+1,987

Images of brain neurons and synapses look eerily similar to images of space and galaxies, making you wonder: what if "space" is the brain or cells of some other giant creature (or maybe God) and we are a tiny part of it, and what if that creature is just a tiny part of another, larger creature, and what if, within ourselves, we are each a "universe" to other things, amirite?

amiwhites avatar
205 122
The voters have decided that amiwhite is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

like that one episode of spongebob, where there were workers in his head ordered to delete all his files on anything but fine dining and breathing.
(sorry my comment was so un-philosophical)

Just like Horton Hears a Who.

@899811

*You=dead

imagine brain surgery... that must be scary as fuck
a big ass doctor with a mask on towering above the universe

You just blew my mind. Epic.

hereiamsamiams avatar hereiamsamiam Yeah You Are +28Reply
@hereiamsamiam You just blew my mind. Epic.

you just killed all the people that lives on the planets in your head

Icels avatar Icel Yeah You Are +213Reply

holy crap I never thought someone else ever thought of this...I've considered this possibility for ages.

YuZs avatar YuZ Yeah You Are +22Reply

Kinda like at the end of Men in Black when at the end their galaxy was just a marble in a monsters game...

saracntowers avatar saracntower Yeah You Are +22Reply

... Our bodies are a "universe" to other organisms.

Also if you think about it, the ocean/deep sea is a totally different universe to its inhabitants, sea creatures are unaware of anything existing outside the ocean-except for maybe dolphins, but they are brilliant creatures.

I made an anonymous post like this but referring to living on a cell.

great minds think alike.
Or, in your case, great endless universes within each other think alike. d smilie

orangesockss avatar orangesocks Yeah You Are +16Reply

I've thought of something similar, too. Except my analogy was with atoms and molecules. Very close, though.

@DryTurtle I used to think that until Chemistry 30 told me how atoms actually work :P

I took chem last year, and hated it. I understand how atoms work, I was just sayin'.

@Sean I took chem last year, and hated it. I understand how atoms work, I was just sayin'.

No, no, no. Chemistry 30. There's a difference. You THINK you know how atoms work.

@No, no, no. Chemistry 30. There's a difference. You THINK you know how atoms work.

If it's that much worse than just plain chemistry, there's no way I'd even try it. Haha

@Sean If it's that much worse than just plain chemistry, there's no way I'd even try it. Haha

Lol. Have you noticed how middle school teachers told you that electrons followed a path around the nucleus, but now the high school teachers tell us that it's not actually true? It's that sort of thing. They basically explain how they've been lying to you for a while now.

No, YOU think you know how atoms and electrons work. No one really knows.

@Courage_Wolf You mean like we're atoms or molecules to larger organisms?

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. We don't quite see the big picture yet, and we can't see small enough to see the other "worlds" inside of the atoms that make up our world.

Considering the state our planet is in now, the giant creature we're living in probably has a headache or recurring nosebleeds or something.

ForeverAScones avatar ForeverAScone Yeah You Are +14Reply

You have just inspired me to write my short story! Haha thank you!!

herpes lawyer

@herpes lawyer

(not optional.): I don't get it.

@(not optional.): I don't get it.

it was in another post

redsoxgirlie95s avatar redsoxgirlie95 Yeah You Are 0Reply
@redsoxgirlie95 it was in another post

Well gosh golly gee now I totally get it.

@herpes lawyer

(not optional.): i was just about to do that

redsoxgirlie95s avatar redsoxgirlie95 Yeah You Are +2Reply
@redsoxgirlie95 (not optional.): i was just about to do that

(not optional.): @900882 (redsoxgirlie95): Me too...

invisiblegirls avatar invisiblegirl Yeah You Are 0Reply

It's called the microcosm-macrocosm principle. Also, what you are talking about sounds somewhat like a fractal of real life. Interesting.

