+133

There needs to be more gay characters in children's cartoons, amirite?

Kuns avatar
3 98
The voters have decided that Kun is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

No. There is nothing wrong with gays, but why go out of your way to show them on tv? This is gonna turn into reverse prejudice. If anyone suggested a white character on an all black show, everyone would act like whoever suggested that was racist. This would turn into the same thing.

I think there just needs to be less gays who complain about stuff like this. I'm all for gay rights but really, who cares how many gay friends wow wow wubbzy has?

@ConnorNoonan I think there just needs to be less gays who complain about stuff like this. I'm all for gay rights but really, who...

it's about teaching kids that being gay isn't bad just like how most TV shows have a Black kid on them.

Saigots avatar Saigot Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Saigot it's about teaching kids that being gay isn't bad just like how most TV shows have a Black kid on them.

That's not to teach kids that blacks aren't bad. That's because the show needs to be "politically correct."
When I was a kid, I didn't go "oh black people are cool because of Vince from Recess"
It's just so the show isn't called "racist" because people who think they are discriminated by everyone and demand special treatment because they're gay or black are assholes.

@ConnorNoonan That's not to teach kids that blacks aren't bad. That's because the show needs to be "politically correct." When I...

if you watched programming as a kid with nothing but white people who probably wouldn't even notice but subconsciously you would identify that programming as what is normal and familiar, then when you see a black person in real life you would find it strange and be likely to form prejudice.

now if you saw two people of the same gender having a relationship you would associate that as being normal and commonplace instead of foreign and uncomfortable

People who are minorities do sometimes abuse the racism card but this is not really looking for special privileges above what majorities get it is simply a request for equal representation.

Saigots avatar Saigot Yeah You Are +4Reply
@Lkun Isn't that also brainwashing children though?

you can't avoid brainwashing people, we are all brainwashed to an extent, we have all been shaped by what we see, hear and experience.

Saigots avatar Saigot Yeah You Are +6Reply
@Saigot you can't avoid brainwashing people, we are all brainwashed to an extent, we have all been shaped by what we see...

So show them what is RIGHT!!! Jeez. Don't show them what you think is right, show them what is right and normal.

So what if a little children's show promoted homophobia? what would you consider that?

Lkuns avatar Lkun No Way 0Reply
@Lkun So what if a little children's show promoted homophobia? what would you consider that?

if a show actively promoted homophobia then the next generation would likely hate gays, it would suck hence why we must try to prevent that using pro-gay media

Saigots avatar Saigot Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Saigot if a show actively promoted homophobia then the next generation would likely hate gays, it would suck hence why we...

Little children's programing is not the place for that though. It's the same deal as adding conservative bias to history books (ie the ERA was an abomination). Any one as impressionable as children should be able to make their own decisions when they become of voting age with as little influence from the media as possible, no matter how "valiant" the cause.

Lkuns avatar Lkun No Way +4Reply
@Lkun Little children's programing is not the place for that though. It's the same deal as adding conservative bias to...

well we can't help but add media bias no matter how hard we try better to control media messages then let random messages get through. Haven't you noticed that in children shows the bad guy always loses and usually becomes happy after the hero helps him see the error of his ways, haven't you noticed that the only time they lie they get in trouble for it. All of those are media biasing they teach kids to be good if we didn't have that happen we would instead teach them that being bad gets lets you win and that lying can work.

No matter what we do there will be bias we just have control about which way that bias sways.

Saigots avatar Saigot Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Saigot well we can't help but add media bias no matter how hard we try better to control media messages then let random...

There's a fine, fine line between adding subtle themes and shoving a political agenda down the throats of children. Additionally, there is that possibility of the pendulum swaying too far. If a cartoon geared toward little children was as politically biased as 'Glee" there would probably be straightophobia. Little kids (even middle schoolers) are HIGHLY impressionable.
I agree; however, that there should be anti-bullying themes in cartoon, but it should be something as straight-forward as "bullying others because they are different is wrong"

Lkuns avatar Lkun No Way 0Reply
@Glee is straight-phobic? What are you on and where can I get some?

Oh i was saying if it were shown to little children (since they tend to exaggerate more)

I like watching "Glee" but I think that they worship Kurt WAYYYYYYY too much.

Lkuns avatar Lkun No Way -1Reply
@Lkun Oh i was saying if it were shown to little children (since they tend to exaggerate more) I like watching "Glee"...

I think that there is imbalance in character exposure (MOAR TINA PLZ), but Kurt is no more "worshiped" than Rachel. The first season was basically a straight relationship orgy. Maybe you can see the season 2 Kurt focus as overcompensating, which is a legitimate opinion, but I don't think even the hugest exaggeration of the show suggests any sort of heterophobia.

@I think that there is imbalance in character exposure (MOAR TINA PLZ), but Kurt is no more "worshiped" than Rachel...

Not so much heterophobia as placing gays on a pedestal rather than equality. Finn is essentially treated like crap for not putting Kurt's needs above his own. If Kurt is not everybody's first priority, they are treated like a pariah until they help him. I realize though that Kurt is an exaggeration because I have never met a gay person who is that overbearing and needy.

