+3,045

The elderly should be sent to jail, and criminals to nursing homes. The eldery would have free hot food, snacks, free legal care, medical and health, security and safety, free clothing, access to pools, counseling and education, family visits, and care. The criminals would have cold food, left alone in a tiny room, limited showers and pay $5000 a month for the torture. amirite?

mark_s avatar
136 125
The voters have decided that mark_ is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

the the

Rockys avatar Rocky Yeah You Are 0Reply
@qwazoo82 the the

What was this referring to?

@WryVendor What was this referring to?

When the post was first on the homepage it had a typo that was "and pay $5000 a month for the the torture". So this was just pointing that out. I assume they fixed it so they could put it as POTD.

@mark_ You can only edit your post for the first 5 minutes, so I never changed it man

@811064 (mark_): Yeah I know, one of the admins changed it before they put it potd.

@qwazoo82 @811064 (mark_): Yeah I know, one of the admins changed it before they put it potd.

I had no idea admins were such grammar nazi's, or the power to do that lol

mark_s avatar mark_ Yeah You Are 0Reply

So many nursing homes have such poor conditions. My mom sort of "looked over" one, and the employees were cruel and the people were afraid to ask for stuff.
Criminals get too many benefits. Do you know how much money we would save if less of it went to jails? Those people committed CRIMES. I would not want a rapist getting a nice, warm bed, good meals, etc. etc.
Just shows how messed up this country can be.

Katffros avatar Katffro Yeah You Are +38Reply
@Katffro So many nursing homes have such poor conditions. My mom sort of "looked over" one, and the employees were cruel and...

I know, i've read about a homeless person that robbed a bank for the privilege of being in jail.

mark_s avatar mark_ Yeah You Are +24Reply
@mark_ I know, i've read about a homeless person that robbed a bank for the privilege of being in jail.

Ya, my school security guard said that on really cold nights, homeless people would commit crimes in front of the jail on purpose just so the could have a meal and a hot shower!

607patch607s avatar 607patch607 Yeah You Are 0Reply

Seriously. One jailer in Arizona? runs his jail just like they should all be run. They all have to wear hot pink, they get only sandwiches, live in tents? i think (I know they don't have the same shelter like other jails do) and many other things. Most criminals who go in don't want to go back. The way most jails are is ridiculous.

Taters avatar Tater Yeah You Are +11Reply

Aha. Where exactly would you send these criminals then? And what about the wrongfully accused or the mentally ill or those who did at as an act of self-defense? America has the most imprisoned people in the world, Russia coming in second and not even close. With that being said, our prisons are overcrowded, and due to overcrowding, the living conditions are horrible. Haven't you heard the term ''prison food?'' Do you think that name was coined because lobster and filer minong are on the menu? Often, they don't even know what they're getting. And what about gang violence in prisons? Or just violence and abuse in general? Do you know how many inmates get shanked or beat to death? And medicine? Haha. Don't even. Once you're incarcanated, you pretty much give up your rights and any ethical treatment that ''free'' people take for granted. I can't believe this post even got homepaged. It just shows how ignorant or perhaps oblivious people are to their societies.

@Aha. Where exactly would you send these criminals then? And what about the wrongfully accused or the mentally ill...

I don't know WHAT jail you're talking about, but both of my parents visited the jail near me, in our bankrupt state, and they get fresh food, laundered clothes, and for being CRIMINALS, pretty good conditions.
That's only county-level.
In federal prisons, people further emphasize how they're considered the "government's responsibility", so they get amazing treatment. I haven't heard of many, if any, deaths/injuries occurring in prisons.
A man on death row got cancer, and the government had to pay for chemo because they HAD to give him health care.
The government HAS to take care of them and make sure they're all good and healthy.
The mentally ill and those who acted in self-defense get shorter/no sentence depending on the lawyer. The wrongfully accused, well, that's different. They should have gotten a better lawyer, or it was simply unfair, which sucks but it happens.
Overall, though, prisoners get pretty good living conditions.

Katffros avatar Katffro Yeah You Are 0Reply

Exactly. I have no idea where people are getting this romanticized image of luxurious prison quarters and top notch health care.

