others were doing their eagle projects of suicide bombing and...

I got my Car Bomb and Hydrogen Bomb badges this week! Next week I'm doing Aviation in Metropolitan areas!

jenny swanson come to my birthday where?

Hehe, we're starting up this old thing again? November 2 has come and gone, so I guess this doesn't matter anymore, right? Wasn't that what this was all about? Political cheap shots over actual substance? :P

SalientKs avatar SalientK Yeah You Are -1Reply

being a man and being a muslim is not the same thing, hundreds of people died and its still a sensative issue

I think a lot of people said this above already, but this is a horrible comparison. The reason why 9/11 happened was because of their religion, so to put up a building of their religion nearby would be disrespectful. 9/11 had nothing to do with them being males, so putting up a "Boy Scout" building nearby WOULDN'T be disrespectful. It's not about what the terrorists were, it's about what their reasoning was.
And OK, not all Muslim are terrorists. But not all Muslims are innocent either. I'm not saying you have to view them all suspiciously, just to tread cautiously - I don't think there's anything wrong with that, no matter how liberal you want to be. I am not racist or judgmental or anything of that sort but that doesn't mean I'm going to leave myself wide open either. "Keep an open mind, but don't leave it all the way open or your brains will fall out."

How do you all know 9/11 wasnt an inside job?
google project for a new anerican century
basically they wanted another war to start to spread our troops everywhere to gain power and fund weapons dealers

WHY THE FUCK DID PEOPLE SAY YEAH YOU ARE?

They did it because they are muslim and we are not, though. It's just a symbol that is kind of inappropriate for the situation. I think more non muslims are concerned about this whole controversy than actual muslims who are supposedly being mistreated.

@fEMMAnist Who is the "we" in "we are not" Muslim?

Sigh. America as a whole. Yes, it is a fact that America has less muslims than wherever the terrorists came from.

@GiggityGoo22 Sigh. America as a whole. Yes, it is a fact that America has less muslims than wherever the terrorists came from.

I get it. We Americans aren't Muslim, expect for the 2.8 millions Americans who are Muslim. Besides that, we're not Muslim at all.

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist Yeah You Are +1Reply

It is extremely disrespectful and offensive to build a mosque at ground zero. whenever muslims conquered a city the first thing they would do is build a mosque to sort of "mark their territory" so you can see why building a mosque near ground zero upsets so many americans.

@sarahhh It is extremely disrespectful and offensive to build a mosque at ground zero. whenever muslims conquered a city the...

I strongly advise you to look up what the hell you're talking about. It's not a goddamn mosque. It's a community center, just like any YMCA, with a prayer hall. I myself am a Muslim, and i happen to know that a room that people pray in is not considered a "mosque", if it were that way, there'd be no less than billions of mosques in the world.

Ramis avatar Rami Yeah You Are +2Reply

The "mosque" (it's not even a mosque it's a community center) was planned before the 9/11 attacks... It's not there to "mark territory" it's not even that close to ground zero.

SpearmintMilks avatar SpearmintMilk Yeah You Are +1Reply

Its not a mosque! Its a community center with a mosque inside it! Jeez, pretending that Americans' feelings are important! Where do you get off? The only peoples feelings who matter are the horrifically mistreated Islam-Americans! Not the hundreds of families torn apart in 2001. No their feelings aren't important! Its about forcing them to embrace the religion that produced the people that destroyed the ones they loved. They aren't important! Come on sarahhh! Have more sensitivity to the people who don't need it! Not the ones who do!

Just to add this into the mix...what about the whole theory that George Bush himself was actually behind it?

@Just to add this into the mix...what about the whole theory that George Bush himself was actually behind it?

Come on now. As much fun as it is to blame Bush for everything that he had no control over, that's crossing the line.

My comment below yours state that, but not every single politician would know about it but a very select few people (bush or no bush idk) but I heard that they pretty much created al qaeda to create another war we can go to, so we can fund weapons dealers/try to gain power in the world.
I wouldnt put it past them because they have funded BOTH sides of past wars. There is also the theory of pearl harbor too, cus think about it-America wasnt involved in that war until pearl harbor happened

THIS SITE IS DOMINATED BY LIBERALS! I think I will go some place else where people aren't delusional.

