+181

Gym class should not be mandatory in high school. It would have been much nicer to take a useful class (like French, IA, Band or Home Ec) that teaches you skills you can use later on in life. Learning the rules of field hockey has helped you so much, amirite?

Mholtzs avatar
1 44
The voters have decided that Mholtz is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Some people are too lazy to keep themselves in decent shape on their own. Partly, this is what gym class is for. And making sure that the student isn't ridiculously overworked by having 9 classes in a row with the only break being lunch.

@I_Hate_Underscores Yes.

every school I've ever been to only has 7.

@ashnicoleluvsblg every school I've ever been to only has 7.

Lucky you...

Well, technically, it's only 8 classes, but there are 9 periods. 4 straight classes, lunch, then 4 more classes.

@ashnicoleluvsblg Huh. Wow. I see.

I have four; each are 80 minutes long. We stopped having 7 classes after junior high.

@jaimiee16 I have four; each are 80 minutes long. We stopped having 7 classes after junior high.

That's crazy. On certain days we have four and certain days we have three but all together we have 7.

@jaimiee16 Strange :p Do you guys have those classes all year or what?

we change classes each semester but here's how the week goes: Monday all 7 classes. Tuesday periods 2, Lab A and Lab B (basically like study halls), 4, and 6. Wednesday periods 1, 3, 5, and 7. Thursday is just like Tuesday and Friday is just like Wednesday. My school is very strange.

The labs are with the same classes as 2nd and 4th periods. Its confusing at first.

How else would you get exercise in school though? You sit almost all day long.

In Ontario we only need 1 credit in Physical Education to graduate, but I plan on taking PE all through high school because there's no such thing as too much exercise. I think it's a good idea that it's mandatory wherever you live because some kids wouldn't be getting any exercise at all otherwise.

@Uhhh, there is such a thing as too much exercise.

If you think an hour of exercise 5 days a week is "too much," then you probably don't exercise enough.

@ThatDylanGuy If you think an hour of exercise 5 days a week is "too much," then you probably don't exercise enough.

I didn't say that...at all. I said there is such a thing as too much exercise. Please learn to read.

Yes, because we all know that blowing into a pipe is way more useful than being healthy

Geoffs avatar Geoff No Way +8Reply

It isn't that gym class teaches useful skills, it's that gym class teaches and promotes a healthy lifestyle. To learn something else (french, IA, or band), may be more practical is does not directly affect your health or personal habits. P.E. should be at least somewhat enjoyable, and a break from the day to day drone of highschool life.

aren;t we all forgetting about teamwork and co-operation it can teach you. its also a chance for dumb people to accelerate at something

To people saying you'd get fat without it:If you don't want to be there, you're probably not going to try very hard, which equals little to no exercise. I hated PE because I didn't want to be all sweaty in my next class, so I put forth minimal effort. Barely even got my heartrate up.

@Tallglassofwater To people saying you'd get fat without it:If you don't want to be there, you're probably not going to try very...

I don't know how your gym classes are graded (if they even are), but at my school you have to actually put in some effort and do the exercises at the start of class every day or you lose points. I've seen people actually fail a gym class because they were lazy and didn't do anything. If you pass a gym class without putting any effort at all in to it then your teacher isn't doing their job.

Lanzs avatar Lanz No Way +4Reply
@Lanz I don't know how your gym classes are graded (if they even are), but at my school you have to actually put in some...

At my school, the teachers are pretty relaxed. As long as it looks like you're doing something you're fine. At the beginning of class we'd have to do some jumping jacks and a few push-ups, but you could get away with doing "girl push-ups" which don't really do much. And if we were playing something like soccer, you could just walk back and forth on the field and be fine.

yeah great idea let's worsen obesity in high schools even more by telling children that p.e. isn't important

@ImTheRealShady obesity is a medical condition

obesity is not always a medical condition. especially in the case of children, it is usually due to lifestyle and the upbringing they have received.

My gym class is a joke. My teacher's a headcase that thinks everyone should already be in shape by high school even though my entire class is whiny girls, band geeks, and stoners. And it's the only class I'm required to take all 4 years. I think there are much more productive classes to require every year than gym.

@armtheangels My gym class is a joke. My teacher's a headcase that thinks everyone should already be in shape by high school even...

My gym teacher is a sadist who loves making the fat kids run laps until they're about to puke. One day we were playing soccer and I slammed my head really hard against a piece of metal sticking out of the bleachers. I was having trouble breathing and my classmates thought I might have a concussion, but he didn't want to let me go to the nurse and I finally just went without his permission. Another boy fell off a rope and broke his arm during class and the teacher yelled at him for being clumsy while EMTs were helping him into an ambulance.

FlyingGuineaPigs avatar FlyingGuineaPig Yeah You Are +7Reply

Lololololol "a break." I don't know what kind of easy, no work required P.E. classes you're all in, but mine is like this: 45 minutes of weight training, 45 of cardio, and then half an hour of a sport. That isn't what I consider a break. And it's two hours long (if you didn't add that together already). A/B schedule. And, yes, this is the required.

@Lololololol "a break." I don't know what kind of easy, no work required P.E. classes you're all in, but mine is...

I personally use gym class to work out my frustrations. It's helpful. It might not be "easy" or "fun" all the time, but your moving and not really thinking all that hard.

All you had to do at my school is wear shorts or sweatpants in the school colors. The only thing we did was play basketball, and the same guys always took over the whole court. I just used the class to do homework.

God forbid some people actually lose some weight. If you're in the US and part of the 67% (around there) of the people who are obese/overweight, GO RUN. I'm sick of our country being looked at as lazy and the joke of the world.

Mikes avatar Mike No Way +2Reply

I honestly think that gym class should be required for all 4 years in high school. That's just me though

My counselor lets people have a P.E. waver if you want to take a different class....

Gym class teaches a healthy lifestyle and teamwork. You may not use the individual rules you learn, but it's important to get exercise instead of sitting at a desk all day. Besides, it can be a fun way to play a sport with friends.
Also, I'm on my school's field hockey team.

Our school has a 1 semester PE waiver for marching band and certain dance classes.

I hated gym, I was so glad when it was over. I had it for two years. The first year I had it at 7 am and the teacher didn't want to be there, and neither did we, so we walked around the track 4 times then did our homework; there was no point in us being there and I would have benefited more from an extra hour of sleep. The second year I had it during the normal school day so we actually had to try, but mostly it consisted in going to our nasty, stinky, poorly maintained weight room and pretending to work out, or running, which I hated because it made me sweaty for the rest of the day, and I have always been a bad runner, no matter how good of shape I'm in. And no, running a mile once a week did not improve my overall fitness. It didn't benefit me at all. And if you were in a sport you didn't have to do it, so being seen in your gym uniform was a sign that you were not cool or athletic, adding to the humiliation of wearing shorts with your last name on the butt.

My high school doesn't have PE class at all. We do have a bunch of sports, a dance club, etc, though. And surprisingly, there seriously aren't many fat kids at the school.

Why would you want to take it away? I've been to a high school where we had it twice a week, and one where they didn't even have the subject. Phys Ed is fun, we used to swim, and play new sports and games. So you're running around during said games, you must be really lazy if that bothers you.

well,it's not always healthy,I mean,I'm 42 kilos,and I'm 167 cm,so I don't want to do more exercise,whenI'm trying to get some more fat! and they won't let me switch class

gym is to teach people to be fit and like doing sport i guess

imma_dancers avatar imma_dancer Yeah You Are -3Reply