ToastedStews avatar Food & Drink
5 34

It's a dollar symbol, not a symbol for money. There are some theories as to how it came about.

@twisted_memories It's a dollar symbol, not a symbol for money. There are some theories as to how it came about.

True, but when people quickly write, "give me the money" or something, they use dollar signs.

Katffros avatar Katffro Yeah You Are -1Reply
@Katffro I guess...

in other countries they even have different symbols on cartoon money bags

@Katffro I guess...

You're are FUCKING retarded. Of course they mean USD (U-N-I-T-E-D S-T-A-T-E-S D-O-L-L-A-R-S!!) I would say you should get out of the US to realize there are actually OTHER countries, but I don't want you out there representing America. You should probably just kill yourself.

@Katffro trolololololololo

It's not even funny that you think that's what I am. It's even sadder, further proving my point.

@ToastedStew Yeah but I thought money sounded better.

You're further perpetuating the stereotype of Americans being self-centered. Thanks, bro...

@mchristie You're further perpetuating the stereotype of Americans being self-centered. Thanks, bro...

Well, if I'd known you would analyze my word choice so in depth, I probably would have said dollar.

ToastedStews avatar ToastedStew Yeah You Are 0Reply

..why not?

@rowanne ..why not?

why not? why not take a crazy chance?

@rowanne whyyyy nottt do a crazy dance?

you always dress in yellow, when you wanna dress in gold?>
say whyyyy not?
why not?

gotta love the duffster

Ahh, a person who questions the unexplainable when we come into contact with this everyday thing.

I'm sorry my friend, for I too questioned this, cannot answer your question.....

But Google Can. :D

OptimusPrime69s avatar OptimusPrime69 Yeah You Are +7Reply

It used to be a S with a U on top of it (get it-U.S.), but then shortened into an S with two lines through it, and then eventually shortened to what it is today, an S with one line through it.

Lucis avatar Luci No Way +4Reply
@Luci It used to be a S with a U on top of it (get it-U.S.), but then shortened into an S with two lines through it, and...

Except that's a discounted theory because the dollar sign was around before the US was...

I got bored and googled this after I commented lol.

Oh haha, i thought it said "where" not "why", so I clicked on it thinking "this guy is a complete moron". Haha...my bad :P

Money symbol?
$ and R are both money symbols.
$ is the dollar symbol -_-

It started as two pillars with some kind of ribbon wrapped around them, but it was simplified.

@1029918

Cent starts with a c...?

I was thinking about this earlier today. I read in Atlas Shrugged that it was originally he U.S.'s initials overlapped.

It's mostly just one line now

Devices avatar Device Yeah You Are -1Reply
@Device It's mostly just one line now

Sometimes they only have the little stubs of the line from the ends! $

I've heard it two ways: that it started out as 2 cent signs on top of one another and people just started writing it as $, and that it was US with the U on top of the S and people just left off the bottom of the U.

Anonymous