@THIS SITE IS DOMINATED BY LIBERALS! I think I will go some place else where people aren't delusional.

Why exactly are liberals delusional? But because we aren't idiots and don't group whole religions by a small group, doesn't mean we don't see things as they are. Shove that up your ultra-conservative butt.

Try joining the KKK. You'll probably agree with their views on immigration.

OK- THIS POST IS FREAKING BULL CRAP.

The building of the Mosque is disrespectful in regards of the location. JUST BECAUSE all Muslims are NOT Terrorists, it's still in bad flavor of decision on location.

AND, the fact that, not only did the people who chose the location REFUSE other locations (REFUSE!!!) they are not revealing where the money to fund this project is coming from.

In respect of the 9/11 event, it would be most appreciated to simply move the location. But the fact people WON'T, it is indeed raising concern.

@OptimusPrime69 OK- THIS POST IS FREAKING BULL CRAP. The building of the Mosque is disrespectful in regards of the location. JUST...

The man who is building the Mosque owned the land before (BEFORE!!!) 9/11! He funded it himself over the years and just now is able to do it. I really think you need to open your mind to the world and quit being an ignorant prick.

What a douche post. How did this make the post of the day? Wasn't clever, just dumb...

justin angeles will have his birthday in 219 more days and jenny swanson will come over and bring him a cake if he is a good student because they are best friend teacher and student. 219 more days yes!!!!

@Kurrainette (good boy!!!!!!!!): ..... what?

jenny swanson come over to justin p. angeles birthday and she will bring him a cake if he is a good student at the special education classes. 219 more days until jenny swanson come over to justin p. angeles swingin' birthday bash at the angeles house!

@(good boy!!!!!!!!!!!!): Shut up you stupid faggot.

(stfu.): I think the kid is special ed. Please be respectful of others. This is not a place to argue.
Regards,
Henry.

@(stfu.): I think the kid is special ed. Please be respectful of others. This is not a place to argue. Regards, Henry.

(stfu.): BE PWUIEET TIME! SHHH! if justin angeles not a good best friend student, jenny swanson will not bake the cake and come over to justin angeles swingin' birthday bash and go to justin angeles swingin' birthday bash in 219 more days! YES!

wat about if i built a chinese restaurant on top of a white people cementerary wud that be controversial.

@wat about if i built a chinese restaurant on top of a white people cementerary wud that be controversial.

Um, I think it would be kinda offensive for anything to be built on top of a cemetery.

im pretty sure just the fact that its a 'white' cemetery would be controversial.

jens avatar jen Yeah You Are +2Reply

I wanna kill everyone. brb getting a plane to crash into everyone's house.

@596624

Please, pick up a Qu'ran, read it, and then talk. It's disgusting how wrong you are.

thePretenders avatar thePretender Yeah You Are +9Reply
@596624

All the teachings of Islam oppose mass murder and hatred. You are getting confusing a beautiful wise faith with a murderous political faction.

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist Yeah You Are +7Reply
@740790

Neither did mosques.

@741286

With that you kind of insulted Christians and Jews as well... I mean, we all have the same god, but Jews focus on the old testament, and Muslims on Mohammad who according to their religion came after Jesus. And, we all believe in Jesus, but Muslims and Jews just consider him a prophet.

TenaciousDs avatar TenaciousD Yeah You Are 0Reply
@741286

you obviously do not see the point of this post.

@741286

Okay. So what if say, a Christian was a serial killer and killed tons of people, would that make it disrespectful to have a church near the house of one of the victims? No. This is only because everyone's too fucking prejudiced.

@740790

well, no shit.

@740790

Muslims didn't kill anyone. People who were Muslims did. You can't just generalize that. You're grouping millions of people by a couple.