I work in a nursing home and trust me they get snacks 3 times a day plus 3 hot meals we make it a point to conversate with them aswell I love my job : )

@I work in a nursing home and trust me they get snacks 3 times a day plus 3 hot meals we make it a point to...

I've heard really bad things about nursing homes. Especially around my area, some walk around and stuff, but one elder guy just sits on the bench outside for hours on end.
Also there are stories of the people working there abusing elders

mark_s avatar mark_ Yeah You Are +42Reply
@mark_ I've heard really bad things about nursing homes. Especially around my area, some walk around and stuff, but one...

I agree, it's more common for the nursing home to be sub-par than adequate. The ones that are "decent enough" often cannot be afford by people who have been retired for a decade+. Additionally, a senior citizen does not always the choice to where they end up.

Loveee the idea Mark! It's astonishing how little respect for our elders we have here. If conditions like that were going on in a daycare, all hell would break loose! But I guess babies are "cuter" than wrinkly, liver spotted individuals.. In China or even in America's earlier years we would care and serve our elderly parents ourselves until the day they died!

mchristies avatar mchristie Yeah You Are +11Reply
@mchristie I agree, it's more common for the nursing home to be sub-par than adequate. The ones that are "decent enough" often...

Absolutely, I hate when Walmart greeters are in their 80's because I feelbad for their degrading job. So make sure to thank them and make them feel good

mark_s avatar mark_ Yeah You Are +25Reply
@Butts Conversate?

Definition: to socialize and chat; to converse with another

rosinbackriders avatar rosinbackrider Yeah You Are +4Reply
Rockys avatar Rocky Yeah You Are +11Reply
@Ross no you retard its a shoe

I see what you did there.

Rockys avatar Rocky Yeah You Are +4Reply
@Butts Then why does spell check think conversate isn't a word?

Browser spell checkers aren't as good as in programs like Word. They have fewer words and give worse suggestions.

my spell check doesnt think its wrong. i dunno. the online dictionary i looked up said it's use was slang, so maybe thats why.

rosinbackriders avatar rosinbackrider Yeah You Are 0Reply
@because you're a dumbass.

Oh shit. You sure told me. I may need some ice for that burn. Ow, man. Cut me deep.

I would hate that because I wouldn't want to conversate with someone as dumb as you, I'm not quite sure what that imaginary thing is, but I wouldn't converse with you either

garrettruskamps avatar garrettruskamp Yeah You Are 0Reply

My grandmother's in jail...

Bossmans avatar Bossman Yeah You Are +24Reply
@806843

being kickass

Rosss avatar Ross Yeah You Are +18Reply
@Ross being kickass

This is not MLIA.

Adrias avatar Adria Yeah You Are +8Reply
@Adria This is not MLIA.

perfectly aware this is not MLIA, does that not give me the privilege to call his grandma kickass? i mean his grandma did SOMETHING to get into jail

Rosss avatar Ross Yeah You Are +21Reply
@Adria This is not MLIA.

People emigrate from it though.

SexyMonkeys avatar SexyMonkey Yeah You Are +8Reply
@Adria This is not MLIA.

You're so desperately concerned about not being like MLIA that even the most benign little joke will bother you. I don't think it's healthy.

pool?

@pool?

(saaaaywhaaat?): er, I'm not sure actually, maybe

mark_s avatar mark_ Yeah You Are +3Reply

I'm not trying to sound like a cold-hearted ass, but honestly I think people should take care of their parents until they die instead of just paying an institution to take care of them for them. I would NEVER do that to my parents, no matter how sick they are. I don't care. They cared for us when we were helpless and stupid little babies, why can't we do the same for them if they ever end up helpless and weak?

@I'm not trying to sound like a cold-hearted ass, but honestly I think people should take care of their parents...

Like my other comment stated, that's what they did in the past and still do in China and other cultures. It's America's fucked up values..

mchristies avatar mchristie Yeah You Are +10Reply

I think the same, but really it's difficult if they have kids or a job or bills to pay etc. Sometimes a nursing home is the last available option

mark_s avatar mark_ Yeah You Are +9Reply
@mark_ I think the same, but really it's difficult if they have kids or a job or bills to pay etc. Sometimes a nursing...

Some people also just pay to have a nurse come to their house and take care of them.

