+227

It's sad when the tragedy of Whale and Dolphin slaughtering is going on everyday in Japan, and all we as Americans do is make another reality TV show about it... amirite?

kylermcgees avatar Countries & Places
1 8
The voters have decided that kylermcgee is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I don't think it sucks that an educational reality program is made about the issue in a market that already has an entertainment reality show for everything else.

What's more is that most reality programs are made for entertainment value, yet shows like Whale Wars are educational and raise awareness of issues. This is a HUGE difference between this program and reality shows one would regularly find on MTV and other networks. That is better than just ignoring the topic all together.

There are other countries that don't do anything much, either.

The same thing happens in Hudson Bay and is authorized by the US government. So stop pointing the finger at Asia and do something about what you yourself are doing before interfering in the affairs of other countries.

@The same thing happens in Hudson Bay and is authorized by the US government. So stop pointing the finger at Asia...

Please send me a link, or give me a direction to look into this and I promise I will do all that I can to stop it. Please give me more info.

kylermcgees avatar kylermcgee Yeah You Are 0Reply

That and I used to do some work at a cable network, and all the research and planning that goes into programming takes a year or more, depending on the show.

So depending on the networks audience, different shows are made for different reasons. Companies like National Geographic, Discovery/TLC, etc are not producing much of their programming for entertainment value, but more as information vehicles.

Sure, there may be a "hook" to get people to watch, but everything else is education.

But thats what Yanks do best...make stupid reality shows

You know what is even sadder? Its the fact that people think killing some animals is okay but killing the cute ones is evil.

@lana You know what is even sadder? Its the fact that people think killing some animals is okay but killing the cute ones...

It's not that they're cute, it's because they are endagered species. They do not produce rapidly like fish, who lay hundreds of eggs at a time. Whales and dolphins have really long gestation periods (up to 18 months for whales and around 12 for dolphins) and most can't get pregnant again for a year after they've given birth.

Killing animals in a controlled way for food is fine. Killing an endangered species for food? Not so fine.

Mikes avatar Mike Yeah You Are +1Reply