+642

If Americans call black people “African Americans”, do they call white people “European Americans”? Not every black person originates from Africa, not every person from Africa is black, amirite?

Simons avatar
6 37
The voters have decided that Simon is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

They're black. It's not degrading, it's their skin color.

Amish_Allosauruss avatar Amish_Allosaurus Yeah You Are +14Reply
@I'm not black; I'm brown.

but somehow people get WAY more offended if you call someone brown. I don't know WHY, because people can call me pink all they want (i'm actually yellow, but that is always linked to asians and i'm not asian) and I won't get mad.

@I'm not black; I'm brown.

Well I'm not white, I'm tan. But you don't hear me whining about it.

@Amish_Allosaurus Well I'm not white, I'm tan. But you don't hear me whining about it.

I never referred to you as "white." And I was more stating a fact than whining.

@Amish_Allosaurus They're black. It's not degrading, it's their skin color.

Last I checked, unless you're a burn victim, your skin isn't black.

@soccerfan Last I checked, unless you're a burn victim, your skin isn't black.

I'm tan, but I'm considered "white". Brown people are considered "black".

@Amish_Allosaurus I'm tan, but I'm considered "white". Brown people are considered "black".

But it's not their skin color. So what you said earlier isn't accurate.

@soccerfan But it's not their skin color. So what you said earlier isn't accurate.

Just because something is ilogical, doesn't mean it's not correct. Society made it that way.

LOL. I have seen many black people blacker than the color black.

i don't call em African Americans I call them black peoples

So, if you're from Africa, why are you white?

@Daemoine So, if you're from Africa, why are you white?

Omg, you can't just ask someone why they're white.

I call them "Dem Nigz," actually. and i'm pretty sure the whole human race originated from Africa...

I'm actually offended by African American...

Well I know three true African-Americans, people from Africa that moved to America, and they're white.

I hate being called African American. Please call me black!

I do find it a bit weird that black people are called African Americans in the US but we're not called African Brits in the UK...just saying black is fine.

Livvies avatar Livvie Yeah You Are +3Reply

Africa is a big continent, with many different countries. Some are gonna be white, while some are black. So I agree, African-American should be used for people that are actually African-American, not just classing all black people as that.

Speaking of stereotypes, not all Americans use that terminology. I live in America, and I don't.
I agree with you about the second part, but I just think that saying all Americans think that way is a bit judgemental.

ctiscoolers avatar ctiscooler Yeah You Are +2Reply

I was born and still live in Africa and I'm white! My ancestors has been here more than 300 years, yet I'll never be considered African.

because people think it's less offensive than saying black

Ha, interesting points.

What I was trying to say is, a black person whose family has lived in American for 4 generations and who has never been to Africa would call themselves African-American, but a white person whose family has lived in America for 4 generation and who has never been to Europe won't call themselves European-American.

And, the last sentence came from my cousin, who is Polynesian, he went to the US, and everyone called him African-American.

And, I don't know much about minority things in the US, but lets say a family from Africa, who were white, came to American, and had Africa citizenship, would they be entitled to the same things as African-Americans?

Simons avatar Simon Yeah You Are +1Reply

(iheartwizardrock).
You're so oblivious to the fact that Africa is not all blacks. Have you not seen the disney movie "the color of friendship?"

@(iheartwizardrock). You're so oblivious to the fact that Africa is not all blacks. Have you not seen the disney...

Um, I know that Africa is not all blacks. But most of the white people in Africa had ancestors from somewhere else. But there are Caucasians native to Northern Africa. That was my point.

sansas avatar sansa Yeah You Are 0Reply

Correction. @724783 (iheartwizardrock)

if im jamaican n i move to america am i considered african american?

First of all, ALL black people have an ancestor from Africa. The term has more to do with the fact that black people's ancestors didn't choose to come here, like white people did. They just want to maintain a link to the heritage which was initially denied to them.

@soccerfan First of all, ALL black people have an ancestor from Africa. The term has more to do with the fact that black...

Actually, humanity first evolved in Africa. So everyone has an African ancestor. If you believe in evolution, that is.

@724780

You've just stumbled upon part of the reason why some people find the use of the word "black" as a descriptor to be offensive. It was used in the past as an umbrella term to describe anyone that wasn't "white" and was applied accordingly to stratify society along those lines by making anyone identified as "black" an automatic second class citizen.

All black people had an ancestor from Africa before, but there are many different places where white people can come from, not just Europe. For instance my parent's come from the middle east, and they are white.

@723690

It's Middle Easterner...

Mikes avatar Mike No Way +4Reply