Having kids or bills to pay is not an excuse to leave your parent(s) in those sort of places. If my kid did that to me just because he/she was barely getting the rent paid I'd say I did a horrible job raising them. My parents can trust my sister and I to take care of them if anything (God forbid) was ever to happen to them. Just because money was tight didn't prevent your parents from having you, so why should it prevent people from taking care of them back?

@true_believer09 Having kids or bills to pay is not an excuse to leave your parent(s) in those sort of places. If my kid did that to...

yh, its a good point, and I would never put my parents in a nursing home, and feel pretty bad when I see someone I know going to a nursing home. But your parents had a life, how can you give up your life to take care of them, there has to be another way

mark_s avatar mark_ Yeah You Are +5Reply
@mark_ yh, its a good point, and I would never put my parents in a nursing home, and feel pretty bad when I see someone I...

@802285 (mark_): you cant lump everyone who sends their parents to a nursing home in the same category. my grandpa has Alzheimer's and my parents (and their siblings) tried to keep him at home, but he would run away all the time, one time he even broke into my dad's truck. now my grandpa is sick and needs to be watched 24 hours a day. my parents can't quit their life and jobs to take care of him, so he is in a care facility.

rosinbackriders avatar rosinbackrider Yeah You Are +16Reply
@rosinbackrider @802285 (mark_): you cant lump everyone who sends their parents to a nursing home in the same category. my grandpa...

You think I'm generalizing when i'm not. I get there are situation where families just CAN NOT take care of their parents, or where the elderly need special care by professionals. I get that. My grandfather had Alzheimers too and needed 24 hour attention or else he would get himself into real trouble as well, like drinking bleach or eating soap or walking out to the street in the middle of the night. Don't think we didn't have that situation I understand completely, but we NEVER thought about putting him in a facility like that. So many people suggested it but like, seriously? My aunts and uncles knew how much their father struggled to raise them and they needed to appreciate that. How many times has he unknowingly punched my uncles in the face or spat on one of my aunts? Who cares? At least he had diginity at his time of death where he died in his house, in his bed, with his daughter taking care of him. I think people are selfish these days no offense to you.

@true_believer09 You think I'm generalizing when i'm not. I get there are situation where families just CAN NOT take care of their...

how can you say you are not generalizing, and you understand that some families are unable to care for their elderly parents, but then you go on to judge and criticize people who do send their parents to care homes?

giving up my life to take care of theirs? it's not giving up life. it's called giving back. we can never do for our parents what they have done for us, and what is the harm in taking care of them until their time comes? i say everything that comes around goes around, and my parents took care of their parents till they passed away, and i intend to do the same if anything happened to them, and i should hope that my future children will do the same for me and their father. If you don't take care of your parents when they need you, expect the same treatment when you are old and helpless. That's how I see it.

@true_believer09 giving up my life to take care of theirs? it's not giving up life. it's called giving back. we can never do for our...

some people can't just abandon their job to take care of their parents. If you had no job and couldn't pay the rent you could end up on the streets. I'd much rather have my kids put me in a nursing home than have them have no lives and be living on the streets. I wouldn't want someone to be miserable just so I can be comfortable. Just saying.

I agree in part... Except that not everyone is capable of taking care of an elderly person.

But you never know people's situations... The person's parents might have dementia or something, and require full-time care, and the person might be a single mother with 3 kids... It just wouldn't work out without sending someone away somewhere, be it the elderly person or one or more of the kids...

Rainbow35s avatar Rainbow35 Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Rainbow35 But you never know people's situations... The person's parents might have dementia or something, and require...

It's funny how we invent excuses like this to justify our own selfishness. Wait, no it's not. :/

Prison is too easy for people. Its like crime school, "HEY, YOU GOT COUGHT DEALING HERION? TRY THIS NEXT TIME." Ect.

It should be more like a solitary hell.... They commited crimes, they shouldn't have the same rights as us who didn't.

This is so true.

howwedances avatar howwedance Yeah You Are +13Reply

I wouldn't exactly call the beds warm and nice nor the food good..

Nicole_Anonymouss avatar Nicole_Anonymous Yeah You Are +12Reply

LOL I totally thought you meant you should send criminals to a nursing home with people still living there. =P

TheUnUsernames avatar TheUnUsername Yeah You Are +11Reply

I have been to several nursing homes, even one in Wisconsin, and I haven't seen or heard of any abuse or poor condtions. My sister works at a nursing home, and they have excellent care for the residents.They have games days all the time, and each room has premium cable.

