+347

We've heard the word "economy" more times in the past few years than previous generations have heard in their entire life, amirite?

MrRites avatar
3 4
The voters have decided that MrRite is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

...our grandparents/great-grand parents lived during the depression. I think they've heard the word more than us.

@TheresAnAppForThat ...our grandparents/great-grand parents lived during the depression. I think they've heard the word more than us.

Really? Back when there wasn't a TV in nearly every home and no internet? The great depression may have been in a worse economy, but today, thanks to infinitely more accessible forms of media, we probably have indeed heard it more.

MrRites avatar MrRite Yeah You Are +2Reply
@1000491

Just asked an old person and people hear about it more now. The mass media was easier to ignore back then and most people didn't like talking about money problems. Everyone knew sure, they did think about it a lot and more people were worse off, but it wasn't the same sort of thing.

Also most people wouldn't listen to the news non-stop. There was a news radio station but there were also music stations and radio shows (with stories and actors reading parts and sound effects). People would read or listen to music or radio shows, hang out with friends and talk, play games, etc. Most people also apparently had way more hobbies, various crafts and collections and such. Go figure.

@Just asked an old person and people hear about it more now. The mass media was easier to ignore back then and most...

Yes, exactly what I figured, thank you. People weren't half as absorbed in the media back then as they are today, nor did they have even a small percentage of the ways to access it as we do today. The word today has been slipped into commercials of every other product today and even several TV shows (non-news related) that I've seen discuss it. Back then, I imagine most people were more interested in spending time with people or outside working, playing or just doing other recreational activities than sitting in front of a radio all day, like us americans can sometimes do with a TV and computer.

MrRites avatar MrRite Yeah You Are 0Reply