+51

Athiests: You can't take the Christ out of Christmas. Its a Chrisitian holiday! Next thing you know, people will try to take the America out of 4th of July... amirite?

Phils avatar Internet & Apps
0 40
The voters have decided that Phil is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

When I celebrate it, it has nothing to do with Jesus. I celebrate Rudolph, Santa, presents, lights, family, snow, and good food.

@AtheisticMystic When I celebrate it, it has nothing to do with Jesus. I celebrate Rudolph, Santa, presents, lights, family, snow...

It's actually a pagan holiday. And sun worshiping religions used the "birth of Jesus" as a relation to the equinox. Just like the three days being dead and then being resurrected when the sun (from the earths pov) stays still for three days because of the earth's tilt and it starts moving in the way where the days get longer. There's multiple religions where they involve bread and fish, a virgin, etc. They mention multiple references to "entering a new age" and every time a new age starts we move into the new house in astrology, and they always match up. For example, when Jesus said moving into a house with a man with buckets carried over his shoulders, that's the sign for pices. And when the east star lines up with the three stars of orions belt, they point to the sun and when that happens were in the house of virgo, hense born of a virgin. There's a lot of other things in about 30 religions that say a story to explain the stars.

Yah, but you can't deny that the holiday is about Jesus' birth. You don't have to acknowledge it, but you have to accept it.

Phils avatar Phil Yeah You Are -16Reply

Pretty sure that a lot of the customs in Christmas were based on Paganism...

@Pretty sure that a lot of the customs in Christmas were based on Paganism...

Santa - St. Nicolas
Presents - Well, you kinda have to have one holiday with presents
Snow - Well... its in December... not really a choice...
Rudolph - I'll give you that one
Family - Huge part in Christian faith
Good Food - People just figure that you should eat well on Christmas

Phils avatar Phil Yeah You Are -9Reply
@Phil Santa - St. Nicolas Presents - Well, you kinda have to have one holiday with presents Snow - Well... its in...

Santa- Yeah that's Saint Nick, I'll give you that one.
Presents- Pagan custom
Snow- Dosn't snow on Christmas where I live (besides that's not really a custom)
Family & Good food- Pagan custom to celebrate with a feast for the Winter Solstice.

Presents: Nobody needs a holiday with presents. Christmas has kind of become a center for comercialism.
Family? I'm pretty sure thats a big part in a lot of people's lives no matter what religion.
Good Food...Nobody can argue with good food :D

America isn't a religion.

@Whutsurnaym America isn't a religion.

... facepalm Did this post say that America is a religion? It states that taking out Christ, the main reason for Christmas is comparable to taking out America (the country) from an American holiday.

Phils avatar Phil Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Phil facepalm Did this post say that America is a religion? It states that taking out Christ, the main reason for...

Good thing we didn't take America out of the fourth of July. It's a holiday based on eating a lot and blowing shit up (about the only things America is good for).

@Whutsurnaym America isn't a religion.

I'm pretty sure it was just an example.

Why would we want to take the Christ out of Christmas? Who wants a holiday called Mas?

You spelled atheist wrong...

Phils avatar Phil Yeah You Are +2Reply

Christmas is the celebration of Jesus' birth. It has adopted many pagan traditions over time, but the pagan holiday is the Winter Solstice. You don't have to celebrate the religous aspect of the holiday, but don't tell Christians they can't call THEIR holiday what they want. Keep in mind that Christmas was when God gave his Son so Christians could be saved from the evils of hell. To you it's giving gifts and spending time with family. Both groups celebrate similar concepts but it is a Christian Holiday

@yesiamrite Christmas is the celebration of Jesus' birth. It has adopted many pagan traditions over time, but the pagan holiday...

I'm not religious but i agree. It's still a christian holiday even though most of us choose to ignore that

If you call it christmas it's a christian holiday. If you call it winter solstace or whatever fair enough, but christmas is christian.

The date, in and of itself, does not matter. Christmas celebrates the birth of Christ, whether his birth actually occurred on that date or not. It is the day chosen to celebrate it, making Christmas a Christian holiday.

@kip: your argument is illogical and proves nothing. What are you trying to back up here?

Why was colebowl downvoted? All aspects except for maybe the name are borrowed from Roman pagan traditions. It's a plain and simple fact. Christians essentially claim it as their own, anyway, though.

Because by calling it christmas you're celebrating the christian holiday, even if you're not celebrating the religious part of it. I dont know why people have a problem with that, i'm fine with celebrating their holiday if it means i get presents, good food and time with my family. If you're so against celebrating the christian holiday call it winter solstace or just whatever name you want.

Dude, it's not a Christian holiday. I'm an atheist and it even pisses me off when people use the who "it's a pagan holiday!" crap. It's called Christmas. Christ - mas.

IT'S JUST A NAME. That doesn't mean you're celebrating the Christian holiday, you're celebrating whatever the hell you want no matter what you call it.

Wanna hear something you wont like? i'm an atheist, i celebrate Christmas as a commercial holiday. for me it's about family, love, and being a good person. its about the smells of gingerbread and pine. it's about giving gifts and having a good time. i don't believe in god. if there was a jesus i don't believe he was the masaih, and guess what? I love chirstmas. and i can deny Christianity all i want.
oh and Christmas was original a pagan celebration of the winter solstice, not the celebration of Jesus' birth.

vvqts avatar vvqt No Way +4Reply

Looks like you took the Christ out of Christian though.....

Christmas may be lost, but thank god people still celebrate the 4th of July in the spirit of our forefathers, dumping crates of teas in the harbor and signing treaties while wearing britches, like true Americans!

Oh wait.

"Christ" was never in Christmas. It was a pagan holiday that had nothing to do with Christianity, and then businesses took advantage of it by promoting commercialism through ideas such as Santa Claus, etc.

You can still celebrate it, just please don't pretend it has nothing to do with Jesus. Jesus was still a human whether you like it or not, and this celebrates his birth.

Phils avatar Phil Yeah You Are -2Reply
@Phil You can still celebrate it, just please don't pretend it has nothing to do with Jesus. Jesus was still a human...

Jesus wasn't born on Dec 25th. The founders of Christianity just chose Dec 25th because that's been an important date in older, more established religions. It was so people would be more receptive to the new religion of Christianity.

@Phil The only proof that Jesus existed was written a hundred years after his death. I'm not saying he didn't exist, just that it isn't a solid fact either