+839

You wouldn't be offended if a Jewish person told you "happy Hanukkah" or anything like that so what's the big deal with everybody else getting offended by "merry christmas", amirite?

afarbss avatar
9 34
The voters have decided that afarbs is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I celebrate Christmas, I'm going to say Merry Christmas. Does this mean I want you to celebrate Christmas? Of course not, I'm trying to be nice. I don't see the big deal.

Janae17s avatar Janae17 Yeah You Are +22Reply
@Janae17 I celebrate Christmas, I'm going to say Merry Christmas. Does this mean I want you to celebrate Christmas? Of...

I@814062 (Janae17): Same. I celebrate Christmas, not Chanukah, not Kwanzaa, not...whatever other holidays are in December. So I say Merry Christmas. I don't find it ignorant, and I don't get why it's offensive.

Stepharoos avatar Stepharoo Yeah You Are +7Reply
@Stepharoo I@814062 (Janae17): Same. I celebrate Christmas, not Chanukah, not Kwanzaa, not...whatever other holidays are in...

Saying Merry Christmas is nice and not offensive. But it gets annoying to have EVERYONE say Merry Christmas if you celebrate another holiday.

its not offense as in "omigosh, you just hurt my feelings!" its just thats the holiday season isnt only for christmas. there are other holidays being celebrated. you shouldnt just assume that everyone celebrates christmas. besides, is it really that hard to say "happy holidays" ?

@814194

yeah! I loove fritos!! :D

I prefer happy holidays just because it means there's more to celebrate

HopeImrites avatar HopeImrite Yeah You Are +11Reply

i know! They shouldn't get offended because someone's trying to be polite and nice.

It's not people who celebrate Hanukkah and Kwanzaa that get offended, it's politically correct people who THINK that they should be offended. It's the same way with racial terms. Many people I know who are black actually hate being called African Americans.

MobyRichards avatar MobyRichard Yeah You Are +5Reply

They should really just get over it. It's the thought that counts! If they didn't know that you don't celebrate Christmas, how can you get mad at them for wishing you a merry one? The majority of the world is Christian, it's not such a bad assumption.

plotbunnyhunters avatar plotbunnyhunter Yeah You Are +3Reply

what jew got offended?

It's just another example of thin skin.

i keep my damn mouth shut.

QueenofModestys avatar QueenofModesty Yeah You Are +1Reply
@813234

It was an example

afarbss avatar afarbs Yeah You Are +12Reply

You've actually seen a particular individual who was offended by one but not the other?

Buttss avatar Butts No Way 0Reply
@815844

I don't think you understood what I said.

Buttss avatar Butts No Way 0Reply

It's different because they're the minority. There's no real danger of Hanukkah overshadowing Christmas in most areas of the world, but the other is certainly true.
And I agree with the poster above me about 'Happy holidays'.

I agree with you. I always feel alienated around Christmas :$

I don't get offended at all, but when I am told, "Happy Holidays," I actually feel included. Polite as it is, "Merry Christmas" kind of sends the message that only Christians matter.

@I don't get offended at all, but when I am told, "Happy Holidays," I actually feel included. Polite as it is...

no it doesn't. it basically means the person is wishing that christmas day is good for you. it's like saying "happy dec 25th"