@740790

I highly doubt that not a single boy scout is a murderer, just like those few Muslims were.

ihatebakass avatar ihatebakas Yeah You Are 0Reply
@741294

two blocks away... and not even a mosque, a prayer center... ya that's reeaaallly inappropriate

@740790

They weren't Muslims.

@741007

By your logic, we should demolish any churches left in the south, because of all the violent acts that the KKK has commited.

@741007

Hey, what's up, bud? I heard you were a Christian. You think nerds go to hell, don't you? Why do you want to stone gay people so badly? Quit desecrating the American flag! FUCK YOU, you protest at soldiers' funerals, show a little respect! God doesn't hate the world, you dumbass, read the Bible. And what did you plan to accomplish from protesting Dio's funeral? I hate Christians, they do so many terrible things!!!1!!1/1!shift

...Clearly, you don't judge all Christians based off of the acts of the Westboro Baptist Church. Clearly, also, you don't judge all Muslims based off of the acts of a relatively small extremist group.

The_Enlighteneds avatar The_Enlightened Yeah You Are +4Reply
@741007

So because some extremists of their religion did some terrible things, their religion is bad and they're not allowed to be happy anymore? And also, they aren't building a mosque. It's a community center.

@743579

Untimely? It's actually been used as part of another mosque for the past year. So they're building it OUT of a mosque, and INTO a community center. And not move to another place? Because they are making a statement. Not a slap-in-the-face statement, but they want to say that Muslims are not all bad, and they want to be part of rebuilding Manhattan's community. Oh, and the building has a memorial to 9/11 in it. I think they're very brave to stand up to all the hate going out to them.

@744064

Yeah I get what you mean, they must know they're going to get a lot of criticism, but my reasoning is this, they probably thought it was far enough away. Two blocks in New York is a lot. Plus, it's Manhattan, New York, real estate is probably going to be hard to find. Also, some debris from 9/11 hit the building that used to be there, so Muslims building a memorial and community center there was supposed to send a good message.

@744293

Thanks! I actually want to be a lawyer, so I'm getting my practice on this site, ha :)

@743579

how on earth is it untimely?! It's been almost a decade since 9/11 people! How long do you want to wait?

I think we should make a billboard making fun of Muhammad and the Qua'ran across the street from the mosque. Freedom of press and speech, right?

@740860

Thanks for that. That made my day.

Sahils avatar Sahil Yeah You Are 0Reply

let's fly a few planes into the mosque

@596737

I wish I could give you 50+ thumb up's

@596737

There's seriously a Facebook group for that? That's some fucked up stuff.

@There's seriously a Facebook group for that? That's some fucked up stuff.

@741511 (Anonymous): Yes, there was a group about it, but I believe it was removed. It was revolting. And, it wasn't funny.

@596737

Why would Muslims want to fly planes into the Trade Towers?
They're extremists. Perhaps "Matt" is as well.
Calm down, it's not like somebody from this website has the power to do such a thing.

@let's fly a few planes into the mosque

let's fly a few planes into your house

@let's fly a few planes into the mosque

Dude, you people are freaking out way too much over this comment, it's a troll. He knows it's a very ignorant statement, that's the point.

this is so ridiculously ignorant. the towers were not crashed into in the name of being male. they were crashed into in the name of allah.

@And if I had to guess, I'd say you're being stupid in the name of God.

is he being stupid or respectful in the name of all the people that died?

@is he being stupid or respectful in the name of all the people that died?

Denying somebody's rights over a bunch of corpses is respectful?

@Denying somebody's rights over a bunch of corpses is respectful?

Yes. It was a bunch of corpses that gave you the rights you have today. So respect the dead

@Double_hawk Yes. It was a bunch of corpses that gave you the rights you have today. So respect the dead

So we're going to take somebody's rights away because we might offend some people who will never see the light of day? I understand mourning and all, and I know sometimes a decade isn't enough, but this is just pouting. "No, shut up, you can't have rights because you might offend that person there. What do you mean they can't feel anymore? Of course they can, shut up."

@So we're going to take somebody's rights away because we might offend some people who will never see the light of...

