+296

You can't think of 10 reasons to be against uniforms, amirite?

AppAwesomes avatar
1 65
The voters have decided that AppAwesome is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

1. they are uncomfortable
2.they are uncomfortable
3.they are uncomfortable
4.they are uncomfortable
5.they are uncomfortable
6.they are uncomfortable
7.they are uncomfortable
8.they are uncomfortable
9.they are uncomfortable
10.they are uncomfortable

Pedo_Cats avatar Pedo_Cat No Way +43Reply

Can you think of 10 reasons to be for uniforms?

@StephanieIsAmazing Can you think of 10 reasons to be for uniforms?

1. Save money on clothing
2.Uniforms will cut down on teasing and cliques
3. Schools will be safe from outsiders because you would be able to easily identify who belongs and who doesn't.
4. Parents will no longer have to buy designer labels
5. Students can still wear whatever the hell they want after school, at home, etc. They don't take away from individuality.
6. They're less distracting.
7. "regular clothing'' could be used as an incentive (once a month they can wear what they want)
8. Many studies have shown that school uniforms improve test scores.
9. They encourage discipline.
10. They give a sense of belonging and school spirit to a school.

Normas avatar Norma Yeah You Are +52Reply
@Norma 1. Save money on clothing 2.Uniforms will cut down on teasing and cliques 3. Schools will be safe from outsiders...

You can't use 1 and 5 in the same argument. It's not saving any money on clothing if parents now have to buy school uniforms AND "fashionable clothes" for after school.

ooh...I never looked at it that way..
I was about to be screaming individuality and stripping away freedom, but the benefits of discipline and test scores etc...

4. ...what?
5. That's not a reason to support uniforms, it's just a reason not to be against them. Although it's weak anyways.

@4. ...what? 5. That's not a reason to support uniforms, it's just a reason not to be against them. Although it's...

Taking away individuality is the biggest argument for anti-uniforms but they really don't take away individuality. It's not like you can't wear regular clothing outside of school.

I just realized that 4 is the same as 1 except worded differently so I replace number four with this new reason: you may have to wear a uniform at your job when you enter the real world so you would be getting used to wearing the uniform.

Normas avatar Norma Yeah You Are 0Reply

10 reasons against your reasons.
1. Have you seen the price tag for uniforms?
2. Doesn't help at all, from my experience.
3. This rule does not apply to dress down days, adults who look professional, and people who waltz right in and start shooting.
4. See above. Also, my school lets people choose shoes, jewlery, and even polos- all of which can be designer.
5. Individuality, well everyone knows the augument against this one and, personality, I think it's bull. Score 1.
6. Yeah, especially when the teachers stop in the middle of class to say,"Button that shirt up, zipper your jumper," etc.
7. Incentive for raising money? At public school, that's what hat day is for. Besides, my school has plenty of incentives for raising money like raffles and such.
8. Maybe this is because, gasp, most people who go to private school care about being there, or their parents do.
9.Encourage disipline for what/of what?
10. This is not the case. It depends on the type of person.

@kimmyy 10 reasons against your reasons. 1. Have you seen the price tag for uniforms? 2. Doesn't help at all, from my...

1. You only need to buy them once, and most schools have a thing where people donate their clothes and other who are new get them. Thus, very few pay after the 1st year.
2. Can't tease about having weird clothes
3. Dress down days are the same as days without uniforms. Therefore, what you are saying is toward uniforms.
5. Government doesn't let me be naked either.
6. Happens without uniforms.
7. Look at #1
8. It doesn't have to be a private school.

AppAwesomes avatar AppAwesome Yeah You Are +4Reply
@AppAwesome 1. You only need to buy them once, and most schools have a thing where people donate their clothes and other who...