Baconnoisseurs avatar Baconnoisseur Yeah You Are +12Reply
@Baconnoisseur It's called the microcosm-macrocosm principle. Also, what you are talking about sounds somewhat like a fractal of...

ahh i remember fractals those things make you think. just like this webpage: http://htwins.net/scale/ sums up all of the known universe, kinda scary.

@ahh i remember fractals those things make you think. just like this webpage: http://htwins.net/scale/ sums up all...

This is the coolest thing I've ever seen. I sent it to my science teacher. I hope she shows it to the class so they can all see it's awesomeness.

ZombiiPies avatar ZombiiPie Yeah You Are +9Reply

Stoner insight

HopeImrites avatar HopeImrite Yeah You Are +12Reply

I thought of this years ago, actually.
And I agreed until I got to the god part... Maybe another being, but I doubt it would be a deity.

AdonisBatheuss avatar AdonisBatheus Yeah You Are +11Reply

On a similar note, images of armpits (from a certain angle) look like images of woman's loins. It is as though our armpits are a vagina in themselves.

Well crap, my brain just exploded. Now i have to buy a new one

MachoCheezs avatar MachoCheez Yeah You Are +10Reply
@870989

I was JUST thinking that

ItsATraps avatar ItsATrap Yeah You Are 0Reply

So there are billions of humans...and inside each human is a galaxy..then that galaxy has billions of humans and inside each of THOSE humans there's another galaxy and inside that galaxy there's billions of humans... Yeah, I'm gonna be thinking about this while I lay in bed.

What happens when a person dies if this were true? Would everyone in the universe thing die like a real 2012/end of the world situation? Or maybe they would just continue living on a decomposing body with changes in climate slowly bringing it to destruction?
Crazy.

@What happens when a person dies if this were true? Would everyone in the universe thing die like a real 2012/end of...

I've thought of this too. The way I imagined it, time doesn't necessarily work the same in each "universe." So, say, Person/Universe A could take one step, and for the universe within, that could be millions or billions of years. That still doesn't address the original question, but maybe by the time Person/Universe A dies, the universe within and universes within those universes, and so on, will have been in existence for so many trillions+ years that they will have become dead galaxies.

amiwhites avatar amiwhite Yeah You Are +3Reply

This post reminds me of Horton Hears A Who, how the city of Whoville is just a microscopic speck to Horton.

Also during a psychedelic experience, my boyfriend was looking at the night sky and saw the stars form into the shape of a brain. He then closed his eyes and re-opened them and saw the whole universe- and each galaxy was in the shape of a brain. So its really funny you mentioned that. I also really hope you watch those vids, You seem open minded enough to handle them-as your thoughts are very similar to their content.

I instantly thought of this: YouTube video thumbnail

has anyone seen that episode of the Simpsons where the couch gag is similar to this? that's what i thought of!

yasminls avatar yasminl Yeah You Are +5Reply

Highdeassss

2012 will be a doctor operating on the brain we live on...and he'll fail. :P

SexyMonkeys avatar SexyMonkey Yeah You Are +5Reply

hot damn.

sdrawkcaB_mIs avatar sdrawkcaB_mI Yeah You Are +4Reply

I'm pretty sure there was something like this on amirite once, and someone in the comments said how it's disproven because electrons kind of bounce around in an atom and planets in a solar system are in actual orbits. Still, it's mindblowing to think about.

Well my mind was just blown! :o I feel like I'm back in psychology class again.

cloiemitzys avatar cloiemitzy Yeah You Are +4Reply

Deep, but I don't see how they look alike

I've thought this countless times xx

I have always thought about this! What if we ARE just tiny people living in brain cells? That would be crazy.

Whoa.

genes avatar gene Yeah You Are +3Reply

or we could just be like some ant farm to some greater life form out there

Actually, I read something about someone being in a story written by someone else. They meet the writer and have exactly that problem--if the author they met wrote them to write a story that had characters writing a story, that had characters writing a story...And if the author was written by someone who was written by someone who was written...