@shutupcinderblock I have been to several nursing homes, even one in Wisconsin, and I haven't seen or heard of any abuse or poor...

oh that's great, but the world is changing, and more people are greedy and they try and get your money and give little back. Alot of nursing homes are like this also, and it's disgusting

mark_s avatar mark_ Yeah You Are +14Reply
@mark_ oh that's great, but the world is changing, and more people are greedy and they try and get your money and give...

I understand that many nursing homes are in poor condition, but you do not have to be a debbie downer towards the people who work for the good ones.

Sadly not all nursing homes are like that, I would know... my grandmother spent about a year in one, she was put in the last room on the left, they fed her fried crap or mush for every meal, the nurses would sometimes not come in for hours and would leave her sitting in her own poop, and they price was through the roof!

great post, and definitely worthy of potd, but i jsut have to be that gguy
WOW THIS DOESNT DESERVE POTD WOW ANTHONY dlfkasdl/fasdl

Why does this remind me of the Family Guy episode where Peter goes to rehab for all the amazing crap there? xD

I actually work at a nursing home, and I have spent countless hours talking to the elderly, making sure that they're comfortable and happy. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Elderly people have to deal with dementia in many cases, and may think that they aren't being treated fairly, or that their roommates are stealing from them, etc. In reality, these people are being treated with the utmost respect.

And then they'd escape..

afternooners avatar afternooner Yeah You Are +4Reply

Prison rape is srs business.

My grandma went to a nursing home. She had seven children who lived right in the area, so her family saw her a lot, but her roommate had severe dementia and was constantly crying out in pain and calling for help. I can't even begin to imagine how hard that was for the both of them.

ctiscoolers avatar ctiscooler Yeah You Are +3Reply

There's a nursing home in my town and it's horrible. When I was in Grammar School, I was in the chorus, and we sang Christmas songs for the elderlies. In the middle of a song, and old lady got up, slapped one of the kids, and told him he sucked.
Also, my dad and I had to go there for some weird reason that I can't remember. We had to walk past their rooms, and some of the doors were open. Some old woman had. . . gag. . . taken off her diaper and was eating her own shit. I'm still traumatized. The nurses didn't even bother to glance at her.

@There's a nursing home in my town and it's horrible. When I was in Grammar School, I was in the chorus, and we sang...

Totally just cracked up at the first paragraph of your comment. But the second part is really sad :(

I get it now! I misread this and now I understand that by "nursing homes" you make an reference to hell. Prison is a symbol for heaven. If you look beyond the literature, you can see a vague message being sent from inside the writing. The "prisoners," as you say, are symbolic to God and how he is holy. The elderly represent the reign of Stalin and how much torture was beset upon the people of Russia. The switch between prisons and nursing homes very indirectly alludes to the Irish Civil war. You, my friend would be a great short story writer.

Fuck_Offs avatar Fuck_Off Yeah You Are +3Reply
@808386

I'm not smoking anything! I was referring to people who over-analyze short stories and literature. I hate that.

Fuck_Offs avatar Fuck_Off Yeah You Are -1Reply
@809006

Why, do you want some?

Fuck_Offs avatar Fuck_Off Yeah You Are 0Reply
@808385

I mean win-win for the grandma,
and the 2 exponents are whether she goes to jail, or gets lots of money

mark_s avatar mark_ Yeah You Are +2Reply

the follow up was the cherry on the freakin top! ...tell gma tah rob a bank.. lol
i can picture it now.. for some reason i picture a betty white with a mask and a creepy smirk on her face..
headlines: Society has advanced after Ms. White gets some loot to boot

Elmer_Fudds avatar Elmer_Fudd Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Elmer_Fudd the follow up was the cherry on the freakin top! ...tell gma tah rob a bank.. lol i can picture it now.. for some...

How can she have a mask on and have her smile be seen. How could the news ID her as Betty White? How do YOU know it's Betty White? How do you KNOW society will advance?

Fuck_Offs avatar Fuck_Off Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Fuck_Off How can she have a mask on and have her smile be seen. How could the news ID her as Betty White? How do YOU know...

