BreakfastFans avatar
27 47

When I first read this I thought to myself, "Discovery of the year? It's only the beginning of the year!" Then I realized it was October... god this year has gone fast...

Oh and just think if there is intelligent life on that planet, what if they're just now discovering us? Or they already knew about us... gets your mind thinking.

Sweet. Now all we have to do is find a method of traveling faster than light.

Way faster than light.

That is, if we want to wreck more planets than just Earth.

@I_Hate_Underscores Sweet. Now all we have to do is find a method of traveling faster than light. Way faster than light. That is, if...

We wouldn't have to go faster then light since it's only 20 light years away, but we would still have to go very very very fast. And something tells me that by the time we develop that technology, we will be past our "wrecking" phase.

BreakfastFans avatar BreakfastFan Yeah You Are +19Reply
@BreakfastFan We wouldn't have to go faster then light since it's only 20 light years away, but we would still have to go very...

OMG you guys are so dumb, a light year isn't one year it's a measure of distance. One light year is 6 trillion miles. We will probably never ever develop technology to travel 6 trillion times 20 miles and survive, let alone send back information or people.

@Janae17 OMG you guys are so dumb, a light year isn't one year it's a measure of distance. One light year is 6 trillion...

and dear if you travel at the speed of light how much time does it takes to cover a distance me 6 trillion miles? Because i think he said that we would probably develop a technology that would allow us to move in space at such a velocity.

I hope so too. And you're right also that it would take a long time to be able to travel at near-light speed. Of course, there's the question of how we would be able to sustain life in space for over 20 years, but I'm sure we'll have worked that out by then too.

@I_Hate_Underscores I hope so too. And you're right also that it would take a long time to be able to travel at near-light speed. Of...

We wouldn't need to go into space for 20 years. To get there in a lifetime, we would have to go at relativistic speed, meaning time would go extremely slow, feeling for us like a matter of months or even a few years, while, depending on our speed (because it's impossible to go faster than the speed of light) it would really be over 20 years for us to travel.

Really? Wow. But you're right, the media are more interested in the fact that Megan Fox has had plastic surgery who cares) than anything like this.

Grilled_Cheesuss avatar Grilled_Cheesus Yeah You Are +15Reply

GUYS!!! Lady Gaga just ate a muffin!!!!! OMG!!

As a journalist, I'm trying to bring real news stories to my college paper, not just ones that are lame and uninformative. The media's job is to provide fair, accurate stories that intrigue the reader and give them information helpful to their lives. People need to remember this and get back to real reporting, instead of trashy tabloids. /rant

PirateQueens avatar PirateQueen Yeah You Are +10Reply

Holy shit, really?

@jesse_james Holy shit, really?

Took the words straight outta my mouth

Hehe, Goldilocks! Because it's "just right". I'm sorry, but I cannot get over how perfectly this new planet has been named.

isomorphics avatar isomorphic Yeah You Are +8Reply
@isomorphic Hehe, Goldilocks! Because it's "just right". I'm sorry, but I cannot get over how perfectly this new planet has...

Noo that's not the name of the planet. That's just a "cute" name for the habitable zone of any star because it IS just right for liquid water. The planet is just called Gliese 581 g for now.

@Noo that's not the name of the planet. That's just a "cute" name for the habitable zone of any star because it IS...

I am quite aware that's not the actual name, I am just in love with the fact they are calling it Goldilocks, for the moment being. It's quite a clever nickname. :3

isomorphics avatar isomorphic Yeah You Are 0Reply

Dude. Thanks for sharing. F'reals.

That's so awesome. Hopefully the future is like Futurama...

Who says life needs water and light to survive? I mean yeah, that's how it is on Earth, but what if lifeforms on other planets don't need water or sunlight?

I always thought it would be named 'Pandora', after all of them movies (Not just Avatar) would name a second Earth; 'Pandora'

@701069

Link?

BreakfastFans avatar BreakfastFan Yeah You Are 0Reply

Too bad one half of its always light while the other is always dark.

@Too bad one half of its always light while the other is always dark.

Earth, too, is always half light and half dark. It's called day and night. O_o

That doesn't mean that it can't have life, even intelligent.

BreakfastFans avatar BreakfastFan Yeah You Are +7Reply

Actually, it could give life a better chance because everything is more stable. Somewhere along the terminator (border between night and day) temperatures would probably be moderate pretty much all of the time.

Goldilocks, isn't it? What kind of name is that?
Anyway, I personally don't feel comfortable with the idea of living on another planet. :|

How does it have more than a 50% chance at harboring life?

@wobbuffet How does it have more than a 50% chance at harboring life?

Because it's not too cold or too hot, and it could have water.

Evalyns avatar Evalyn Yeah You Are +5Reply
@Evalyn Because it's not too cold or too hot, and it could have water.

It's more likely bacteria and fungi that will be there, but hey, that's better than a bunch of rocks.

But until we discover a planet that actually harbors life, how could we possibly conclude that a planet has a 50% chance at harboring live.

It's one thing to say a planet has the possibility of harboring life.

@wobbuffet But until we discover a planet that actually harbors life, how could we possibly conclude that a planet has a 50%...

Whether or not it has life hinges on whether or not it has water. If it does, then the odds are almost 100% that it has life. If it doesn't, the odds go very low, but still not zero. There is a good chance that it has water, but because there are so many things we don't know, I just said "above 50%".

Lemme guess. Is your source for this gizmag.com? That's where I found out about it like three days ago.

OMG you guys are dumb, a light year isn't one year it's a measure of distance. One light year is 6 trillion miles. We will probably never develop technology to travel 6 trillion times 20 miles and survive, let alone send back information or people.

@Janae17 OMG you guys are dumb, a light year isn't one year it's a measure of distance. One light year is 6 trillion miles...

(Janae17):We understand that... And I see no reason why we won't be able to do that eventually. It will take time, but humans have always found ways to get stuff done. People from 200 years ago would have said that we will probably never develop the technology to instantaneously send these messages back and forth to each other.

BreakfastFans avatar BreakfastFan Yeah You Are +2Reply

This news isn't that new. I read about Gliese 581 g about three years ago and even wrote a paper on it. I even suspected your post was talking about that planet. But yeah, if you just heard about it then it's really under reported.

@This news isn't that new. I read about Gliese 581 g about three years ago and even wrote a paper on it. I even...

The discovery of G was announced on september 29th of this year, so unless you have inside info, then no you didn't. You might have done it about another planet in the Gilese system though.

Too long, didn't read.

@lazy ass

Haha I'm not denying that uh-tall

Anonymous