+258

Many scientific theories are taken on faith, you can't prove everything, science only tests what we can touch and see and measure, it has limitations, and science isn't in conflict with faith, but it seems a lot of people like to argue that way. Faith is confidence, conviction, being sure, and it cannot be proven with science, science is limited, that's where faith steps in. amirite?

16 89

I don't believe religion should be used as a science. It's most a guideline for how people should act, what's wrong and what's right.

Cool story bro.

@Roy Cool story bro.

Ok best response.

science actually isn't limited, people are limited. there's only so much we can understand with current technology. give it time, science will be able to explain everything and anything.

@brunetterox915 science actually isn't limited, people are limited. there's only so much we can understand with current technology...

yeah but even if you completely disprove intelligent design there will always be those crazies who say "well... that's just a THEORY."
even though most scientific theory is based on pure, unadulterated FACT.

@yeah but even if you completely disprove intelligent design there will always be those crazies who say "well...

i honestly just think people use religion as a safety net because they don't wanna believe this is it, humanity is the end of the line. they just wanna believe that there's something bigger than us, when there very well might not be.

@brunetterox915 i honestly just think people use religion as a safety net because they don't wanna believe this is it, humanity is...

Well there might be. Plus, the belief in religion comes from our survival instinct, nobody wants to stop existing when they die, it conflicts with our programming, that's why nearly every religion is a religion of salvation: Act a certain way and you'll get to live forever!
I'd really like there to be an afterlife, but personally, I just really want to know how everything was made. Where did all of this come from?

@Montezuma Well there might be. Plus, the belief in religion comes from our survival instinct, nobody wants to stop existing...

that's actually really interesting to think about, how and when life came about. the funny thing is crazy fundamentalist christians have this HUGE problem with the theory of evolution, but that theory only details change over time, not cellular genesis, which is what they actually have a problem with.
i'm personally with all of the scientists who think that the first self-replicating organism had RNA as genetic material.

God created it all. In the beginning there was God, and He created the heavens and the earth. He created everything. Plants, animals, the universe, and mankind.(You can read about this in Genesis 1 in the Bible) Also, there is an afterlife: heaven or hell. You can read about both of these topics in the Bible, the most amazing book on the planet. You'll also find there that God loves you SO much and wants a personal relationship with you. He sent his only son, Jesus, to die on the cross for your sins, and will wipe them away if you believe in Him and what His son did for you on the cross. If you believe in Him, you will live with God forever in eternity. "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son, that whoever believes in Him, shall not perish, but have eternal life."(John 3:16)

@God created it all. In the beginning there was God, and He created the heavens and the earth. He created...

the bible isn't scientific proof. quoting it doesn't mean anything scientifically. you can say these things, but you have no factual logic to back it up.

did god create dinosaurs? nothing in the bible mentions them. (probs because they exsisted before the authors of the bible, and if they existed before then earth and life did too. kinda makes god seem kinda silly?)

@did god create dinosaurs? nothing in the bible mentions them. (probs because they exsisted before the authors of...

wow, did u check the Bible to see if there is mention of dinosaurs before you made a very dumb assumption... read the book of Job and then try and say it doesn't mention dinosaurs. And God was the author, everyone else wrote what they were told to write

thatsjustmiis avatar thatsjustmii Yeah You Are 0Reply
@thatsjustmii wow, did u check the Bible to see if there is mention of dinosaurs before you made a very dumb assumption... read...

right, god told everyone what to write. do you know how many times the bible has been revised, cut up, edited, and added to over the years? kings could cut out parts of the bible if they didn't like them, the "original" bible has been mangled to the point of non-recognition.

(Manwathiel):actually its our very 'servival instinct' and programming of all life on earth that goes against religion. why else do we fight so hard to survive when we could die and live forever in paradise?! an after life is wish-thinking

There IS another life when you die; you either go to heaven or hell. You don't cease to exist.

@There IS another life when you die; you either go to heaven or hell. You don't cease to exist.

scientifically prove it to me. you can't.

And I'm in no way saying that there's no way god exists. i believe in god. sometimes. i'm just a skeptic, is all.