Obviously a dead person can't feel anything...I'm not an idiot. But the families of the people who died are still alive and kicking. This country already takes away right for the sake of not hurting anyone's feelings, so why not this?

@They do? Just how do they do that?

You don't really have the right to refuse service to anyone, if you own a store or restaurant. If you do and the person is anything but white, they can sue you for discrimination. And the chances of them winning are pretty good. That also applies to the job market. If a white man and a black man apply for the same job and the white man is just a little more qualified than the black guy, the person hiring is obligated to give it to the black guy because they get tax cuts for having a diverse staff. Where's the right to equal opportunity for the white man?

@Double_hawk You don't really have the right to refuse service to anyone, if you own a store or restaurant. If you do and the...

So because one group faces discrimination by individuals, it's okay to discriminate against another group because they believe something different than you do?

@So because one group faces discrimination by individuals, it's okay to discriminate against another group because...

WHat?!? Obviously that's not what i'm saying. You asked for examples, and I gave them to you. My examples are fact, and you asking another question after I gave you an answer just shows how much you want to keep arguing. I've made my point, I'm done

@Double_hawk WHat?!? Obviously that's not what i'm saying. You asked for examples, and I gave them to you. My examples are fact...

No, that's exactly what you're saying. In asking how we refuse rights to some people to make others not feel uncomfortable, there was an implied request of justification; and that was yours. Well done, sir.

@No, that's exactly what you're saying. In asking how we refuse rights to some people to make others not feel...

My question at the end was rhetorical, and it was my mistake not making that clear.

well 70% of America agrees with me, so are they all stupid? what was stupid about that post? did i say something factually inaccurate?

@596380

i know that a large majority of Americans find the Ground Zero Mosque offensive. Did you know that you have no logical arguments?

@596408

yes, a strip club is offensive. but not as offensive as opening a super muslim center, and opening it on 9/11

@596441

I disagree with the mosque, but I, along with millions of others, find burning another person's holy book EXTREMELY disrespectful.

Katffros avatar Katffro No Way +38Reply
@596488

My intentions weren't to start an argument, just to tell you that 99% of Americans were furious with the Qu'ran burning.
Sorry if you took it the wrong way.
I'm getting pretty bored of this debate, too.

@596441

did you know that you can see hundreds of bible burnings on youtube without a problem, but when you try and burn a koran, the president gets involved???

@596441

i didnt say it wasn't. but nobody dies in that event. he was going to (didnt end up doing it, i dont think) burn korans, not Muslims

@pantherfanatic i didnt say it wasn't. but nobody dies in that event. he was going to (didnt end up doing it, i dont think) burn...

Pantherfanataic FTW.

May I please point out that Pantherfanatic is the one presenting actual facts and a reasonable argument, while you're making jokes? He has a point. You don't. You fail.

I do not have the time to get involved in a stupid online argument, so that is all I'm going to say. But I'm going to strongly second everything Panther has said.

@thatdaydreamer Pantherfanataic FTW. May I please point out that Pantherfanatic is the one presenting actual facts and a...

@596801 (thatdaydreamer): In response to that statistic, that is one of several polls that have been taken on the topic.

I'm wondering who was in charge of the poll? Other polls stated things like 43% disagreed, 52% disagreed, and 60% disagreed. It's all about which poll, and who conducted them.

piratedicecreams avatar piratedicecream Yeah You Are +11Reply

can i just say that it is ridiculous that we are fighting over 9/11 this is what the terrorists wanted and also not all islams are terrorists most of them disagree with what Al Qaeda is doing

@Just_Another_Atheist can i just say that it is ridiculous that we are fighting over 9/11 this is what the terrorists wanted and also not...

That conversation was forever ago. Don't start it up again.

The Middle East conflict needs to be resolved. I'm sure we all agree that. Ignoring it isn't going to make it go away.

