-102

Old people are awesome and all, but people over the age of 70 should by LAW not be allowed to drive! I don't know about you guys, but I'm tired of being forced to drive 10 under the speed limit because the elder in front of me is so OLD they can't even read the posted speed limit! amirite?

reerees avatar
0 33
The voters have decided that reeree is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

They shouldn't get their license taken away because of their age. Perhaps a better solution would be to test people once they hit a certain age to see if it is still safe that they drive.

@StickCaveman They shouldn't get their license taken away because of their age. Perhaps a better solution would be to test people...

One of the biggest lobbying groups in America is the AARP, being required to be tested at a certain age, presumably an elderly one, would never pass as a law, however being required to re-take the driving test every 5-10 years could possibly pass as a law and essentially accomplishes the same thing.

If we start talking like that then all teenagers shouldn't be allowed to drive either. I am sick of having to dodge cars that can't stop at stop signs going 10 miles over the speed limit.

@AndyBlacksmith If we start talking like that then all teenagers shouldn't be allowed to drive either. I am sick of having to dodge...

When teenagers go to college, how are they going to get there? I would of moved out by then. Old people are retired.

@AppAwesome When teenagers go to college, how are they going to get there? I would of moved out by then. Old people are retired.

So? It doesn't matter. You can't discriminate based on age, everybody has their things. Not all old people drive that way just like not all young people drive like I described.

@AndyBlacksmith So? It doesn't matter. You can't discriminate based on age, everybody has their things. Not all old people drive...

I beg to differ. Literally EVERY time I'm caught behind a slow driver, it's an old person. Once in a blue moon, it's someone talking on their phone. But it happens atleast once or twice a day where I'm stuck behind a slow elder. Oh and my teacher once told me that it's not even safe for old people to drive at night because of something with their vision.

reerees avatar reeree Yeah You Are -10Reply
@reeree I beg to differ. Literally EVERY time I'm caught behind a slow driver, it's an old person. Once in a blue moon...

Yeah, maybe if you understood what I said you wouldn't have sounded like a complete idiot right there. The reason you are not behind young people that drive slowly is because they drive too fast. You should get the same punishment for driving ten miles over the speed limit as for driving ten miles under it. And that is why there are vision tests when you get your license. Some people actually can't drive at night.

@AndyBlacksmith Yeah, maybe if you understood what I said you wouldn't have sounded like a complete idiot right there. The reason...

Oh of course! I'll stop arguing. It's really not annoying to drive behind someone going 10 or 15 below the speed limit. Much better than going behind someone who's going 5 over. Shame on them! You are SO right!

reerees avatar reeree Yeah You Are -12Reply
@reeree Oh of course! I'll stop arguing. It's really not annoying to drive behind someone going 10 or 15 below the speed...

I didn't say that. First of all, You said old people shouldn't be allowed to drive. That is what I disagreed with, not the fact that it is annoying to drive behind a slow driver. I am saying that while maybe every time you are behind a slow driver they are old, that doesn't mean that all old people are slow drivers. People of every age group go slowly and people from every age group drive too fast. You can't just take their license for something like age, they have to do something stupid first. And no, driving too slow is not grounds to lose your license, although they can get a ticket for it.

@reeree goodness it was a joke calm down!

You are on a site about opinions. I gave you mine. You are the one getting defensive with your sarcasm. I don't think I am the one that needs to calm down.

Yeah, everyone hates a slow driver... but you should try passing them and get on with your day haha. It's not a big deal.

not 70. all of my grandparents are over 70 and drive perfectly fine.

My grandpa is 87 and he still drives. He drives me to school each morning.

Maybe taking their license away is a bit harsh.... Every one should just have to retake the driving test like every 20 years or so.... No one is discriminated against and people who drive lousy will be taken off the road!

@Nerdunderdog 5 years.

5 is a little too often.... You dont even have to renew your licens every 5 years, like 10 would be better.

@JackieSnidarich 5 is a little too often.... You dont even have to renew your licens every 5 years, like 10 would be better.

Probably should have added "when they're 60". I think that's reasonable. But they need to actually test them. At most, they only check their eyesight (slighty) and let them go.

@Nerdunderdog Probably should have added "when they're 60". I think that's reasonable. But they need to actually test them. At...

But If you start making them retake the test at 60 or what ever you are still discriminating against their age so to eliminate that make every one take it every what ever amount of years so no one can complain.

@JackieSnidarich But If you start making them retake the test at 60 or what ever you are still discriminating against their age so...

When there is a clear and present danger, the good of the country is taken above the good of the individual. Discrimination isn't always a bad thing, it could actually be for safety reasons.

@Nerdunderdog When there is a clear and present danger, the good of the country is taken above the good of the individual...

There will always be that idiot though that even though there is a legit reason wont see it and cause a fuss

@JackieSnidarich There will always be that idiot though that even though there is a legit reason wont see it and cause a fuss

Sadly, your post makes far too much sense. "there will always..." implys that there is no way to make everyone happy. So in this case, I'd say, change the law, and apply the principle stated in my last comment for every defense

After age 60, have them take a driving test every five years.

My grandparents are 75 and both of them still have perfect eyesight and can drive just as well is my 45 year old parents.

They should still be allowed to drive, but I think that everyone needs to retake a drivers test, or at least take an eye exam, when they go renew their license as opposed to just filling out a sheet of paper.

Revoking their license might be a bit excessive, but I do agree that they should do something about it. Maybe periodically test them after they hit a certain age?

Instead of getting on amirite and complaining about elderly slow drivers, I do the smart thing and go around them...

I think this post should apply to employment at Walmart.

GiggityGoo22s avatar GiggityGoo22 Yeah You Are -1Reply