8. If it is not a private school, the parents are sending them there on their own money. This would signify that they could buy semi-expensive clothes.
7. I do not understand.
6. Happens with them, and it is something you can get straight detention for, in some situations.
5. I said that he was right on this one.
3. There were other examples.
2. No, but you can still be teased about how you look in them, your overall personality, your grades, your views, your ideas. Or pretty much every other thing possible.
1. Uniforms change, I would never buy a used gym uniform (but that's just me), uniforms can still be expensive (this is particularly true if you are very low income and used to paying low prices for clothing)

1. It takes time away from learning because teachers have to focus on dress code instead of education
2. It would take tons of time and money from the school
3. It takes away our individuality
4. It leaves to many "gray areas". Can students personalize theirs? What do you consider personalizing?
5. It really doesnt solve any problems
6. They might not be safe for a chemistry or biology lab
7. How can you distinguish different clubs, sports, etc. if they cant wear T shirts?
8. Differences such as height, weight, hair, etc. will stand out more and kids will get made fun of more (esp if theyre unflattering)
9. It would cost students too much money
10. They couldnt buy a uniform that fits every body type just right

To be fair, can you give me 10 reasons why we SHOULD have uniforms?

@1. It takes time away from learning because teachers have to focus on dress code instead of education 2. It would...

(Life(:): I had a uniform the entire time I was in high school so there are a few problems with your reasons
1. teachers didn't spend time worry about uniforms, if you were out of dress code they sent you to the office, it takes 5 seconds.
2. the school doesn't pay for them and I don't know how it would take them time?
3. clothes don't make a person different, their personality does. Hair, socks, and jewelry can also show individuality
4. there are no gray area because it's simply, this is what you wear. period. We're talking about uniforms, not a dress code
5. it makes a school look more professional and teachers have said they notice that students who wear uniforms are more calm than those who can wear "regular" clothes
6. Might not be safe for a chemistry lab? HELLO that's what coats and gloves are for. You have to wear that anyways no matter if you're in jeans or not.
7. Why would you have to distinguish between clubs? You can wear those shirts on jeans days

(Life(:): 8. it's called a bigger or smaller size. and people don't make fun of you because they are wearing the exact same thing! that's the point
9. The price of uniforms compared to the price of going school shopping for "regular" clothes is pretty much the same
10.that is along the lines of 8 and ummm people have a hard time going to the store to find clothes there that fit them right. We never had a problem

@(Life(:): 8. it's called a bigger or smaller size. and people don't make fun of you because they are wearing the...

but, for weekends and after school you still have to buy regular clothes so uniforms only add to the cost and if you are from a low income family, then it isnt very likely you will have enough for both. and on top of that, they dont look good on most people. you would get made fun of still for looking fat in your uniform than having "non-designer" clothes. no one gives a fuck about whether your clothes are designer. it just depends on how they look on.

@but, for weekends and after school you still have to buy regular clothes so uniforms only add to the cost and if...

Actually, a lot of people do care if your clothes are designer or not. I guess the payoff for me is that I was able to have a very high education going to a private school. I would go through those four years all over again wearing a uniform if it meant I didn't have to go to a public school.

@Actually, a lot of people do care if your clothes are designer or not. I guess the payoff for me is that I was able...

as long as your clothes look good, no one cares where they are from, and of course, you are most likely just a rich, private school snobby bitch. public school is just as good as private school, we learn the same stuff. it just depends on the school on how good it is.

@as long as your clothes look good, no one cares where they are from, and of course, you are most likely just a...

Are you calling me a snobby bitch? Yes, public schools can give a very good education, depending (like you said) on the school and the classes you are in. As far as I know though, we learn different subjects especially in history. But this could be because my school is Catholic so we learn a lot about religion history. Also, physics is freshman year, than chem, then bio, then AP whatever which is different from the public highschools in my area.

People don't make fun of someone because of the clothes they are wearing, but because it looks unflattering, on that specific person.

kimmyys avatar kimmyy No Way -1Reply
@kimmyy People don't make fun of someone because of the clothes they are wearing, but because it looks unflattering, on...

Uniforms are not intended to make people look good. No one is going to say it looks unflattering on someone else because most likely it's unflattering on them too.

@Uniforms are not intended to make people look good. No one is going to say it looks unflattering on someone else...

I am not saying make fun of them. I am saying that there are still plenty of reasons why people could.

(Life(:): At my school, they probably would spend more time telling girls that they're showing too much cleavage or their shoulders are showing. If there was uniforms they'd all be the same and follow by the dress codes.

