+298

Pick between you or my 'religion'? Sorry, but between being in a relationship with you and the man that died to spend forever with me, it isn't exactly a hard choice. amirite?

Relationships
23 85

"Died to spend forever me"..?

That sounds really, really creepy.

I don't have friends shallow enough to make me choose.

Embezzlements avatar Embezzlement Yeah You Are +9Reply

I will never have this problem ever.

Although it's worded kind of creepy, why would he make her choose anyway?

@Although it's worded kind of creepy, why would he make her choose anyway?

Exactly, because if he actually loved her, he wouldn't make her choose and would accept her and her religion. So choosing Jesus is the right way to go anyways.

@Exactly, because if he actually loved her, he wouldn't make her choose and would accept her and her religion. So...

Actually, we aren't supposed to marry non-Christians... So that wouldn't ever be a problem.

@HighSocietyRedneck Wait are you serious? Your not supposed to marry outside of your religion?

Not true, in Christianity you can marry who ever you want, the problem would be that the non Christian would probably be prohibited to marry someone out of their religion (If for example we're talking about a Muslim or a Jew) .

Pulchers avatar Pulcher Yeah You Are 0Reply

Yet you wonder why you're single...

I changed my mind and said, "Yeah you are!" because you are right, it isn't a hard choice. I would choose my relationship.

Heavens_Heros avatar Heavens_Hero Yeah You Are +7Reply

What do you mean? I didn't say anything about not loving you, just don't make me choose, because I'll choose God

As I said, this will never be a problem of mine. My BF and I are agnostic and we have grown together and connected more spiritually than many other couples.

i'd pick not getting into that relationship in the first place.

So basically you are obligated to pick your religion and also jesus, over a happy relationship?

Heavens_Heros avatar Heavens_Hero Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Heavens_Hero So basically you are obligated to pick your religion and also jesus, over a happy relationship?

Not obligated, no. Tell me, which would you choose:

Your father, who slaves away to make your life the best he could. He sacrificed all his free time to make you happy. He gave you whatever you wanted (within reason), taught you ethics, and raised you to be the functioning man/woman you are today. Obviously you love him dearly.

Now, a person whom you fancy comes along. Y'all hang out, and s/he expresses his/her interest in you. But, the only thing is, s/he gives you an ultimatum: Reject your father, or reject me.

Which will you choose?

scrantoncitys avatar scrantoncity Yeah You Are -1Reply
@scrantoncity Not obligated, no. Tell me, which would you choose: Your father, who slaves away to make your life the best he...

Well in my opinion, that analogy does not make sense. In order for my significant other to want me to reject my father, there must be something he is doing very wrong. (ie. Get drunk and beat me, verbally abuse me, etc.) However, if my "father" wanted me to break up with the one I love and gave me an ultimatum, I would pick my loved one.

The only issue I have with this post is that most religious people are subconsciously obligated to pick their religion over anything else. Again, in my opinion, religious people are obligated to do good and to choose religion over their relationships because they don't want to do the religion wrong. So on some level of your mind, you feel like you have to obey the religion because you don't want to go to hell. Now you are just trying to get into heaven for all the wrong reasons.

Heavens_Heros avatar Heavens_Hero Yeah You Are +5Reply
@Heavens_Hero Well in my opinion, that analogy does not make sense. In order for my significant other to want me to reject my...

Okay, the reason is because your father agrees with the Health Care bill, and your significant other doesn't. Or because your father supported the war in Iraq. Something like that. Whom would you choose?

No, I'm doing it because my Father told me what is right and wrong, and He knows what's best for me. Tell me, have your parents forbidden you from doing something, ever? Like maybe stay up late watching a movie when you were younger, or limited the amount of snacks you can eat? Yeah, they did that because they love you, and they know what's best for you. I guarantee you thought that staying up late wasn't bad, but they knew it would affect you. Also, you probably thought "What's the harm in one more cookie?" But they knew.

I'm saying we don't have the foresight to know how our actions affect us. Our God told us specifically what's bad for you, so I will obey that.

But, go ahead and answer: Whom will you pick, your father, or your significant other?

scrantoncitys avatar scrantoncity Yeah You Are +1Reply
@scrantoncity Okay, the reason is because your father agrees with the Health Care bill, and your significant other doesn't. Or...

Because, I for one, believe that anyone is allowed to believe whatever they want. Christian, athiest, muslim, whatever. But if I was dating someone that made me choose them or my beliefs, then yes, I would choose my beliefs. However, I am always open to new ideas and to change my beliefs as well, so is it not a big deal to challenge those beliefs.

