+176

God: What can be asserted without proof, can be dismissed without proof. amirite?

6 31

If God is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he is malevolent. If he is willing and able, then how is there evil? And if he is neither able not willing, then why call him God?

patrickmajors avatar patrickmajor Yeah You Are +7Reply

While I agree there are exceptions, wind in definitely not one of them. Look at a windmill for example...

You cannot literally feel or hear god, or else your belief would be through proof & not faith. I understand you think you have faith but if that's true, that'd mean you don't have proof so still... stupid comment.

luckie_s avatar luckie_ Yeah You Are +6Reply

I love this site, but I agree with guci. It's like you can't be on this site and believe in God without it feeling like everyone hates you and is out to prove you wrong.

I don't want people trying to prove me wrong. I want it to be left alone.

Isn't this a quote from Christopher Hitchens?

"What can be asserted without proof, can be dismissed without proof" IS a Quote from Christopher Hitchens. Says so on the T-shirts ! Seems pretty straight forward. Catholic church used to claim earth was center of solar system. People claimed earth was flat. lots of similar stuff. Claims fall apart with PROOF otherwise. I just need believers to explain to me where their GODs CAME FROM. If 'God' can pop out of nothing, and create universe, then I guess the universe could just pop out of nothing. no need for a super-deity to create anything. I take my existence only as 'proof' that I exist, and not that some deity 'created' me.

Aside from action do you have proof that you love someone...if not then you dont love them, according to your statement.

The same can be said for evolution.

Also, what about emotions? Is there any proof for that? No there isn't. I guess you don't have feelings.

@scrantoncity The same can be said for evolution. Also, what about emotions? Is there any proof for that? No there isn't. I...

You obviously don't spend much time in neurological circles.

Emotions can, and have been, measured and seen using MRI scans.
Certain emotions correlate into increased activity in certain regions of the brain.

Yes there is... How would people be able to express emotions if they didn't exist? Or I think there's ways of measuring brain activity or something.

Rainbow35s avatar Rainbow35 Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Rainbow35 Yes there is... How would people be able to express emotions if they didn't exist? Or I think there's ways of...

First off, they could be figments of our imagination.

Second, Yeah, I think you're right. It was a bad example.

How about you. For all I know, you're a computer bot.

We don't have proof of the wind. Yet, we can feel it and hear it.

@Madison_ We don't have proof of the wind. Yet, we can feel it and hear it.

That was the single most idiotic thing I have ever read on this site.

@Madison_ Says the anon

And that's relevant because....

@And that's relevant because....

snobs piss me off on this site. It's relevant because you can say something offensive to someone, and not reveal who you are.

@That was the single most idiotic thing I have ever read on this site.

This kind of posts are the single most idiotic thing on this website and will probably ruin the site.I can't fucking read 2 posts without one of them being something offending to people who believe in god.

@guci This kind of posts are the single most idiotic thing on this website and will probably ruin the site.I can't...

You're worried about posts being offensive to people who believe in god?
What about the past 1000 or so years of the religious being offensive to non-believers?

@You're worried about posts being offensive to people who believe in god? What about the past 1000 or so years of...

I'm worried about this site.And if you wanna go there what about the past 2000 years when christians,jews and others were persecuted for their beliefs?Anyway this is not even close to my main point.

Is feeling & hearing not enough proof for you? What more do you need?

luckie_s avatar luckie_ Yeah You Are +1Reply
@luckie_ Is feeling & hearing not enough proof for you? What more do you need?

Uhm , I believe in God, even though I can't see him. I was giving wind as an example. You misinterpreted.

@Madison_ Uhm , I believe in God, even though I can't see him. I was giving wind as an example. You misinterpreted.

No, I understood but your comment was just... well, stupid. You said you can't prove there's wind, yet you offered proof of wind. And comparing wind to god isn't the same thing because, like you said, you can literally feel and hear wind which is why people believe it. You can't feel or hear god so that is why people say there isn't any proof. Because there isn't.

God may or may not be real, but either way you can't prove it so there's not any real reason to choose to believe in him.

luckie_s avatar luckie_ Yeah You Are 0Reply
@luckie_ No, I understood but your comment was just... well, stupid. You said you can't prove there's wind, yet you offered...

I CAN feel and hear God . Ok ?
There isn't "proof" ; but i have what is called "FAITH"

@Madison_ I CAN feel and hear God . Ok ? There isn't "proof" ; but i have what is called "FAITH"

Sure.
And when a kid believes in Santa, well that's faith isn't it?