+585

There should be English as a language class in school, so instead of taking Spanish or French students could learn a whole bunch of long, fancy English words and their origins and become like a walking thesaurus. That would be awesome, amirite?

pterodactylpowers avatar Education
10 22
The voters have decided that pterodactylpower is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

they have that, it's called English class, or Language Arts if you prefer.

No, op has a point. I learned far more about English in my Classic Greek class than I ever did in any English class. They just don't teach you many practical things beyond 9th grade then in university they expect you to speak all fancy and whatnot in essays.

I'm in an English class (Honors Accelerated), and we don't learn squat.
What are we doing? Well, I'm reading Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and discussing Beowulf's "hero's journey".
I've never learned word origins or big, fancy words in any class.
Even with vocab, the words are pretty simple :/

Like an English origin class? Wouldn't that be Latin? However, you still have a decent point.

@TruttaceousTemulence Like an English origin class? Wouldn't that be Latin? However, you still have a decent point.

No that would not be Latin. I happen to take a Latin class, and it's all learning Latin words, how to grammatically use those Latin words in Latin sentences, and Roman mythology, culture, and history. Nowhere do we spend actual class time learning about origins of English words.

We do. It's called English.

ono smilie

I would much rather learn more other languages... we Anglos are notoriously terrible at that.

In victoria australia there's a subject called english language and I think you do things like that. But my school doesn't offer it because apparntly its really boring and no one would take it.

I don't know where you're from but if you do English Language as an A Level, you do learn "fancy words."

I don't mean as a class for writing and such, I mean as a class solely for learning words and their origins. Now I don't know about you, but my English class teaches me squat about any of that. So don't hate!

@pterodactylpower I don't mean as a class for writing and such, I mean as a class solely for learning words and their origins. Now I...

Nobody's "hating." We're just discussing. There's a difference between hating and disagreeing.

.......well if you're English class isn't teaching you "fancy words" like mine is I guess you could invest in a dictionary

In my school we learn "fancy words" as a freshman and up.

It's called.. Wait for it.. AP Language & Composition

@daney It's called.. Wait for it.. AP Language & Composition

Ooh I'm taking that! But we just write a bunch of essays =/

no it is not because then that would be all writing. This is no serious writing, just learning new words and how to use them correctly, and their origins.

Englsh clas as launguage class! we already speak englsh! oh the irongy!