@brunetterox915 scientifically prove it to me. you can't. And I'm in no way saying that there's no way god exists. i believe in...

u can't prove that there is nothing after death either because you know what? You're not dead!

@thatsjustmii u can't prove that there is nothing after death either because you know what? You're not dead!

right, and im not trying to prove to prove to anyone that god doesnt exist. if you believe so strongly in it, show me some evidence is all im saying.

technically, you can't prove if anything exist or doesn't. You can only prove to yourself that you exist. You can't prove another person exist, another person can't prove that you exist. It could all just be a figment of your imagination.

StarKidSkys avatar StarKidSky Yeah You Are 0Reply

Even if life does continue on after death, that doesnt mean there is a heaven and hell exclusively or at all for that matter.

you definitely cease to exist. your body decomposes, your cells are broken down. people like to believe that their "soul" will somehow live on, but a "soul" isn't a real, tangible thing. it's all unique connections in your brain that make up who you are, which stop functioning when you die.
there's no god, there's nothing. life just STOPS.

@842791

Thats what I am saying, I am agnostic-but the law of conservation of energy is just that. When something dies, the energy released at death is floating out there forever or becomes a part of something else. I dont believe it goes to heaven or hell though.

@842791

yeah, the law of conservation of energy entails chemical, mechanical, kinetic, and potential energy. not "spiritual" energy. i just don't see it.
although it is a nice thought that you'll keep "living" after you die, i personally believe that you just WON'T. i mean, do animals have souls? insects? bacteria? no. how are we any different from them, aside from having an advanced brain, which leads to conscious thought? we're not. our biology is pretty much exactly the same.

@yeah, the law of conservation of energy entails chemical, mechanical, kinetic, and potential energy. not...

I am not denying anything, I am open to the possibility of existence ending at death. I do not think we are more special than animals, we ARE animals. I wasnt saying the energy was spiritual though it could be interpreted that way. It takes all of those forms of energy for us to function, and it shifts. When something dies, that energy is still out there-whether or not it is conscious. You should google Kirlian photography. There is also the theory that god is created in the brain-an illusion. This scientist used magnets to stimulate portions of the right hemisphere of the brain and the girl (religiously neutral) felt the presence of others in a room alone and whatnot-so really it may be defensive thing to calm ppl down when they die. I am not as ignorant as you may think. I am just not denying anything. I do not believe in the bible though.

@you definitely cease to exist. your body decomposes, your cells are broken down. people like to believe that their...

You should read my comment below, my take is rather different than others. I actually believe more in reincarnation than anything-Due the the Law of conservation of energy-No energy can be created or destroyed, just shifted. Well if the 'soul' is anything it is pure energy. The body actually ways 21 grams less immediately after death, that has to account for something. Just saying, I am not a bible thumper, I am agnostic.

I feel bad for you. I wish you knew what was coming after you die, and how you could change that here on earth.

@I feel bad for you. I wish you knew what was coming after you die, and how you could change that here on earth.

Ya know, it's nice you think that way, but honestly, when people make statements like that, it makes me laugh. If that's what I wanted to believe, wouldn't I already believe it?

It would be nice if this was true, but it's not.

For most people, faith is having hope because you want to believe there's something better.

I am agnostic and I believe that there is a higher power but not in the biblical sense that it is constantly watching us, I think it puts things in motion. I think if that is the case then there is science to back up intelligent design, it is just unattainable by out technology. Even the big bang theory points towards it-everything from essentially nothing. There was a show on the science channel talking about the science of intelligent design/religion. The universe and its inhabitants are a part of one living entity "god" if you wanna call it that, we are all one. That is what I call rationality.

Wow, this post is stupid on a truly epic level. I don't even know where to start on how fucking wrong it is. My brain hurts.

@The_Gregori Wow, this post is stupid on a truly epic level. I don't even know where to start on how fucking wrong it is. My...

It would be best to walk away, its not worth it. I just through in my agnostic standpoint, since everybody ignores the agnostic kid

Renegade: You are exactly right, and are a refreshing voice of reason when I see you comment =) I'm not getting in on this; I'm waiting for scrant to show up and turn it into a genuine circus.

