+411

Cars should come with colored headlights of your choosing; yellow and white get kinda boring. If they were to do that, all the interstates would look like Christmas every night! amirite?

Brunettie91s avatar
2 18
The voters have decided that Brunettie91 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

No, there are unwritten (as far I know..) rules to that. Headlights are white because if it's dark and you see white lights showing in your direction, you can bet there's a car facing you, possibly moving in your direction. (Have you ever noticed that when a car is in reverse, white lights light up on the back of the car?) Taillights are red so we can make the same assumptions except with the back of a car.

Plus, if christmas lights are shining behind you and it's not christmas, you probably have a cop pulling you over.

Meekos avatar Meeko No Way +13Reply

In cali, its illegal. Its an unsafe distraction.

wow. i cant believe you didn't even WONDER why they're the same color, and just assumed that it was tradition...

It seems dangerous.

If you google colored headlights you can find a bunch of different colored one's...

every colour has a meaning

red = stop
blue = stay clear
yellow = caution
purple = yield

just a few examples

@SalientK There are some newer cars with blue headlights, though.

Bluish, they are still considered white, there are older cars with yellowish headlights.

@amiwriter Bluish, they are still considered white, there are older cars with yellowish headlights.

Well then that opens the floodgates for all kinds of "colorish" headlights. Also, the older yellow headlights might just be due to age or a dirty covering.

@SalientK Well then that opens the floodgates for all kinds of "colorish" headlights. Also, the older yellow headlights might...

actually it has everything to do with the gas inside the bulbs, Halogen lamps give off warm hues, Xenon lamps give off cooler hues. If there is a filter on the lamps, then it is illegal.

Have you ever sat inside a car with these headlights? It's the closest colour to daylight you can get, about 4000 Kelvin. And because of the projector style headlamp it makes and degree you look at them from except exactly where they're pointing look blue-ish. The higher temperature you go (5000,6000,etc) the more blue, then purple they get, the lower you go, the more yellow they get. It is illegal to have any temperature but 4000K. There's an exact number but I can't remember it off hand.

@el_scorcho Have you ever sat inside a car with these headlights? It's the closest colour to daylight you can get, about 4000...

You mean have I ever sat inside of a car with blue headlights, or discolored ones? I've sat in both. Since the cars with blue headlights tend to be newer luxury models, I think it's more due to a stylistic tint rather than a temperature defect.

@SalientK You mean have I ever sat inside of a car with blue headlights, or discolored ones? I've sat in both. Since the cars...

its not for style, theyre HID's, or high intensity discharge headlights. A 35 watt HID bulb will give off about 300% more than a 55 watt standard headlight, last on average ten times longer, because road vibration doesnt effect these bulbs like halogens. the colour you see as a passer by just has to do with the angle youre looking at the headlights from, the projector lens make a prism, with blue being predominant from most angles, but white being predominant from the correct angle.

@el_scorcho its not for style, theyre HID's, or high intensity discharge headlights. A 35 watt HID bulb will give off about...

I guess that's partially true, but it raises the question as to why they are advertised as blue.

@SalientK I guess that's partially true, but it raises the question as to why they are advertised as blue.

thats just so they can sell them to stupid ricers who think the blue looks cool, they usually sell them at 8000K which is almost purple; which is what i have on my car currently haha, but i get pulled over all the time for them because technically, they are illegal unless they are 4000K

@el_scorcho thats just so they can sell them to stupid ricers who think the blue looks cool, they usually sell them at 8000K...

If they are illegal, then why do some respectable cars come pre-equipped with them? (Sorry I keep dragging this out, I'm just curious.)

@SalientK If they are illegal, then why do some respectable cars come pre-equipped with them? (Sorry I keep dragging this...

they aren't illegal if they are at 4000K (its some other exact number thats about 4000 so dont quote me on that) and if they come out of the factory with the vehicle. anything above 4000 turns more blue (illegal) anything below turns yellow (illegal except for fog lights) the 4000 degrees kelvin produces a pure white beam thats as close to daylight as possible, but still looks almost blue. a cop can tell what temperature it is by holding their hand in the beam and seeing if there hands has a blue tint, or pure white. so really its just how much of a dbag the cops gonna be. if your thinkin about any temperature i say go for it, makes a huuuge difference

It makes and degree? I deleted half my sentence bahaha