Same thing goes for religious people as well. Shouldn't you respect my beliefs as well? Shouldn't I be aloud and have the right to my own beliefs? Let's say I dated a hardcore christian, and things are going fine and we are starting to fall for one another. Then she tries to convert me and become a christian. It is not wrong of me to deny it, is it?

Heavens_Heros avatar Heavens_Hero Yeah You Are +4Reply

Ok, maybe we are getting this off wrong. So what you are saying is, without all these hypothetical situations, is that your significant other is making you leave your religion?

Heavens_Heros avatar Heavens_Hero Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Heavens_Hero Ok, maybe we are getting this off wrong. So what you are saying is, without all these hypothetical situations, is...

Uh, no, that wouldn't ever happen with me. But, what, are you incapable of understand WHY I would choose my Father over the fleeting desires of another human. You asked if we were obligated. No, we aren't obligated. I'm picking the best option. Who is smarter than our God?

Seriously, answer the question, or give up. Don't plead ignorance.

scrantoncitys avatar scrantoncity Yeah You Are 0Reply
@scrantoncity Uh, no, that wouldn't ever happen with me. But, what, are you incapable of understand WHY I would choose my Father...

Let's just leave it at this. You believe what you want, as long as it does not burden or harm me, and I'll believe what I want. Obviously when someone you're dating is making you choose your beliefs or them is wrong. Regardless of what you choose to believe. No one has the right to change that. But when I choose to be with someone that is christian, and they want me to become one of them, or else her religion says that I cannot be with them, that is just as wrong.

@Heavens_Hero Let's just leave it at this. You believe what you want, as long as it does not burden or harm me, and I'll believe...

But that isn't what this is about! Read the post. You were trying to understand why we would choose our religion. Now you're contesting your first point?

scrantoncitys avatar scrantoncity Yeah You Are -3Reply
@scrantoncity But that isn't what this is about! Read the post. You were trying to understand why we would choose our religion...

I wasn't trying to understand. I know why you would choose that. My original point was saying that you would choose religion because subconciously you are obligated to side with your religion due to you not wanting to do anything wrong in "God's" eyes. If you feel like you have to side with God, then you are in the religion for the wrong reasons. There is no such thing as a selfless good deed. Every single thing you do in life is for a selfish reason. Even if you think breaking up with that person because they are making you choose the religion or them is the right thing to do, it's wrong. You WANTED to be with that person, you love them very much, but the one thing that is wrong is that they want you to leave your religion, so you are obligated to break up with them. THAT's the point I was making originally.

@Heavens_Hero I wasn't trying to understand. I know why you would choose that. My original point was saying that you would choose...

Oh, basically you're saying that no matter what I think I'm doing it for, it's for me? Hmm.

You think I feel obligated? Alright. Which would you choose, your father, or your significant other, given the conditions I described above?

@scrantoncity Oh, basically you're saying that no matter what I think I'm doing it for, it's for me? Hmm. You think I feel...

Yes, exactly. Do you think I am wrong?Well first of all, only an idiot would break up with their other because the other's parent believes that. And I would never date an idiot. So I would choose my dad cuz my dad did nothing wrong. He just chilled there.

@Heavens_Hero Yes, exactly. Do you think I am wrong?Well first of all, only an idiot would break up with their other because the...

What? You aren't making any sense...
"Well first of all, only an idiot would break up with their other because the other's parent believes that."
What are you talking about? YOU came up with that ridiculous scenario. I never said anything about your father opposing your relationship. No. You brought that up. And that isn't relevant at all to anything.

You'd choose your dad? Okay. There we go. Me too. I'll choose my Father over a potential spouse, if she made me choose.

@scrantoncity What? You aren't making any sense... "Well first of all, only an idiot would break up with their other because...

It doesnt have to be between religion and no-religion. Like, my art teacher was christian and she married a jew, so she converted to Judaism-thats kinda like the same as the post. She changed religions to marry a dude. I dont think she was wrong.

No you're the one who brought up the dad/bill thing. I was saying he just chillled there and didn't say anything about the relationship.

Now don't compare it to the religion thing because it's not the same.

Heavens_Heros avatar Heavens_Hero Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Heavens_Hero No you're the one who brought up the dad/bill thing. I was saying he just chillled there and didn't say anything...

Uh, I didn't say anything about a father opposing the marriage or whatever...

How is it not the same...? Is something wrong with you?

I want you to watch this video and its entirety, just do it. It wont hurt you. This just sums up a lot of what I feel

@ I want you to watch this video and its entirety, just...