Lkuns avatar Lkun No Way 0Reply
@Lkun Not so much heterophobia as placing gays on a pedestal rather than equality. Finn is essentially treated like crap...

I don't think Kurt's behavior is glorified or justified by the show, though. He is called out on the way he treated Finn in the first season, and I do think that he will be called out on the fact that he isn't returning Finn's attempts at brotherhood. As for him being treated like crap, the club just expected him, as someone they see as a leader, to protect a team member from a dangerous situation. I think it would be exaggerating to say anyone was a pariah. And certainly Kurt does have somewhat of a self-focused, dramatic personality, similar to Rachel's, but this is because they are flawed characters. And as such, they will be annoying to some people sometimes. I, for one, appreciate that the characters aren't perfectshinyhappy models of brilliance in all aspects. But I can see how the character could rub you the wrong way, even if I disagree.

I don't think the characters sexuality should be important to cartoons in the first place whether they are hetero or homo. What do you want them to do, show Bert doing Ernie?

It's a CARTOON! Sexuality shouldn't be emphasized in cartoons whether it's heterosexual or homosexual.

Nachoss avatar Nachos No Way +10Reply

Spongebob and Patrick..........................

Well sexuality doesn't have any role in children's shows, whether it's homosexual or heterosexual. None of the characters in kids' shows have relationships, and they shouldn't because those kids are too young to have to think about dating or anything like that.

Aren't most children show characters little kids? That would be odd.
"Where is little bear? oh, he's just off making out with his new boyfriend Roberto. They met in Rio you know."

Besides, it's not going to teach kids anything. It will just make a bunch of parents mad.

Lkuns avatar Lkun No Way +6Reply

Yeah, they need to teach kids that its acceptable.

ChristinaIsMes avatar ChristinaIsMe Yeah You Are +5Reply
@ChristinaIsMe Yeah, they need to teach kids that its acceptable.

daddy government brainwashing. just sick. show them what is right.

@Straight_Pride daddy government brainwashing. just sick. show them what is right.

what is right is whastever they want in my opinion, so if they wannaa be gay, let them be gay!!! Seems fair to me. :)

ChristinaIsMes avatar ChristinaIsMe Yeah You Are +2Reply
@ChristinaIsMe what is right is whastever they want in my opinion, so if they wannaa be gay, let them be gay!!! Seems fair to me. :)

@868202 (ChristinaIsMe): Seems fine to you. But who's right? You sure don't determine right or wrong. And some people want to be thieves and murderers or date children. Seems okay to the next guy, so let them do it!!! Seems fair to them. :)
Wow you are unbelievably mislead and straight up stupid.

@Straight_Pride @868202 (ChristinaIsMe): Seems fine to you. But who's right? You sure don't determine right or wrong. And some...

how's that straight up stupid? We're talking about gays? You misleading the subject to other stuff is a different story.

ChristinaIsMes avatar ChristinaIsMe Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Straight_Pride Read the post again and understand what my point is. If you can, that is.

I can, but I'm not gonna bother cause your username says it all. There's no point in arguing with you.

ChristinaIsMes avatar ChristinaIsMe Yeah You Are 0Reply
@ChristinaIsMe I can, but I'm not gonna bother cause your username says it all. There's no point in arguing with you.

I'm sorry for being proud to be a sensible straight male. And wow, initiate the ignorant liberal tactics. You must know that I am right, if that's the case. You just don't want others to know that you agree. Or you just don't know.

If the shows even THINK of doing that, upset parents are 100% guaranteed.

@Clay_ If the shows even THINK of doing that, upset parents are 100% guaranteed.

I don't think all parents would. I mean some might, some who are homophobic, or some parents who don't want their kids exposed to that at that early age, but I know ALOT of parents who would not mind

@AvaMoonshoesMalfoy I don't think all parents would. I mean some might, some who are homophobic, or some parents who don't want their...

Did I ever say all parents would be upset? No.
What I said was that if any children's show had a homosexual character, at least one angry parent is 100% guaranteed.
Plus, those parents you know don't represent every single parent.
Also, 'a lot' is two words, not one.

(AvaMoonshoesMalfohttp://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.htmly):

Only in anime. Go on. Service those fans.

How bout.... no little kid gives a fuck about the character's sexuality! All little kids want to see is Elmo teaching numbers or Patrick getting hit in the head! Kids don't understand politics. Don't force it on them.

Phils avatar Phil No Way +5Reply

Why? What purpose does it serve?

@867490

Little kids still watch Nick and Disney...

@867557

That doesn't change the fact the little kids watch them, regardless of the age group they're aimed at.

@867720

[There*] I don't think children should be exposed to homosexuality. (When I say 'children,' I'm talking about kids yet to enter high school.) I never said that they would 'become gay,' did I? No.

@867772

1 out of 10?? Are you freaking kidding me? That's not even close to accurate

@867897

No, that's a bs statement. That's not even close. I've met like 3 gay people in my life. If 10% of people were gay it would be much more socially acceptable.