1. A uniform check in the morning during homeroom when nothing is being done solves that problem. If it is during class, it is a quick tuck in your shirt or your skirt is too skirt.
2. It takes a bit of time to pick out a uniform, but after that parents have to pay for them. Trust me they do not cost that much.
3. Get a new argument. You can express yourself through personality, hair, makeup, shoes, and jewelry.
4. How it a gray area? You mist have this color polo and this color bottom. They have to be purchases from a specific store and must be in good condition.
5. How doesn't solve any problems? No thinking about what to wear or "fitting in"
6. How is a polo any different than a tshirt as far as being safe in a lab?
7. We have letter jackets for football. Sweaters that say cheer for cheerleaders. All other sports, clubs, and band have hoodies that have the name of the club written on them.
8. It is understood that uniforms don't fit everyone the same. How can a polo be anymore unflattering than any other shirt? How will hair stand out because of the clothes you are wearing? People are going to made fun of no matter what if the people want to make it happen.
9. They last a v...

Mj1996s avatar Mj1996 Yeah You Are 0Reply

individuality, kids will find ways to personalize it, bullying won't stop, costs of uniforms, cost to clean them every night, quanity may not be enough for kids to have more than one, self-esteem kids may have will decrease, readyness to make switch to uniforms, affect of students who keep uniforms nicer, and they are stiff as hell when new.

@individuality, kids will find ways to personalize it, bullying won't stop, costs of uniforms, cost to clean them...

(Nostalgia-man):
"cost of uniforms" Cost of normal clothes> Cost of uniforms.
Who only buys 1 uniform? affect of students who keep uniforms nicer?? Personalize it isn't a reason to be against uniforms.

AppAwesomes avatar AppAwesome Yeah You Are +6Reply
@HugARock My school uniform is sooo expensive. 60$ for a cardigan.

OMG! I thought ours were expensive at $28! Our polos are like $20 though and they don't last more than a year.

@AppAwesome (Nostalgia-man): "cost of uniforms" Cost of normal clothes> Cost of uniforms. Who only buys 1 uniform? affect of...

sheep herd.
'nuff said.
but just in case, you shouldn't HAVE to dress the same as everyone else and conform to their standards. You shouldn't be FORCED.
But dress codes and rules regarding what is appropriate should be enforced.

yea. BUT you use it for more than one year. each year you have to buy new clothes every year. I've had the same uniform and used it for 8 years because I used it, then my sister, then we are gonna give it to someone else who will need it.

I have a khaki skirt and a plaid wrap around skort. I wore the same skirt for 2 years. I also alternate a navy and a white polo. That is it. They last me about a year and a half each. My skirts are soft now and still look new. They lose their stiffness after a few washes. It's not like we have uniforms for PE, so we never get sweaty in them.

@1106401

No, it's not defined, but clothes can enhance your personality. Some people like to express themselves through clothing.

@1106401

Some see fashion as an art form, actually. Can you say that a musician isn't defined by their music or an author by the words they write? Not 'defined' as in 'this is strictly who you are', but a way to express yourself.

@1106401

Yes, you can express yourself through your clothing. And if you feel that way, that's just you not being sensible. The lack of uniforms is not to blame.
Honestly I don't ever see kids bullied for their clothes anyways, but even if they did, uniforms don't stop those kids from bullying others. There's always other things to pick on. Like the way some kids may look in the uniforms. Or their weight. Or face. Ya know, whatever.

Being on the debate team, I could probably find pros and cons in both~~
Pros:
1. Easier to get dressed in the morning
2. Don't have to spend as much on keeping up with trends
3. Unity within the school
4. You don't have to worry about length or anything as much
5. Show school pride
6. Possibly more money to the school, depending on if they make a profit for the uniforms
7. Guys dig chicks in uniforms [in the words of Fez, they like corrupting Donna] , and girls love a man in uniform~~
8. People will feel less pressure for not having the trendiest clothes [I got a lot of shit in 6th grade for not having Abercrombie]
9. You'll be more appreciative of new clothes you get
10. You'll learn how to express your individuality in other ways
Cons:
1. Individuality is restricted in other ways
2. What about families that can't afford uniforms?
3. Based on what my former Catholic student friends said, they're uncomfortable.
4. When altering the outfit is too far, such as hitching up skirts or...

@Katffro Being on the debate team, I could probably find pros and cons in both~~ Pros: 1. Easier to get dressed in the...

