-398

it should be mandatory for anyone seeking an office that affects the general public to have served at least one enlistment/commission in the military, amirite?

N8TheGr8s avatar
1 37
The voters have decided that N8TheGr8 is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Some of the best presidents never served military time, including Lincoln and Kennedy. But I definitely see your point. If the president is going to send people off to war, then he/she needs to know what war is like.

@eldorito Some of the best presidents never served military time, including Lincoln and Kennedy. But I definitely see your...

You're kidding right? JFK is well known for being a Naval Lieutenant who served in World War II. Also, Lincoln was a militia man...but if you are being sarcastic (the troll face), then well done.

adams avatar adam Yeah You Are 0Reply

If the job doesn't have an extreme relation to military, they shouldn't.
But, as Stepharoo said, the president should have some understanding of the military.
Maybe not SERVE, but have extensive knowledge.

Why?

chris9s avatar chris9 No Way +7Reply

So someone running for a school board needs to have a military background? I don't see how that's relevant...

I agree to this, to an extent. One of the President's many titles is "Commander in Chief" of the armed forces, and he/she should have some understanding of how the armed forces operate.

@715131

They also need to beat guitar hero on expert to understand the average musician's lifestyle.

I think the group of people identified is too broad; if your public service position doesn't deal with military matters, it's irrelevant. However, even in those cases it might be a good idea to have non-military people involved, if for no reason but different points of view on a situation. Ancient man was ruled by whomever won the most battles, but things aren't so simple now, and military action isn't always the answer.

Guess people who aren't physically fit enough or have ankle/knee problems can never dream of trying to head our country in the right direction.

I totally agree that the PRESIDENTand maybe some of Congressneeds to have served at some point. But not every office.

RunnerGirls avatar RunnerGirl Yeah You Are +2Reply

Anyone who has control over the armed forces should have served at least once.

Big_Bosss avatar Big_Boss Yeah You Are +1Reply

I completely agree with this post. Not only because they need to know what war is like in order to be in charge of the armed forces, but because they need to know what life is really like. They need to understand that they are controlling people... LIVES, and not numbers, and they need to understand that while they're in their nice, cozy office, passing bills about international policy, that not everything is so black and white.

canadianspunges avatar canadianspunge Yeah You Are +1Reply
@715075

Who would then become politicians.

@BreakfastFan Who would then become politicians.

We, the people, should decide on honest humans that we want for leaders. The voting system has produced unsuccessful leaders. We need to get rid of all the politicians who do nothing and actually vote for good leaders.

@mouse4216 We, the people, should decide on honest humans that we want for leaders. The voting system has produced...

Politicians don't do nothing, anyone who pays attention to politics would know that. Even when a body is deadlocked on some controvertial issue, it still passes less controvertial bills. It seems extraordinarily corrupt to us because the bad things always get more publicity and good things are met with cynicism. The system is far from perfect, but when you look at how corrupt whole continents and even other industrialized nations can be, you get a greater appreciation for how 312,000,000 people are adequatley governed without encroaching on our liberties. I'm not saying that we shouldn't constantly try to improve the system, but people who want to topple the whole government and start from scrach need a reality check.

@715211

First of its psychopath, second of all if you haven't noticed the president of the US does not have supreme power; he can't do whatever he wants. I clearly stated that not just anybody could be a political, people would still vote. I suggest that people should be able to be leaders without being politicians.

@mouse4216 This isn't the French Revolution

I'm not talking about the French Revolution. I'm talking about communism.

@eldorito I'm not talking about the French Revolution. I'm talking about communism.

Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not sure. During the French Revolution the proletariat(lower class) overthrew the dominant bourgeoisie(upper class) but then eventually failed and France went back to a monarchy.

@mouse4216 Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not sure. During the French Revolution the proletariat(lower class) overthrew...

True, but that is what Karl Marx defined as one of the ideals of communism. The government is a temporary, necessary evil.

Hmmm... that's an interesting point of which I am undecided on. It'd be hard for the president to know what war is like if he didn't serve, but some are saying that he must have an extensive knowledge of it. That might work, but things are often very different in theory.

Worst of the week, nice job! It sounds like I'm being sarcastic, but I'm not. Nice job! Lol.

i posted this as a result of the opinions i have formed from being in the military. and just seeing some of the decisions that are being made right now by the people in power just seems completely senseless. most of the people i associate with in my banch are some of the most straightforward people. something the military teaches you, in my opinion, is to JUST DO IT. if it's for thegood of the nation, then do it. if you get flak for it,then fine. one example is this whole healthcare issue. it's already starting to go down the tubes and it's only an infant. i could have told someone to avoid socialized medicine. just go to any military base's hospital, and you'll see what i'm talking about. it's always way overcrowded, waits are forever, etc. the military gives you a strong work ethic, and a real sense of patriotism. you really care about the people around you. you aren't interested in 'politics,' as much as you are in what you can do for your country. thats what my opinion is.

N8TheGr8s avatar N8TheGr8 Yeah You Are 0Reply
@N8TheGr8 i posted this as a result of the opinions i have formed from being in the military. and just seeing some of the...

Just on the military hospital thing, here in Australia we have socialized health care (with the option to take out private health cover) and it it TOTALLY diffrent to the military hospital. My boyfriend was in the army and he said the base's hospital wasn't very good. But the public hospitals here are rather good (even if sometimes you do have to wait a while to see someone, you're getting free treatment so why complain).

the PRESIDENT, out of anyone, should definitely have some sort of military experience. i believe that with every bone of my body. however, when it comes to very "small" public official jobs (city council members, etc.) i dont think it appies as much. it is more important for those "smaller" members to be more in tune with the needs and issues of their immediate area. The military service is a better suggestion for federal leadership positions (House, Senate,President, Cabinet Members, Supreme Court, etc.)

Why is this worst of the week? It actually makes a little sense to do this.

My mum is an elected member of local government and I'm having a hard time trying to immagine her serving in the millitary. I don't think that ANY member that has a position that affects the public should. Although like someone said before, maybe the people who are incharge of decisions that affect the armed forces should, but even then I don't see it working in all cases.

Holy fook! Such ignorance is astounding.

Read: I hope you are trolling.

The one problem is that a military-experienced president will be more war-happy than one that wasn't in the military. It doesn't really matter either way.