I wish the bible was a big fiction book.

@cazhaztoez I wish the bible was a big fiction book.

The Bible IS fiction. Even a Christian cannot deny that fact. The stories were written so people could understand the word of God, they are not meant to be taken as literal fact.

@DanielJames The Bible IS fiction. Even a Christian cannot deny that fact. The stories were written so people could understand...

obviously a lot in the bible wasnt true. but there are things in the bible that theyve proven have happened. but most is just stories to say THAT stuff happened, not how it happened. And other stories are just to teach the reader a lesson or for them to get some kind of message out of it, basically like you said

I don't! Life would have no prupose or meaning!

@I don't! Life would have no prupose or meaning!

Seriously, life CAN have purpose WITHOUT the bible being true. So many closed off minds in one place.

I am agnostic and I do not believe in the bible, but I do believe we have a purpose and the possibilities of intelligent creation. JUST because you dont believe in the bible doesnt meant that you dont believe in afterlife/purpose. I love the universe, the universe is my 'god'

Hahaha anon =P

Btw... you guys do realize that your Jesus was born in the summer, right? And they chose 12/25 for the express purpose of overshadowing older religions? It's not literally "Jesus's birthday", you religitard. Your celebrations are no more valid than anyone elses.

@The_Gregori Hahaha anon =P Btw... you guys do realize that your Jesus was born in the summer, right? And they chose 12/25...

lol I think it was a circus before scrant showed up, like I could barely believe what I was reading. Its just really exhausting to deal with ignorance. I mean I dont care if someone is a christian and whatnot, if that makes them feel good and they believe it would guide them through a fulfilling life then thats cool. I wont judge them for that-Just dont try to argue nonsense about how dinosaurs are not real or their fossils were just put there by god.
Oh yeah and the Christmas tree was from a pagan tradition, as well as easter eggs and bunnies (pagan fertility symbols): HA and they bitch about how non-religious people celebrate Christmas/Easter. Its all good though, I know I am happy and am on an elevated level of consciousness and I dont need structured religion to achieve that-as I take pieces of knowledge from various belief systems. Yay for long comments, I just love to rant xD

WHERE IS SCRANTONCITY??

Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed
Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved.

I can understand why people are religous, I mean they must be so happy thinking they will live on. But I just can't buy it, it sounds son stupid and there is not one bit of evidence.

what a bunch of unsubstantiated fluff. ha-ha "faith" is deluded people believing despite science. To say that the two can co-exist is ridiculous! Science goes against the very heart of religion. While open minded religious apologists are better than the other kind; they are, I think still deluding themselves.

@what a bunch of unsubstantiated fluff. ha-ha "faith" is deluded people believing despite science. To say that the...

I am a Christian and nothing scientific that I've read has ever contradicted with my faith. Science is just a way to prove it right in some cases. Like the big bang theory? Alot of "Bible Thumpers" are upset by it, but really it states that a concentrated point of energy pretty much erupted and formed the universe. What if God was that concentrated point? Of course there is no way to prove it right, but no way to prove it wrong either and that is where science falls apart. Literally, the string theory and age universal age equations begin to fall apart when they approach the time of creation or zero.

StarKidSkys avatar StarKidSky Yeah You Are +1Reply

What the fuck are you on?

freddos avatar freddo No Way -3Reply

This dude is right. The first step of science is observation. I do not think any of you were there to observe the world "evolve" or to hear a "big bang" ... if u can't see it but you believe it, its called faith...
its soo sad but funny at the same time that we will do anything to deny the existence of God including making up a theory on how we think the world evolved and using "proof" like the rock layers ( which could not have formed over 40 million years because in a lot of places the rock is bent meaning it would have to have settled quickly in something like a flood) so we can eliminate Him, but you can't. And btw if you don't believe in God, you shouldn't get a thing for Christmas or Easter since those are celebrations of his son's life, death, and resurection

thatsjustmiis avatar thatsjustmii Yeah You Are -3Reply
@thatsjustmii This dude is right. The first step of science is observation. I do not think any of you were there to observe the...