Islams is the incorrect terminology. Islam is a religion. Muslims are the ones that follow it. I never said all Muslims like what Al Qaeda is doing. Some of them totally disagree and speak out about it. BUT SOME DO. And the fact that there are some against Al Qaeda doesn't make the pain of families being torn apart by suicide bombers any less real.

@pantherfanatic yes, a strip club is offensive. but not as offensive as opening a super muslim center, and opening it on 9/11

Dumbass! It's not on ground zero, and it's a community center with a mosque IN it. Are you retarded?! Your arguments are based upon "fact" that you probably have never researched, and therefore your opinion is based off of misconception.

Whutsurnayms avatar Whutsurnaym Yeah You Are +45Reply
@Whutsurnaym Dumbass! It's not on ground zero, and it's a community center with a mosque IN it. Are you retarded?! Your...

OH MY GOD! THANK YOU FOR FUCKING BEING INTELLIGENT! SERIOUSLY PEOPLE THESE DAYS ARE SO FUCKIN RIDICULOUS! Even if it was a mosque, so what? If it had been any other radical religion (hypothetical obviously) that created ground zero there would be NO freaking conflict what so ever! Grow up America! If your pissed because a group of people want to build whats almost basically a YMCA, then you've got a problem.

@Whutsurnaym I dunno where you're getting your information, but cheers, read up! http://mediamatters.org/research/201008100011

Dude, they say "the center" when they speak about it in the link you gave, (eg: Beck: "You want to open [the center] on September 11th? You're a fool.") The name "Ground Zero Mosque" is just that, a name. Celebrity couples get them all the time like TomCat for example, it's so the public will recognize what they (the press, or newspapers) are talking about. I'm sure they gave the center that name in hopes of confusing and enraging those who feel so prejudice because of September 11. Take a look at this, http://www.salon.com/news/polit...dmarks_goahead ,
you might also want to check out their official website as well, http://blog.park51.org/ . If you're still in denial after this then I'm sorry, but being stubborn here will only make you look childish.

@pantherfanatic i know that a large majority of Americans find the Ground Zero Mosque offensive. Did you know that you have no...

Umm first of all, its NOT a mosque it is a muslim community center-kinda like a ymca of the sorts. A place for people in their community to go. There is a room for prayer but thats about it. You can not even see ground zero from there. If they didnt have a community center, people would bitch about them coming to 'normal' community center all the time probly.

@pantherfanatic well 70% of America agrees with me, so are they all stupid? what was stupid about that post? did i say something...

well.. 1 in 5 Americans believe that our own president is Muslim, when he clearly isn't, so.. yeah, i'd say they're pretty stupid.

rowannes avatar rowanne Yeah You Are +53Reply
@Elise How is he "clearly not" Muslim?

You think Obama is a muslim?

Sighs*, You must be a conservatard.

@Elise How is he "clearly not" Muslim?

... did you not read ANY of what my comment(s) said?

rowannes avatar rowanne Yeah You Are 0Reply
@rowanne well.. 1 in 5 Americans believe that our own president is Muslim, when he clearly isn't, so.. yeah, i'd say they're...

yet he has said it himself, maybe that shows you how many Americans actually look at his speeches, or voted for him because he was black to realize that they don't like his policies and his massive campaigning of change was more bullshit than his healthcare plans and distribution of taxes

@596527 (rowanne): Our president is a Muslim, whether he admits it or not. There's evidence that backs it up. As a boy when he went to India for school and was registered there as a Muslim (and if you know anything about the muslim faith, you'd know you don't just switch religions. People are often killed by their own family members if they switch). Apostasy in Islam has been a crime punishable to death since it's inception, so if he was registered as a boy, he must still be one.

