+487

out of all badass star names in the universe such as pollux, sirius, betelgeuse, cephei, etc. we call our star, Sun. cool. amirite?

constantinoples avatar
14 20
The voters have decided that constantinople is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

But I do like that our galaxy is called "the milky way"...mmmm chocolate

And our solar system is 'the solar system'.

@killingfireflies And our solar system is 'the solar system'.

(imsorry:(): @639288 (killingfireflies): "the" being placed before our solar system and galaxy makes our solar system and galaxy seem more significant compared to other obviously LESS important solar systems or galaxies.

Shadis avatar Shadi No Way +1Reply
@Shadi (imsorry:(): @639288 (killingfireflies): "the" being placed before our solar system and galaxy makes our solar...

(Chauncy Pickles): Well, our galaxy does have a name... most people just don't use it.

@(Chauncy Pickles): Well, our galaxy does have a name... most people just don't use it.

I am aware. The name of our galaxy is in the post below me.

Shadis avatar Shadi No Way 0Reply

All the good names were taken by the Noble House of Black

@All the good names were taken by the Noble House of Black

I was totally thinking of Harry Potter when I read this post.

i think it's a pretty good name, i mean it's short so people can't misspell it and all

@i think it's a pretty good name, i mean it's short so people can't misspell it and all

Unless they spell it like 'son' hahaha. Which I'm sure someone has...

Actually, our sun is called "Sol", hence the term SOLar system. That's just been generalized to include every system of planets revolving around a star

Our star IS a sun. It doesn't need a name to have its existance established in the astronomical community. You're just jealous because you don't understand the poeticism that stems from the lack of a name.

Shadis avatar Shadi No Way -2Reply
@Shadi Our star IS a sun. It doesn't need a name to have its existance established in the astronomical community. You're...

(Chauncy Pickles): Our Sun is a star you mean. There's only one Sun. There are hundreds of trillions of stars.

@(Chauncy Pickles): Our Sun is a star you mean. There's only one Sun. There are hundreds of trillions of stars.

No, I meant we didn't name our star Sun. I meant our star actually is a sun. And there isn't only ONE sun. Red Giants exist throughout the universe.

Shadis avatar Shadi No Way +1Reply
Anonymous