I was thinking one of those masks that just cover the eyes.. and I honestly don't know because I was joking around?

Elmer_Fudds avatar Elmer_Fudd Yeah You Are -1Reply

I read the follow-up and just busted out laughing.

I am going to school to be a nurse, and my first placement is in a nursing home. I have heard many horror stories, not ever nursing home great. But the one that I am at is amazing I love it. Some of the people that work there are crabby but the only not so great thing. For the most part all the people that work there do everything that they can for the residents.

Don't forget toilet wineeeee! Lol

Obviously you haven't been to jail and had to experience the torture I went through. Just saying. Not all prisons are like a 5 star hotel and not all nursing homes are a fiery furnace of hell. Don't be so ignorant.

@Obviously you haven't been to jail and had to experience the torture I went through. Just saying. Not all prisons...

a nursing home people choose to go to, and pay $5000 a month, so that's like 166 a night, for that you could stay at a 4-star hotel and have a nice room. Jail you don't want to go to, so it should be shit, so those that have to go there will have motivation to never be forced back

mark_s avatar mark_ Yeah You Are 0Reply

your right it does come from tax payers money and you could say that over all its better than a nursing home but just the bed and food in general is not better.

Yeah but criminals can contribute to society once they check out of jail.

At the end of the day, this should be 2nd best of the month, Thanks guys, be nice to your grandmother and grandfather, send then an ehug or something, or get them flowers tomorrow

mark_s avatar mark_ Yeah You Are 0Reply

that's not what happens really.

did you get this off of waiting for superman?

russiangurl1010s avatar russiangurl1010 Yeah You Are -4Reply

Inb4 POTD rants y smilie

SexyMonkeys avatar SexyMonkey Yeah You Are -6Reply

This is probably the most ignorant post I've ever read.

Yea except for the fact jail is NOTHING like you described! Trust me a loved one was in prison for a year and let me tell you they don't qet tasty hot meals and snacks, the 'medical and health' your speaking of would probably he better from a 4 year old, the 'security' are a nightmare, the person I know spent 6 months without even meeting their counselor, oh and there's NO pools. And on top of that your locked in a cement cell for 22 hours a day. I have a better idea, let's just improve the quality of our retirement homes and send insensitive retards like YOU to jail!

@Yea except for the fact jail is NOTHING like you described! Trust me a loved one was in prison for a year and let...

also maybe yourlovedone shouldn't've gottenin jailin the first place, you oversensitive tard

mark_s avatar mark_ Yeah You Are +17Reply
mark_s avatar mark_ Yeah You Are +6Reply
@mark_ Nursing homes are a party either, and it depends on how serious their crime

I never said they were! I agree with improving nursing homes and I think the ones that mistreat their patients are sick. But what I was saying is it's just as sick as you portray jail. And I know they shouldve stayed out of jail but I also saw how much being in their was a living hell for them. And If you do think jail is such a cozy place then send your grandma there!

@I never said they were! I agree with improving nursing homes and I think the ones that mistreat their patients are...

Why do so many people commit crimes just to go to jail then? I know a few people who commit petty crimes every fall so that they can spend winter in jail.

@twisted_memories Why do so many people commit crimes just to go to jail then? I know a few people who commit petty crimes every fall...

Many people are unfortunate. They wouldn't go to a nursing home so they could get food and warmth, it's too expensive. Prison is the last resort when they've already hit rock bottom. There was a man who used to live in my cousins' neighborhood who did that. It was very sad that it was what they needed to resort to.

@Fuck_Off Many people are unfortunate. They wouldn't go to a nursing home so they could get food and warmth, it's too...

Most of the people I know who do this are able bodied people in an area with no shortage of jobs who are simply too lazy and drunk to work...

I've never heard of this happening, to be honest. I'm sure you could dig up some isolated incidents, but not enough to justify your point.

@WryVendor I've never heard of this happening, to be honest. I'm sure you could dig up some isolated incidents, but not enough...

It happens every fall where I'm from, several people do it. It happens a lot on reserves as well. It's a surprisingly common thing. I know several RCMP officers who would back this up.

Why is a lack of pools such a big deal? And look- stop going all PMS on us just because SOME prisoners get treated better than SOME elderly.