I watched about five minutes of it. And that sums it up. This guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

"In light of this unarguable fact..." what? Did he just say the Big Bang happened, and you can't deny it? Is that what I heard. Tell me I didn't hear that. Are you kidding me? What evidence, at all, is there that the big bang happened? Tell me... Did someone witness it? Did someone recreate it? Did someone read about it from a primary source? Uh... No. The scientists just decided that they believe that it could happen. There are no facts supporting their claims. There is nothing to validate that statement.

@scrantoncity I watched about five minutes of it. And that sums it up. This guy doesn't know what he's talking about. "In...

You need to watch the whole thing but whatever, I'm surprised you even made 5 minutes through.

@I pity you.

Are you saying you don't mind lies, as long as they support your claims? Pathetic. No wonder so many lies are in the textbooks trying to trick kids.

@scrantoncity Are you saying you don't mind lies, as long as they support your claims? Pathetic. No wonder so many lies are in...

Its not a fucking lie, you are the one that couldnt watch the video even though it says so much more. It is a fact that stars blow up, and thats what he was talking about there ("in light of this unarguable fact") Supernovas (which are NOT the same as the big bang) happen-and out of such destruction, comes life/elements that form life. I pity you because your mind is so closed off, it is easier for you to have a religion than to actually think. You can not handle reality. You obviously cant comprehend the universe. You say its all lies when all you have to back your argument is religion.
All you care about it disproving evolution

@Its not a fucking lie, you are the one that couldnt watch the video even though it says so much more. It is a fact...

Actually, all I care about is getting people to understand the lies scientists use to trick them into believing evolution. If the lies are exposed, evolution crumbles, for it has no real basis.

"You can not handle reality." Lolwut? You think that's what this is about? You're sorely mistaken.

The atoms in our bodies came from stars. thats how elements are formed, within the pressurized furnace of a star. Star explodes, and sends atoms flying onward. Some of these atoms have come to be a part of us. Is that more clear?

@scrantoncity Orly? How do you know this, exactly?

http://geology.com/nasa/nasa-un...pictures.shtml
This is a photo of a galaxy, you can not deny that this is real. It is real, we inhabit one. If there is a creator (God), then he made this-and he made the billions of other galaxies out there. If you cant even accept that then there is something wrong. Whats the issue with evolution anyway? Just because evolution happened doesnt mean it automatically disproves intelligent creation. Honestly, it is more incredible/beautiful to think that we came so far from where we were-evolving from apes to highly intelligent beings that we are now-than just magically appearing.

@http://geology.com/nasa/nasa-un...pictures.shtml This is a photo of a galaxy, you can not deny that this is...

Wow. Learn simple comprehension. I'm tired of arguing with an idiot incapable of using common sense.

Obviously it doesn't disprove a creator. It just shows there doesn't need to be one.

And evolution didn't even happen; why are you insisting that it did? There aren't any real facts supporting it, and last time I checked, "science" had to be observable, testable things. Where did they observe trans-species evolution, again?

You simply need to recognize that evolution did NOT happen, and suddenly, everything makes sense.

That is where all elements came from. Also, if you watched the whole video-he does say that the universe could have been intelligently created. If you watch the 2nd viedeo I posted-He says that many Christians believe all scientists are out to lie to disprove creationism. I believe in science but I also believe there is a creator-just not in the biblical sense. I think its really fucking hilarious that you think you are so right, yet you deny simple truths-such as elements coming from stars that explode-Stars are fueled by heavy elements, they explode and other elements are created. The whole earth was formed by elements that come from neighboring supernovas.

@That is where all elements came from. Also, if you watched the whole video-he does say that the universe could have...

you cant handle it-you cant handle the idea that elements came from stars exploding, even though it is the truth. How do you think the sun exists? a magic ball of fire? Fire needs fuel to burn, like wood. A star burns on heavy elements like uranium. Once it runs out of fuel, it implodes on itself and lighter elements form-spreading all about

@you cant handle it-you cant handle the idea that elements came from stars exploding, even though it is the truth...

Wow you're a blubbering imbecile, you know that?

What? You said I couldn't handle reality... And now you're talking about theoretical "science" incapable of being observed or recreated. Tell me, what's the evidence that what you say is true?

Also, I misunderstood the video, apparently. I thought he said the Big Bang was undeniable. Was he talking about something else? Like the stars thing? Well that's not observable, either. Tell me, how do they know this is fact?

http://www.youtube.com/user/phi...36/kvzidL5KJMY
If you wanna disprove evolution soooo much, how about you try to dig up some modern rabbit fossils in pre-Cambrian stone.

@http://www.youtube.com/user/phi...36/kvzidL5KJMY If you wanna disprove evolution soooo much, how about...

