+750

It sucks that people blame the President for everything, when in reality, the President doesn't have any real power at all (can push for new laws, that's about it). The Senate basically runs the country, we just vote every four years for someone new to blame, amirite?

adams avatar
14 14
The voters have decided that adam is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Sad but true. Although the power to deploy the U.S. Military for 90 days without senate permission is a huge power.

BreakfastFans avatar BreakfastFan Yeah You Are +14Reply

The President has plenty of power. People who are ignorant of how our government works don't really understand that he can't just "do something" as far as law and policy changes without Congress, but that isn't the only way to throw your weight around... and he's a super-heavyweight.

By that logic, Bush was a great president. I mean, look at all the things we got to blame him for!

FlyingGuineaPigs avatar FlyingGuineaPig Yeah You Are +1Reply

I said the exact same thing today. According to our school newspaper, 17% of kids at my school in a particularly liberal area blamed the poorly run government on Obama. I just laughed, because I know the president doesn't have any real power.

Ethans avatar Ethan Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1953812

While I agree with that, i'm talking about issues in america, not the drone war in the middle east. And yes, he can veto bills, but congress still is responsible for the bills that pass and change our society

Ethans avatar Ethan Yeah You Are 0Reply

It's allllll Congress, baby. The president is the federal government's spokesperson, and despite what Americans are led to believe today, he is not the big cheese.

No not really. Over the years the President's power has increased tremendously. For example he appoints people to a slew of federal agencies without the consent of congress. His executive orders are also a quasi-legislative ability. Through his appointments, he can dictate how the country is run, for example controlling the military and public education.

@VictoryAAC No not really. Over the years the President's power has increased tremendously. For example he appoints people to a...

That's true, but I think that the OP means that the President doesn't controll everything the way that some critics would have you beleive (this is true for Bush and Obama and previous presidents, they have all been both praised and blamed for things that they didn't actually do).

BreakfastFans avatar BreakfastFan Yeah You Are +5Reply
@BreakfastFan That's true, but I think that the OP means that the President doesn't controll everything the way that some critics...

I agree, I think that the President is really the face of the problems when in actuality, they aren't always his fault (though he does support the decisions, I mean he has to sign the bill, unless he vetoes it, which hasn't happened much recently). But the part I was disagreeing with was the part about not having real power. I think that the President does have real power, just not in the way we usually think.