+644

The original French people: "Dude, wouldn't it be hilarious if we made it so that the spelling of words don't match with the way they're pronounced?" "Hell yeah it would! Let's do it!", amirite?

BreakfastFans avatar Food & Drink
34 13
The voters have decided that BreakfastFan is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Just as the English thought; lets put silent letters in words JUST so children can't spell 'em!

SemiColons avatar SemiColon Yeah You Are +23Reply

I'm French and I approve this message.

Stwentytwos avatar Stwentytwo Yeah You Are +10Reply

Actually, it was because there were so few people who could write back then, and people would pay them to write for them, and they got paid by the letter. So they added a bunch of letters on the end of every word that were "silent" so they'd get more money

@Actually, it was because there were so few people who could write back then, and people would pay them to write for...

(Your+name+(optional)): Wow I didn't know that. That's interesting and actually makes a lot of sense based on what I've been learning about early medeival times in history.

BreakfastFans avatar BreakfastFan Yeah You Are +6Reply

(Your+name+(optional)): People in the 1800's got paid by the word.

That's why Charles Dickens is so wordy. :P

monstrositys avatar monstrosity Yeah You Are 0Reply

French people are so clever.

Try Irish, The least phonetic language I've ever tried to speak

@Captain_Coconut Try Irish, The least phonetic language I've ever tried to speak

Irish is impossible. When I was visiting there our tour guide handed us a list of Irish words, and the pronunciations next to them didn't even seem to make any sense.

There's an old joke that the Irish language stole all of the vowels from the Welsh language. Welsh will have like four Ls in a row, it's ridiculous.

But that's the exact same as any other language...

Incorrect. It's incredibly formulaic and precise. "famille" the "ll" = "y" English has many more silent letters etc.

The only language that is simple to understand is body language. Anything other language is convoluted and complicated. =/ BTW I like this post.