@867772

Tell me: would you expose children younger than teenagesr to sexual activity? Would you sexualize CHILDREN? Odds are, no, you wouldn't. So why would you expose children, who cannot grasp the concept of sex to a more complicated sexual concept, one that is not completely accepted, nor completely healthy?

@868812

You might want to check your definition of the word “ignorance.” Ignorance is the lack of knowledge, and I know about everything you're talking about. Yes, I know that elementary school kids are being sexualized; you know what? It's WRONG. CHILDREN should NOT be having sex, nor should they be exposed to sexual things on purpose. They're children. Homosexuality is not in the least bit healthy. It goes against the laws of nature. What I mean is that people are naturally attracted to the opposite sex, not the same sex. Also, fucking where shit comes it is not healthy. That's one of the ways that AIDS spreads. Last time I checked, AIDS is far from healthy. (Yes, I know that heterosexual couples engage in anal sex, too.) Don't dare call me ignorant, because I know what the fuck I'm talking about.

This has been a fun debate, but I have better things to do. It's obvious neither of us is going to change our views. Goodbye.

I disagree for the same reason I don't believe we need more minorities on TV. Yes, I'm against discrimination, but if it doesn't directly affect the plot, I don't care at all if they're black, white, straight, guy, etc...

obviously the characters in kid's shows are too young to be in sexual relationships, but one of the characters could be adopted and have two dads or two moms... they don't have to show anything sexual, just parents of the same gender.

Not little kid's shows. Big kid shows, like iCarly or Zack and Cody (is that still on?). Cartoons, there is hardly any mention of sexuality besides maybe one little crush.

But it would(should) definitely be acceptable in big-kid shows like that where the idea of boyfriend-girlfriends and dating is introduced.

I didn't learn what gay was til like 11, and I didn't react very well to it. So that's why I like the idea of gay people on kid's shows.

I'm gonna bring this up at my next gay-straight alliance meeting, it's a good topic. :]

hughmanitees avatar hughmanitee Yeah You Are +3Reply
@hughmanitee Not little kid's shows. Big kid shows, like iCarly or Zack and Cody (is that still on?). Cartoons, there is hardly...

You disgusting freak! Why do people like you exist? You know, you guys criticize me to no end, but I'll be laughin my head off when you all burn in hell. =D

@hughmanitee Do you have any reasons gays (not me, I'm straight) are disgusting?

Well. First, just the idea is gross and disgusting. Also, it is digusting in the sense that it disgusts me by how wrong it is and how it is supported.

@Straight_Pride Well. First, just the idea is gross and disgusting. Also, it is digusting in the sense that it disgusts me by how...

just cause you think something is disgusting doesnt give you the right to take peoples rights

hughmanitees avatar hughmanitee Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Straight_Pride notice the second reason...

they're essentially the same reason. gays and their supporters are disgusting/wrong/sacrilegious, etc.

i don't think it's a big deal either way
it's like if they do fine if they don't fine who cares right

danilols avatar danilol Yeah You Are +1Reply
@867639

Yes, please do. Your comments are like homosexual rays of sunshine and anal sex.

What about Tinkey Winkey?

who fucking cares

Why? Gay people are so sick! We don't want MORE people to be gay!

This is absolutely disgusting. Just the thought of exposing kids to such a perversion at all is horrifying. I hate to see when society collapses because of idiotic liberals (which not all are idiotic) and allows more and more evil things and deems them "okay." Not only is it a huge issue among adults, but to tell the children... God save us all. Really, this is just wrong. It truly saddens me too see this.

To all people with me, stand strong. Don't let society take away childrens' innocence and knowledge of real truth, not just what the daddy government tells them. This is a huge sign of the downfall of America, the country I love. How I wish this wouldn't be.

@Straight_Pride This is absolutely disgusting. Just the thought of exposing kids to such a perversion at all is horrifying. I...

Why is gay evil, when straight is good? Why is gay perversion while straight is not?
(Besides the bible, which also prohibits haircuts, associating with women on their period, and advocates slavery)
Don't call other people names without any reason behind it.

And please don't pull that america the beautiful crap, it gives Americans a bad name.

@hughmanitee Why is gay evil, when straight is good? Why is gay perversion while straight is not? (Besides the bible, which...

It's called the truth. Absolute truth is the reasoning. Things are right, things are wrong. Some are more obvious than others. And read up on the Bible or don't try to use it as a source, because what you said is not true.

@Straight_Pride It's called the truth. Absolute truth is the reasoning. Things are right, things are wrong. Some are more...

You're using circular logic. Your opinion is the truth because it is the absolute truth.

hughmanitees avatar hughmanitee Yeah You Are 0Reply
@hughmanitee You're using circular logic. Your opinion is the truth because it is the absolute truth.

My "opinion" is fact. It's from the truth. I didn't decide it to be that way, it just is.

@867803

ya know, I'm really a fun lovin and carefree dude. but when it comes to this, shit goes down.

@867813

its hard to tell when youre commenting online and not in person