@Double_hawk @596527 (rowanne): Our president is a Muslim, whether he admits it or not. There's evidence that backs it up. As a...

actually, no they're not.. my family IS Muslim, and a few of people have converted.. sorry, but we have yet to kill any of them, so get your facts straight. not to mention, he didn't fast on Ramadan, which is a Muslim holiday, he celebrates Christmas, he goes to church, and he says he's christian. so.. yeah.. i think he would know better than you what his own religion is. my father is muslim and encourages me to explore other religions.sorry, but your 'facts' are just propaganda.

rowannes avatar rowanne Yeah You Are +46Reply

Obama is not a Muslim!! He is not registered as a Muslim in India. He doesn't follow the Qur'an and he goes to Church every Sunday. If he was a Muslim, he would say so because Islam is a beautiful and wise religon and there is no shame in being Muslim. I would have no problem with Obama being a Muslim or a Jew or whatever because it shouldn't really matter.

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist Yeah You Are +44Reply
@Double_hawk You are blind

I know you! You are the kid who called gays vile and disgusting in another thread. Apparently you hate Muslims and democrats too. You are way more hateful than I first imagined.

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist Yeah You Are +21Reply
@fEMMAnist I know you! You are the kid who called gays vile and disgusting in another thread. Apparently you hate Muslims and...

I know you too! You're that girl who thinks I'm satan for speaking my mind (something she seems to do a lot of aswell) And I never called gays disgusting. If you read my comment (from the other post that has almost nothing to do with this conversation) then you'll see I said that if gay's were allowed to marry, it wouldn't be long before something even worse demanded acceptance, which in turn would lead to something worse and worse and lead to a world full of perversions far worse than the world we live in today.

@Double_hawk I know you too! You're that girl who thinks I'm satan for speaking my mind (something she seems to do a lot of...

Sorry, EVEN worse? I see nothing wrong with gay marriage. If the majority of people were gay, would you want them to deny rights to straight people marrying? In the Declaration of Independence, it states that "ALL men are created equal," not "All white catholic straight Republican men are created equal." I apologize if I offended you, that was not my intention.

SpelingChampiens avatar SpelingChampien Yeah You Are +16Reply

You're an idiot. Even IF Obama was Muslim, it clearly states in the Constitution that they can be leaders, regardless of religion. So learn about religion, history, actually, learn anything before you try to start a debate on here. You're so ignorant about life, you should just hang your head in shame.

Sahils avatar Sahil Yeah You Are +14Reply
@Sahil You're an idiot. Even IF Obama was Muslim, it clearly states in the Constitution that they can be leaders...

It also states that in order for you to become president you must be born IN the United States. Last I checked, Kenya is in Africa, and it's its own country.

@It also states that in order for you to become president you must be born IN the United States. Last I checked...

Give valid proof that he was born in Kenya. I'd like to see you try. Check his birth certificate. It boldy states that he was born in Hawaii. Also, please don't try to pull the reference of Michelle Obama saying, when they went to Kenya, "We're going to Obama's homeland." That's just a phrase, because his DAD was from Kenya. My parents are from India, though I was born in the USA. It would be like me saying, when I go to India, "I'm going to my homeland." So check you facts before you post.

@Double_hawk You are blind

I think you are the blind one, YOU CANT EVEN OPEN YOUR FUCKING EYES TO OTHER RELIGIONS! I take slivers of knowledge from all religions, my mind is OPEN.

Who cares what religion he is?
That doesn't affect his abilities.
America is a country of religious freedom!

@Who cares what religion he is? That doesn't affect his abilities. America is a country of religious freedom!

Uh, he didn't go to school in India. He went in Hawaii, which, if my map is correct, is awfully far from India. And, uh, I believe Islam allows you to convert, at least in the non-extremist families. And as far as I know, Obama is Christian.
@741038 (Fred): Thank you. I understand the reason some people would care, but it's disrespectful to Islam for people to dislike Obama because they believe him a Muslim.
As a side note, I would like to point out, at the risk of being flamed, that not all Muslims are crazy extremist terrorists. They're about 1% of those who practice the Islamic faith.

SpelingChampiens avatar SpelingChampien Yeah You Are +12Reply

Can I just point one thing out? Muslim families aren't crazy, okay? They won't kill their own children because they changed religions.

Apparatuss avatar Apparatus Yeah You Are +9Reply

If you knew anything about the muslim faith, you'de know they aren't people who hide their religion. If he was muslim, you would now. And even if he is, I don't see how this changes anything, unless you are racist.

