+232

It's not gay if you're a guy and you play the flute. It's only gay when you close your eyes and sway to the music, amirite?

deafening_silences avatar Music
7 24
The voters have decided that deafening_silence is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Actually it's still not gay because saying that it is is offensive.

@swimlax Actually it's still not gay because saying that it is is offensive.

that's ridiculous to say. People these days get offended too easily JUST so they can make a big deal of getting offended.

Justifying your comment is just as bad as when a black person gets offended because they were described by being black. It's not racist, it's just a discription.

@that's ridiculous to say. People these days get offended too easily JUST so they can make a big deal of getting...

Exactly. I think it's ridiculous that people use gay as an insult. @1059009 (Anonymous): It's not at all like describing a black person to be black, because that is stating a fact. In this case, you're using "gay" to describe something as "stupid", which IS offensive and ignorant.

I get the feeling that their comment meant that enjoying the music is not gay...either way there's nothing wrong with trying to persuade not to use gay in a derrogatory way.

On a side note, I agree with people getting offended too easily, I just feel like this isn't one of those instances.

Wynauts avatar Wynaut No Way +5Reply

Its definitely not the same. Your calling a black person black because he IS black.

This post is calling a person gay because they sway to music. Its implying that someone is gay because they do something that is culturally considered feminine.

This post is more like saying "thats so black" to someone that got arrested. Its stereotyping which is offensive.

Woooow. I love how all these people are all "How dare you use the term gay in vain!!1!1!"
I doubt the OP meant that a guy who plays flute and sways to the music is ACTUALLY gay. It's a joke. Get over yourselves.

heysoulsisters avatar heysoulsister Yeah You Are +5Reply

this is my 6th year playing flute...out of all 26 I know, all are girls. The only man I've met who played flute did indeed sway to his beautiful playing and was very gay. There are straight guy flutes out there, but if you study people in band, you will realize that all instruments attract a certain personality, and that the more feminine of men tend to play high woodwind instruments.

Neither factor mean a guy is more gay than another guy. Instruments shouldn't really be seen as gender specific and anyone can enjoy music by swaying to it whilst playing. It's a natural thing to do if you have any kind of musicality..

THAT DUDE IN SERENDIPITY! sorry... first thing i thought of.

I'm a piano player and I close my eyes and sway to the music whenever I play. It means I'm into the music and enjoy the art I spent 11 years on, unlike some who play the right notes but fail to produce music.

YuZs avatar YuZ No Way +2Reply

wait why is it gay to sway to the music? are men not supposed to sway to the music and enjoy themselves? this post makes no sense?

So is it gay to be a drummer and rock to the beat?

@So is it gay to be a drummer and rock to the beat?

i forgot who it was but i heard there is a violonist who really gets into the music

Agreed. Back in 6th grade i was the only girl that played the flute xD. But the boys did get made fun of even though they didnt "sway to the music" lmao

Sigh. I'm pretty sure you all get what I meant. Geez, just mention the word "gay" and you have people jumping all over you: "ZOMGZ THAT'S OFFENSIVE!!!1!!1!!" STFU.

wait about Pan and those people in Narnia who are half goat half man and play some kind of flute

Shame on you, ignorant OP. You're acting like gay is a bad thing. You know gay means happy too, right?

Lucis avatar Luci No Way -4Reply