+414

Just because someone doesn't believe that being gay is right, doesn't mean that they're homophobic. Being homophobic means you're AFRAID of gays. It's completely different. amirite?

3 46

Uh huh, well, either way, you're an asshole.

@Uh huh, well, either way, you're an asshole.

it depends on the persons beliefs. everyone believes something different. it doesn't make you an asshole. being homophobic is being an asshole, i agree. but if you don't believe it's right, that's completely different.

fieldhockeygirls avatar fieldhockeygirl Yeah You Are +7Reply

Way to attack the OP. Just because someone points out something does not mean they believe it is okay. If I distinguished the rationale between slaves and indentured servants, it does not mean that I approve of either.

people can not like gays if they want to. someone shouldn't be hated for not liking gays. you would be a hypocrite for hating someone for their beliefs.

jaydakinssss avatar jaydakinsss Yeah You Are +4Reply

The suffix "phobia" means an irrational fear or dislike. I would characterize what the OP said as an irrational dislike of gay people.

@749356

You fail to grasp the concept of irony.

It doesn't really mean your afraid, like any phobia. It just means you have negative feelings towards the subject. Since these negative feelings are often manifested as fear, it's a common misconception that fear and phobia are synonymous.

The words gay and retard aren't really used by their denotations anymore. Neither is the word homophobic.

Hmm, the correct word would be 'homosexist', but people use 'homophobia' as it stems from the beliefs that many people who are against gay rights have some sort of irrational fear of homosexuals, and what they might percieve civil rights would do to society.

THANK YOU for posting this. I try to tell people this all the time, and everyone flips out on me.

It's also the dislike of them..look it up

@donpatch It's also the dislike of them..look it up

like how some things (like oil) are hydrophobic, it isn't afraid of water, it just doesn't like it.

The OP worded it quite well. I am 100% agreed.

JediLynxs avatar JediLynx Yeah You Are +1Reply

Well, fear is the basis for ignorance. So it's almost the same thing when you get to the roots of it.

Fin-ally! Someone got it right!

It doesn't really me scared of gays anymore. I mean, technically, homophobia would mean fear or sameness. It just means being predjudiced against gays.

sansas avatar sansa No Way 0Reply

totally true, my friend totally supports gays, but she is absolutely afraid of them because of things that happened in her childhood.

kahleekats avatar kahleekat Yeah You Are 0Reply
@you and your friend make no sense

It is possible to support someone's lifestyle while not being completely stereotypical. My friend was sexually harassed by many different gays, but she still supports them because she knows that they are not all the same.

ho·mo·pho·bi·a (hm-fb-)
n.
1. Fear of or contempt for lesbians and gay men.
2. Behavior based on such a feeling.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/homophobic

Saigots avatar Saigot No Way -1Reply

you poor, poor child....

the word homophobic is the most overused word today...

Oh my gosh... You eat CHEESE? A farmer in Wisconsin did not wear purple on October 20th, therefore, you are homophobic."

Lkuns avatar Lkun Yeah You Are -3Reply
@shorkian I have never heard anything even remotely like that.

it's a gross exaggeration but you get my picture.

Lkuns avatar Lkun Yeah You Are +1Reply
@MyLifeIsAverage Not really.

people will call you homophobic over anything today. It's like being called racist because you drive a white car.

Lkuns avatar Lkun Yeah You Are +1Reply

OP, thinking that being gay is wrong is bad enough. I am gay, and this really offended me. I have to deal with people like you my whole life, who will not treat me the same because they think that it is wrong even when I should have the right to love whomever I wish. Then, you justify your treatment of us, "the gays" by saying you are not homophobic, you just think that it is wrong. Well, that is enough. That is enough to make you as mean to me now as if you had come up to me and said that I am inherently wrong.

@OP, thinking that being gay is wrong is bad enough. I am gay, and this really offended me. I have to deal with...

Sorry if I didn't see it, but where does the OP say that he/she hates gays? I thought they were just stating that homophobia isn't the same thing as hating gays..

kahleekats avatar kahleekat Yeah You Are +1Reply

Can you please understand that just because people disagree with homosexuality does not mean they hate you, or dislike you? People who have a religion that thinks being gay is wrong have a right to their own beliefs, and you have the right to be gay. Stop trying to feel all victimized, and be a little prouder of who you are. If you have fully accepted yourself, you wouldn't feel so bothered by it.
If you can't respect the beliefs of other people, why should they respect yours?