And human bones, "accurately" dated to be 75,000 years old, and yet, two layers of rock under that, a US military button. I don't know about you, but I DON'T think that the US had an army some 80,000 years ago. Maybe, but doubtful.

personally, i would dump the friend, not because of my love for god or anything, but out of the fact that that friend couldn't accept my religion. what kind of shitty friend asks you to change who you are just to stay friends with the?

I love this. It made my day totally complete. I've been a Catholic all my life, and taught what I should believe in, yadda yadda, but never payed much attention to it, it's really just how I live. Believing in God is just another, normal, everyday thing. But worded into "the man who died to spend forever with me" totally made my day. It my mind, it sort of made Jesus seem more like a man than God. I actually kind of like it that way. It's easier to relate to.

If they really loved you they wouldn't make you choose, you would just agree to disagree.

I know many people who have parents of different religions, and they make it work just fine. :)

Anyone who would force you to give up something you truly believe in and are passionate about to be with them isn't worth it anyway.

^ these arguments entertain me(:

If i've understood this right. Personally i'd rather have someone who i love (and i do) and who loves me back who is physically here than anything else. Not only this, but loving a God is very different from loving a spouse. So is rather silly to compare. It would be interesting to know if the poster is or has ever been in love with a human being within their timespan in the way a traditional couple is. In addition, it seems somewhat blase to call a realtionship 'of desire fr someone else' or whatever was said. A true love for a person isnt just desire.

@Whiteshadow If i've understood this right. Personally i'd rather have someone who i love (and i do) and who loves me back who...

loving God IS different from loving a spouse; loving God is SO much more fulfilling. harder, yes, but fulfilling. that's why people are able to go into monasteries and things like that. and understand i'm am in no way saying that marriage isn't fulfilling, but since you seem to know how profound the love in a marriage is, you should understand that being in a relationship with God is 10000x better, since God is the only one who can love you perfectly.

I could be totally wrong, but I thought God and Jesus were two different people.
Didn't Jesus die for your life and God create the world? If I'm wrong, my bad.

@I could be totally wrong, but I thought God and Jesus were two different people. Didn't Jesus die for your life and...

Apparently Jesus is God's son, but they're also the same person. It's confusing...

@864384

God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are all different "parts" you could say of the same God. For example your dad would be your father, but he is also a husband to his wife, and a son to his parents. So it's one person that has different roles

well, I agree with your original post. I understand what everyone else is saying though, about how weird or not-okay it is for someone's boy/girlfriend to make them choose, but I think that's becasue they don't understand the relationship between God and those who follow him. of course, it's different for everyone, and that's just my view.

So you're going to pick the real thing right? you know, the thing that isn't in some fiction book?

@Rawrcat So you're going to pick the real thing right? you know, the thing that isn't in some fiction book?

So, you think it is okay for someone to make you choose between following your religion and staying with him/her?

DanielJamess avatar DanielJames Yeah You Are +8Reply

I'm the original poster and everyone is right. I do know what love is, and I did love him, but I wasn't IN love with him. It turned out he was a jerk, which was why it wasn't a hard choice at all. It just made me realize how manipulative he was.

Momokas avatar Momoka Yeah You Are 0Reply

If I kill myself will you love me?

Alrighty, that is... odd.

@863806

Yeah I agree. It's borderline the same as dumping someone because they're not Edward.

Dugis avatar Dugi No Way +12Reply
@863806

Still, nobody should be forced into that choice.

@864879

If you were religious, you would not renounce your beliefs because your significant others said so. For you, as an atheist (presumably), it would be similar to your significant other telling you to profess your love for God in order to stay in the relationship.

DanielJamess avatar DanielJames Yeah You Are +4Reply
@864912

Answer me this: would you declare your love for God and attend church each and every Sunday in order to stay with your significant other or would you tell them to fuck off?

@864946

That was my whole point.

LOL Religious people are stupid.

@MashedBanana LOL Religious people are stupid.

DanielJamess avatar DanielJames Yeah You Are +6Reply

I'm an atheist, but that's a horrible thing to say. Don't make fun of people for their beliefs.

exactly, if any religeon was true, surely there would only be one religeon?

@Janeoliverx exactly, if any religeon was true, surely there would only be one religeon?

Don't insult religious people and call them stupid if you are unable to spell religion correctly.

Yeah, if any burger chain made burgers, surely there would only be one burger chain? So McDonnalds, Wendy's, and Burger King obviously don't actually make burgers. And I don't care if I spelled McDonnalds wrong.

Was that aimed towards me?