Tangletalons avatar Tangletalon Yeah You Are +3Reply

deep.

....fuck.

StaceysDads avatar StaceysDad Yeah You Are +2Reply

Kinda like in men in black.

eastcoasts avatar eastcoast Yeah You Are 0Reply

someone's been watching horton hears a who

I often think about this exact thing... It's good to know that I'm not the only one. =]

Sierra43s avatar Sierra43 Yeah You Are +2Reply

I had a conversation about this with my mum yesterday.

@869941

Google images and compare both, you will see!

amiwhites avatar amiwhite Yeah You Are +1Reply
@869957

I used to think about this since I was 8 years old

Bonzos avatar Bonzo Yeah You Are +42Reply
@Bonzo I used to think about this since I was 8 years old

And also, I used to pretend that the food i was eating were planets and i was destroying all of them.

Bonzos avatar Bonzo Yeah You Are +5Reply

I always think this too since I was little

itsbarbiebitchs avatar itsbarbiebitch Yeah You Are +1Reply
@amiwhite Google images and compare both, you will see!

I don're really see the similarity. The only neuron images that look remotely like galaxies aren't accurate, they're just artists' conceptualizations. But I that's just me, maybe if you showed me specific links I'd be able to see it.

@soccerfan I don're really see the similarity. The only neuron images that look remotely like galaxies aren't accurate...

While searching for an example for you, I came across this image which relates a very similar idea...I know that there's "nothing new under the sun" but it's still interesting to see how many other people have thought of the same thing.

amiwhites avatar amiwhite Yeah You Are +8Reply
@xxirishwristwatchxx what do i search exactly?

brain cells, neurons, synapses, space, universe, constellation, galaxy, stars...anything really, just have to find good pictures. And look at this link I posted too:

amiwhites avatar amiwhite Yeah You Are 0Reply

This is some deep shit, man.

Anyone think of this jingle? ;)

I'm 12 and wat is this.

This makes me feel small! Dagnabbit >:[

@FuckingShit This makes me feel small! Dagnabbit >:[

Or, infinitely huge when you think of what's within.

Mind. Blown.

Embezzlements avatar Embezzlement Yeah You Are 0Reply

That would be so interesting if it weren't proven false.

MIND. BLOWN.

solongs avatar solong Yeah You Are 0Reply

Paradox!

So what if the other bigger/smaller universes in/out people's heads are just the alternate dimensions.

It's thoughts like these that give me goosebumps.
My thought is, 'What if everyone else is just a robot, programmed to have certain responses to things I say, and there are people watching me and my reactions to everything? Well, I suppose I COULD ask people around me if they're robots, but what if they really are and they stop working, and then I'll have broken my brain.'

I never thought of this!!! Great

NatalieMois avatar NatalieMoi Yeah You Are 0Reply

well dam...that was deep lol

just like men in black

You are now entering... The Twilight Zone.

Nee nee nee nee, nee nee nee nee....

UkuleleGirls avatar UkuleleGirl Yeah You Are 0Reply

Inception, much? So we're people within a universe that is within a cell, in someone's brain, and then that person is part of a completely different cell/universe thing... I'm confused now XD

We are the universe...Did you know that every atom in your body came from the inside of a star that has died so you can live? Think about it, all the known elements were formed inside the furnace of stars.

I strongly suggest you watch these videos, they explain a lot of what you were talking about in this post. These are beautiful and will really get you thinking. Enjoy xD

Herpes lawyer.

are you all in elementary?! first of all, just because things look the same doesnt mean they are the same. second, THEY DONT LOOK THE SAME! third, if they are being analyzed this much then they would have found the "little galaxies" in them, search up an electron microscope

Cool story bro.

2nd comment as POTD!! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

@Anonymously_Awesome 2nd comment as POTD!! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Hey, hey you see those people over there? gestures to an empty space
Those are all the people that care.