+558

Why is it considered racist when you refer to a black person as black? I mean, it's already awkward enough when you have to be all "The African-American over there", amirite?

calics avatar
3 30
The voters have decided that calic is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

They call me "white". Why should it be a double standard?

Katffros avatar Katffro Yeah You Are +11Reply

It's considered racist? Myself, a black individual, and my black friends did not realize this. I'll let them know that we should be offended at that. Seriously, though, we throw around "nigger" like "hello," and take no offense when anybody else follows suit. I think America just might need a chill pill...

Not all black people come from Africa! Also, there are white people from Africa. Do you call them "African American" too?

Its not racist. Its only racist if you say "I hate black people" but the same goes for if you say "I hate african americans" or any other race. Black is just like a slang term, not a 'racist' one

@chickensarecool01 Its not racist. Its only racist if you say "I hate black people" but the same goes for if you say "I hate african...

I know, but some people just freak out and be all "DATS RACIST~!" when you refer to a black guy as.. well, a black guy. I have no idea why.

You're lucky you haven't seen it yet.

calics avatar calic Yeah You Are +2Reply

I think it would be worse to be called African american. People don't call me a German american. Jis sayin'.

In my AP Geography class someone was talking about people who live in Africa, and called them African Americans to be respectful, I guess. It was awkward...
I don't know, but I don't think it's racist. It's not like you think your race is better just because you're trying to identify someone by saying they're black.

Shrimplings avatar Shrimpling Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Shrimpling In my AP Geography class someone was talking about people who live in Africa, and called them African Americans to...

They called people who aren't American African American? I think even people who consider Black to be racist would rather be called Black.

@848949

white people aren't white, either -.-
I'm pretty close though D: My friend always calls me "Sour cream" d smilie

Montezumas avatar Montezuma Yeah You Are 0Reply
@849372

...whatever D:
d smilie Not really. He's ASIAN and he's tanner than me! DX
So I just call him "asian".
...It's not quite as catchy. :l

Whoever said it was racist?

I never said I haven't seen it, plenty of people do it, but they're theignorant ones and I'm just saying what I think. Its not racist but they like to think it is because a lot of black people like to play the "race card" and be victims

Black people have lost much of their authentic heritage due to slavery; so it is more proper, in my opinion, to calll them black over african american. An african american could be a white immigrant from south africa, but a black man is descendant of any native african tribe and has been naturalized into the american culture over the last 300 years. Slavery changed the world more than we could anticipate.

Have people not even looked at the most top rated amirite?

@Kaitlyn Have people not even looked at the most top rated amirite?

i'm sure they have, and there are noticable differences between the two posts.

derp.

When's the last time, you saw a Mexican and said, "Hey look at that brown guy", a Chinese guy and said, "There goes another yellow fellow", or a Native American and went, "Hey red guy" HMMM?

@calic And when's the last time I talked about those three ethnicities? :u

I don't know... I'm just saying, if you don't call those people by their colours, then you are in fact being racist....

@KickAss I don't know... I'm just saying, if you don't call those people by their colours, then you are in fact being racist....

Why is it racist if you don't call everyone by colors? You're just referring to their ethnicity in different ways. (Yeah, I know black people aren't actually black, but white people aren't actually white either. Oh well.) That's like saying if you call one person a redhead, then call another person 'that person with black hair', you're being biased.

Still, I'm only talking about black people.

And I'm not racist against any of the people you mentioned, either. :u

Still, you can't really tell if someone is racist or not unless you actually know about the ethnicity of their friends, themselves, and stuff like that.

calics avatar calic Yeah You Are 0Reply
@calic Still, I'm only talking about black people. And I'm not racist against any of the people you mentioned, either...

You can have friends of different ethnicities and still be racist.... I mean I'm friends with some people I hate, but I don't say anything, because they're friends with my other friends (that I actually like) and I don't want to ruin our friendship.... Besides those minorities can be dangerous, if you say anything, they'll kill ya!

@KickAss When's the last time, you saw a Mexican and said, "Hey look at that brown guy", a Chinese guy and said, "There goes...

People often refer to a Caucasian male as being a "white guy." Using a physical characteristic to differentiate between one person and another is in no way racist.

haha I don't think it's racist, but at the same time you would NEVER hear someone go, "Hey, you see that guy over there.. the white guy?"