...pulling pants below boxers
5. People notice other flaws, such as blemishes. You keep seeing the same clothes, so stuff like that sticks out.
6. You won't know what clothing style you do like. Less shopping = less examining other styles
7. Some people might be uncomfortable with the styles. i.e. Sweatervests are too restricting or the skirts are too revealing
8. Teachers might look for any screwups in the uniform rather than teach. A lot of teachers would be strict with how they dress
9. It'd be difficult to show your pride if you're on a sports team and want to wear your sports uniform the day of/before an event [like most public schools do]
10. We're already telling students how to behave, think, work, etc. Can we also tell them how to dress? Is that TOO restricting??

I go to a school with uniforms and before a big game, our school lets that team dress in their uniforms. Wearing uniforms isn't as bad as it's cracked out to be. They're not THAT uncomfortable, either.

I wish I had uniforms at my school. Everyone here is so materialistic and shit.

@I wish I had uniforms at my school. Everyone here is so materialistic and shit.

Then just wear the same outfit every day, it'll feel like you have a uniform. :P Everyone else won't look the same, but you'll have the uniform-wearing experience. :P

my school has uniforms and its really not thaaat bad, we have days where we can wear our own clothes and stuff, its just as expensive as normal clothes, if you look hard enough you can find uniform that fits your shape, all those reasons above about how uniforms suck are unrealistic and stupid : /

@my school has uniforms and its really not thaaat bad, we have days where we can wear our own clothes and stuff, its...

You're lucky then. Some uniforms are very expensive and inconvenient, and in some cases they won't actually have ones small enough or big enough.

When I was younger I went to a school with a uniform, my mum had to iron folds into the skirt every single night, the jumper was itchy, and I had to wear just the skirt with tights underneath it, even though it was freezing in winter. :/

OOoh I just wrote a paper on this. Most of my reasons have been mentioned exept two:
1) Some schools will suspend or even expel their students if they do not wear their uniforms. It doesn't matter if your grades are excellent. After seeing their classmates get so severely punished, I think students would be afraid to express their individallity. I know I would.

2) Uniforms tell kids that they must follow standards, even if they don't agree with them. Todays schools are filled with future artists, musicians, polititians, etc. and these jobs need people with their own opinions. Who are you to deny kids their right dress the way they want? We are limited enough already!

Honestly I like having a uniform. They make getting ready easy in the morning, and honestly no one cares about how anyone looks, zits and hair included (of course, I go to an all-girl school so that may contribute...). If I had to actually get dressed and do hair and makeup in the morning I wouldn't be able to function.

I just have to say no because for every good reason there is a bad reason and for every bad there is a good

At the typical age that someone is on amirite, they probably wouldn't have much effect. Everyone already knows everyone else in a school (provided that everyone has spent all their time in the same school district), and will still discriminate based on past experience.

Besides, a change in outfit doesn't necessarily mean a change in character. For example, some white shirt and blue tie isn't going to make a drug addict any less addicted to said substances (heroin, cocaine, etc.), and a person's intelligence level won't change either.

My point: Start uniforms early or never start at all.

Conclusion:

Wear whatever the fuck you want, as long as it is appropiate enough.

You wouldn't know if everyone is wearing clean clothes for the most part...

@1106399

Actually according to quite a few girls I have known wearing skirts or dresses is more comfortable then pants. Plus it gives guys the opportunity to try the infamous skirt flip.

For me, my uniform has so many choices,
so really, it isn't much easier to get dressed in the morning. :S

In my highschool the dress code really wasn't that bad. Girls had to wear either a khaki or navy blue skirt with any collared shirt and guys had to wear khaki or navy blue pants with any collared shirt. There's still tons of room for individuality yet everyone looks professional.

At my school, it's like the uniform is jeans and a sweatshirt. For girls and boys.

AppAwesomes avatar AppAwesome Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1106702

ha, civilian clothing. That's what I feel like. Everyone in my town knows our uniforms so whenever I walk in someplace people always comment.

Why should we need 10? The point is, uniforms eliminate the individual's freedom to express themselves. It's just about limiting people's freedoms, taking away their rights. And really for nothing.

They're uncomfortable
they're stupid looking
they're uncomfortable
they're stupid looking
they're uncomfortable
they're stupid looking
they're uncomfortable
they're stupid looking
they're uncomfortable
they're stupid looking
THERE ARE THE TEN REASONS

rawriamtori98s avatar rawriamtori98 Yeah You Are -8Reply