Christmas is no longer defined as strictly a "religious holiday." Over time, society has transformed Christmas into a universal holiday centered around generosity and family. The majority of people who celebrate the holiday do not actively observe Christianity.

@DanielJames Christmas is no longer defined as strictly a "religious holiday." Over time, society has transformed Christmas into...

thats stupid because A: the holiday part (with santa and all that) was started by Saint Nick (SAINT nick- theres no way around that), B: it has Christ in the name, C: It's understandable that people celebrate it justt for the happiness and presents and stuff, but seriously. Get your own holiday. Its not even the same thing when you take away Jesus and God and the everlasting love they gave/give us. which is what it is REALLY about

@BaconIsGoodForMe thats stupid because A: the holiday part (with santa and all that) was started by Saint Nick (SAINT nick- theres no...

The majority of Christians do not celebrate "the birth of Christ," they celebrate family and presents. Very few people actually celebrate the birth of Jesus. Instead of demanding that people "get their own holiday," just accept that fact and move on. Honestly, does it affect you at all?

@DanielJames The majority of Christians do not celebrate "the birth of Christ," they celebrate family and presents. Very few...

just because fewer people know and celebrate Christmas does not change the meaning at all.

Actually that is completely false. A lot of people i know (unless they are spoiled brats who only want gifts) DO celebrate the birth of Christ which is really the root of being thankful for their family and all of the blessings they have. And yes, there are those "Christians" that could care less about Jesus, but those arent really Christians are they? And sorry if that sounded like it really bothers me that Atheists and agnostics celebrate Christmas. It doesnt. I just think it's weird. But it bothers the other religions and the atheists too. Some people so much, in fact, that they complain to store owners for their workers for saying Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays because it is offensive to them

@BaconIsGoodForMe Actually that is completely false. A lot of people i know (unless they are spoiled brats who only want gifts) DO...

Seriously, a MAJORTIY of young Christians do not actively participate in Christianity. Meaning, yes, maybe they attend a weekly mass...but they only go because they are forced. Unless you live in a very conservative and small town, it's common knowledge that most people are there for reasons other than to serve the Lord.

How exactly does a "real" Christian celebrate the birth of Christ?

Why do you find it weird that agnostics and atheists celebrate a holiday that has become more universal than religious? Especially when you consider the fact that most agnostics/atheists live in a family that is traditionally religious.

@DanielJames Seriously, a MAJORTIY of young Christians do not actively participate in Christianity. Meaning, yes, maybe they...

yes YOUNG Christians. I admit i am forced to go to mass sometimes. And my parents were the same way. They even stopped going in college. But they realized something was missing and they felt lost and then they went back to God. And some people dont feel that emptiness and are content with no God when they grow up and thats ok. Anyway, now my parents are perfectly model Christians. granted they arent perfect but thats fine. Not many people are believe it or not.

By thanking God for everything Jesus did for us and such. By being a good person and praying and all that

I dont know, it's just weird to me. Maybe it's just me. But the family thing makes more sense than just randomly being atheist with your own kids and celebrating Christmas. THATS weird because it serves no purpose. Again, this is just my opinion, im not trying to prove a point here. But you asked

JESUS CHRIST IS NOT A RELIGION! it is perfectly true that Christmas has become commercialized but it has always been universal! No matter what we try to do you can`t remove the truth from our history. Wish people Happy holidays or seasons greetings but we aren`t celebrating because we`re thankful for the weather or a no name holiday it is CHRISTmas for one reason.

thatsjustmiis avatar thatsjustmii Yeah You Are -2Reply
@thatsjustmii JESUS CHRIST IS NOT A RELIGION! it is perfectly true that Christmas has become commercialized but it has always...

lolwut. No shit, Jesus Christ is not a religion. After that statement I honestly cannot make sense of what you were trying to say.