@If you knew anything about the muslim faith, you'de know they aren't people who hide their religion. If he was...

Well, you were right about the first part, but I have to disagree with the last sentence. I've studied many religions, but mainly the Islamic Faith, because I find a particular interest in it.(I don't follow a lot of faiths, I just learn about them.) And one of the key facts involved in your argument is that the Islamic Faith does not recognize the separation of church and state, which means almost everything they do is involved with some form of politics. This is crucial because a person's main argument with this is that "The first amendment protects freedom of religion". Well, there's a problem with this. The first amendment does not say that. It says congress shall not pass a law prohibiting the free practice of religion. Not racist, it's just that things aren't always how they seem.

errr.... I suggest watching this video before calling Obama a muslim. because if he is, then he's a very bad one....

annabananapandas avatar annabananapanda Yeah You Are +2Reply

Umm, yes, I do think about 70% of America is dumb. That's why a large percentage of our population didn't know we were colonized by the British.

I would not be surprised if 70% of Americans are stupid, I only hope that none of them are me. And besides, the whole "opening it on 9/11" thing is bullshit.

@pantherfanatic this is so ridiculously ignorant. the towers were not crashed into in the name of being male. they were crashed...

Park 51 is 13 stories high and is sort of like a YMCA/community center/Museum. It has a swimming pool and a movie theater and Islamic exhibit type things. It has ONE MULTI-RELIGIOUS prayer room in the whole building. Calling that a Mosque is like saying that a chapel in a hospital is a church. As for the distance from GZ, you have to keep in mind that two blocks in New York City is A LOT. There are also multiple bars, multiple strip clubs, a sex toy shop, and an off-track gambling den within two blocks of GZ. The area around it obviously isn't very sacred and no one was complaining about these establishments being so close. People also never complained about the Mosque that is INSIDE the Pentagon, even though that was also attacked on 9/11. The main funder behind it actually helped 9/11 victims in the aftermath, and he's been in 4 diplomatic missions to the Middle East for the U.S. state department (2 under Bush and 2 under Obama). You have absolutley no fa...

BreakfastFans avatar BreakfastFan Yeah You Are +39Reply
@740955

It's extremely sad how misinformed and just plain stupid people can be. It seems more and more lately that the MAJORITY of people are part of this idiotic group. More than the recession, more than the defecit, more than the pointless wars, more than the failing schools or collapsing infastructure, it is this increase in the amount of stupid people that is making me lose faith in America.

BreakfastFans avatar BreakfastFan Yeah You Are +15Reply
@BreakfastFan Park 51 is 13 stories high and is sort of like a YMCA/community center/Museum. It has a swimming pool and a movie...

Ok. I love you. You just made my point, but made it 1000x better. Retarded people who know nothing about religion. They think that because a couple of Muslims do terroristic acts, the whole religion should be discriminated against. People are BLIND.

Sahils avatar Sahil Yeah You Are +8Reply

I don't know if anyone has said this yet, but Allah is the EXACT SAME GOD as the Christian and Jewish god.

twisted_memoriess avatar twisted_memories Yeah You Are +10Reply

Are you also aware that you're being prejudiced against a religion? It's like how black people after the civil war saw all white people as bad. Just because one group of that specific religion saw it as bad doesn't mean that everyone in that group is bad. It's profiling and it is wrong.

like it or not he( panther) is right, they bombed the tours in the name of their religion not their penises

Took the words right out of my mouth. If they're going stand up for it, fine, but at least be logical. Boy scouts? That was cheap and they know it.

Mooses avatar Moose No Way -4Reply

I'm with you. The people on this site need to grow up and stop being so obsessed about acceptance of foreign cultures because their useless leader Obama said so. Keep the mosques away from ground zero.

@I'm with you. The people on this site need to grow up and stop being so obsessed about acceptance of foreign...

For the last time: It's not a mosque.
Only in America will the majority of people be more offended by another religious center nearby GZ than a strip club and sex toy shop.