+679

When NASA first started sending up astronauts, they quickly discovered that ballpoint pens would not work in zero gravity. To combat the problem, NASA scientists spent a decade and $12 billion to develop a pen that writes in zero gravity, upside down, underwater, on almost any surface including glass and at temperatures ranging from below freezing to 500 degrees. The Russians used a pencil, am... amirite?

Grilled_Cheesuss avatar Jokes & Humour
33 30
The voters have decided that Grilled_Cheesus is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

But what if the pencil lead breaks? It'd be floating around and could poke someone in the eye...just sayingg

chuckytheduckys avatar chuckytheducky Yeah You Are +35Reply
@chuckytheducky But what if the pencil lead breaks? It'd be floating around and could poke someone in the eye...just sayingg

Don't know why you got voted down, that is actually the reason why they did not want to use a pencil. It would be dangerous in zero gravity.

Pencils were actually considered a hazard because broken points would float through the cabins in the zero gravity environment and there were combustibility concerns in the oxygen rich atmosphere. It's space, things are very different up there

adams avatar adam Yeah You Are +6Reply

Thus proving russians conquer all. MOTHER RUSSIA

From MLIA. Whatever, still funny :P

Shielys avatar Shiely Yeah You Are +14Reply
@Shiely From MLIA. Whatever, still funny :P

then it was taken from the movie Man of the Year, because thats what this is from.

I admit this post isn't original, but I didn't know it was from MLIA. Promise. Or Man of the Year.

This isn't true.

Well at least now we have a pen that can writein zero gravity, upside down, underwater, on any surface and during almost any temperatures. And all Russia has is a damn pencil.

Russians rule :)

Just another way the Russians won the Space Race. We're using their re-usable shuttle now/soon.

I love this post cuz it's just another moment in time that people in America don't use their heads. I'm an American so dot say I'm hatin cuz im not I'm just speaking the truth...excellent time to say "there's your tax dollars at work" tho lol

If the pencil tip breaks it would float around and might get into equipment harming or breaking it.

in soviet russia pecil use you

in soviet russia pecil use you

in soviet russia pencil use you

@in soviet russia pencil use you

u @802924 (Anonymous): You can delete comments yenno . just sayin ..