Jesus Christ isn't a religion. And that is the day we celebrate his birthday so if you want to have another day to give gifts to loved ones and eat aweswome food, pick a different day than pick a different day cuz December 25 is taken

@DanielJames December 25th was taken before Christmas. It was originally a day to celebrate pagan gods.

yeah and then they made it Jesus's birthday to cancel out the pagans. A ton of stuff in the bible is trying to cancel out the pagans because it was so wrong

@BaconIsGoodForMe they sacraficed people....

When you said "the bible is trying to cancel out the pagans because it was so wrong," were you implying that pagan beliefs are incorrect or that pagan beliefs are morally wrong?

@BaconIsGoodForMe morally wrong

Well pagans were there ages before christians, why are they so morally wrong-They celebrated nature and the earths cycles. You do not know anything about the pagan religions. They were not devil worshiping, orgy goers like you think they were.

@Well pagans were there ages before christians, why are they so morally wrong-They celebrated nature and the earths...

I never said they were devil worshipping orgy goers? i just said ancient Pagans made human sacrafices...
And i actually do know a good bit about Pagans because i take a theology class and we learn about pretty much all of the religions. So yeah, dont tell me i dont something when i clearly do

@BaconIsGoodForMe morally wrong

Then nevermind. I thought you were claiming that pagan beliefs are less accurate than Christian beliefs.

@DanielJames Then nevermind. I thought you were claiming that pagan beliefs are less accurate than Christian beliefs.

No, i generally respect religions and beliefs and all that. Just not like animal/ human sacrafices haha. and not Antitheists... that just freaks me out

You said its wrong because they sacrificed animals and people. Before Christ came around God required animal sacrifices to wash away sins. In the old testament a man almost sacrificed HIS OWN SON! And I'm pretty sure Jesus was the ultimate sacrifice for OUR sins. We sacrifised people too, love. I'm a Christion but honestly some people give us bad names.

@StarKidSky You said its wrong because they sacrificed animals and people. Before Christ came around God required animal...

Well animals are more understandable but... still. i just think thats gross. Yes but that was to see if Abraham (or Abram or whatever his name was at that time) trusted God wholeheartedly. God never intended for his son to die. And technically Jesus was sacraficed by Jews hahah. But i agree. Any past religons give those religons now a bad name

And the fact that there is the word "God" in the pledge of allegiance. And AD and BC. which mean Anno domini (or somthing) which means in the year of our lord, and BC which means before Christ. which is used by the entire world pretty much. though they did make new abbreviations for that like Before christian Era but lets be honest... no one uses that.But I know it's different because that all depended on the people that came up with that and blah blah but it's accepted in society so atheists and other religions shouldnt bitch about it. that was the origional religion of france and england and all of our origins. but thats where we came from. they are the minority and they came second so christians have the right, quite frankly

@And the fact that there is the word "God" in the pledge of allegiance. And AD and BC. which mean Anno domini (or...

BCE means 'Before Common Era' not 'Before Christian Era'

Oh and we came second to the dinosaurs, so obviously if they returned, we should let them have the earth back, according to your philosophy.

@brunetterox915 BCE means 'Before Common Era' not 'Before Christian Era' Oh and we came second to the dinosaurs, so obviously if...

oh im sorry. I forgot haha.

and that makes no sense. because dinosaurs arent as smart as us (and if atheists think they are smarter than Christians... well that just pisses me off) so we could easily kill them with our technolgy. well maybe not easily exactly but you know what i mean.
But i see what you mean, i'm just saying that atheists shouldnt try to change things to the point where they try to cancel out God from the whole nation

@oh im sorry. I forgot haha. and that makes no sense. because dinosaurs arent as smart as us (and if atheists...

Such christ like thinking. "kill them off with our technology" for all we know the could be just as intelligent if not more so. Perhaps if they were (forgive the reference) varelse (not one if us, human, but hostile. As opposed to ramen not human, but not hostile) then the genocide might be forgiveable.

That is just a silly thought. It is not JUST between atheists and christians. I have been stating my agnostic argument on here and I am saying that you CAN believe in the afterlife without being christian or believing in the bible. There is soooooooo much more out there than JUST CHRISTIANS AND ATHEISTS.